Where did you get a quality fidget spinner?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stateofmind, May 17, 2017.

1. kchacker

kchacker Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +259 / 5 / -0
    I had not even heard of these spinner deals until last Tuesday when I kid I help brought one in. I didn't know it had a purpose, I just thought it was a toy.

The thread has derailed but I might as well join the fray. The kid that brought in the spinner has never been officially diagnosed as ADHD, but his Mom is convinced he is. From my work with him, he's more than capable of remaining on task, he just prefers not to and knows he'll be able to get away with it if he continues to push. He can do the work, he would just rather be doing something else like playing on an iPad or messing around with Star Wars toys.

2. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +4,631 / 46 / -0
    Fair enough. With my kid I was skeptical but convinced when we gave in and filled the prescription for an ADHD medication. The first day he took it he said he wanted to take it every day. He struggled to fully articulate why but what I was able to piece together was the difference was like trying to do homework standing up in the middle of a busy train station without to working in a study carrel in a quiet library with it.

I won't derail anymore.

3. CycloneSarah

CycloneSarah Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Female
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Not a spinner but I bought a fidget item from this site (the one with a single link) for work to replace my constant playing with a pen cap during meetings and I love it! Thinking about getting another one for watching tv at home so I stop multitasking doing something on my phone at the same time.

https://www.fidgetland.com/shopall/

• Like Like x 1
  4. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +648 / 15 / -0
    As a guy that grew up with it with no diagnosis I have never used this as an excuse. I got diagnosed to see if I could work with my wife more. I read an article about a couple that suffered from depression/OCD and he suffered from ADHD and how he drove her nuts. (queue the brilliant jokes that are afoot) Anyway I thought I would go to a renowned Psychiatrist in KC and see if I could do anything about it. He had a sophisticated test and was amazed how bad I was, and how much I've accomplished.

I've tried some drugs, but never really could get used to it. I have lived my life with it after all, I've learned to cope and remove some triggers. With a Psychologist's help, and some hard work I've really helped out my life and marriage.

If you choose to believe ADD or ADHD is just something everybody has, just some can't control it, you probably believe Depression is just general sadness, Fibromyalgia is just getting old, peanut allergies are just weakness, and I can't help explain this to you.

But I do know that I can fidget with things that drive those nuts around me, and by playing with something I can actually listen/understand things better. So I apologize for wanting something quiet that can help me and not annoy others.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +648 / 15 / -0
    Now that is cool. I've always loved the feel of bike chains.

6. kchacker

kchacker Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +259 / 5 / -0
    I should have stated that wasn't directed at you, just my personal experience with one 9 year old.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Daserop

Daserop Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Space Debris Collection
    The Bebop
    Ratings:
    +214 / 16 / -0
    Is this some new fad? Like the shoes with the one wheel?

8. stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +648 / 15 / -0
    Yes, I had never seen one before May, now I see them everywhere. Many schools are outlawing them because they are creating arguments, theft, injury, jealousy, distraction, etc.

9. Sighclone Fan

Sighclone Fan Active Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Male
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -0
    I fear for children who take ADHD medication from an early age. I have seen what it does to friends who have taken it since their youth - complete dependence. Of course it helps, it's scary how well it works (got me through many finals and projects in college). But if you look at the long term effect it's even scarier how dependent you become and how mushy your brain is without it. It's speed for cripes sakes..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. andybernard

andybernard Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Ratings:
    +483 / 15 / -0
    I assume you're referring to me as the "jaded teacher". I think you may have misread my comment. I fully understand that ADHD is a real thing. Fidget spinners did not help my two students that have been diagnosed with it...at all. However, the comment was pointed more towards all of the other students who then claimed that they have ADHD so they could play with a toy during class.

• Like Like x 1
  11. VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +4,631 / 46 / -0
    Then I did indeed misread your comment. As I posted before I apologize. I have doubts this would help but be more of a distraction. Some times the simpler the better so that the focus item doesn't become another distraction.

12. VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +4,631 / 46 / -0
    We didn't want to go down that road, but it was clear that he wasn't going to be able to sustain spending all evening every evening doing homework with a parent's help when he was just starting elementary. How was he going to function successfully when he got to higher grades with more demands.

But really is it making you brain mushy without it or was the brain always that mushy without it?