Where Are They Now: One of ISU's all-time great running backs, Alexander Robinson

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Must have been very satisfying to beat the Goofers in a bowl game.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Thanks again!

Just curious, Rob.

Would it be possible to do a series with some of the older, more iconic names in Cyclone history?

Not necessarily a “WATN”, but a “Stroll Down Memory Lane”. Guys as far back as George Amundson, Matt Blair or Dean Uthoff. Asking not only some of their favorite memories on the field or in practice, but of Ames, Campustown or their favorite parts of campus as well.

Or, some of the capers and hijinx they got up to while here. Because everyone did at that age.

One of my favorite stories that Johnny ever told me had to do with decking a guy. I can’t repeat that one on a public forum, but that was so...Johnny.

I do remember that in the late Seventies, we had guys in the NFL like Mike Stachan, Luther Blue and Ike Harris—aside from the obvious Blair and Stensrud.

Shoot, I’d even like to hear who remembers something as mundane and iconic a fixture of Campustown as Pizza House. Or going to the midnight showings of Rocky Horror.

I was just remembering one Spring game years ago. I glanced over, and realized that the big guy sitting a couple of seats away from me in shorts and a tank was Matt Blair. It was a few years after he retired, but he was watching the action closely—and looked like he still could have gone down on the field and taught those kids a few lessons. The hard way.

Anyway, just something I’d thought about, Rob. And it seemed like right up your alley. Thanks for your time!

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Great piece, but I noticed an inaccuracy. It says as of 2009 ISU hadn’t won a bowl game since 2000, but that misses the Independence Bowl win over Miami Ohio.