When you get a pizza, be sure to go back home.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
The idea for this thread comes from a recent extended trip to Cuenca, Ecuador. I went to a local pizzeria and had pizza a couple nights in a row. The pizza wasn't bad and had the normal pizza-ey toppings such as peppers, mushrooms, sausage (the hot dog kind), and probably one or two others which I can't recall. It wasn't bad, but was was not embedded in a tomato sauce, It did have some sort of cheese in the center that might have been mozzarella.. The fact that it was a two for one promotion helped ease any disapontment.

I was reminded of Ray Stevens "Haircut Song" about the problems he had getting a haircut away from home. Coming from the author of "The Streak", "The Shriner's Convention", and "Ahab, the Arab", you can imagine they were unique.

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Gyumri, Armenia where there was a pizzeria we gave custom to. I don't remember what was on them, but I don't remember a lot of sauce, but rather a covering of thinly sliced tomatoes.

I actually preferred the Georgean restaurant and their katchapuri, the "cheesy bread" that Jenna Bush raved about on her segments during the Winter Olympics. There are about six different versions, one for each provence, none of which wants to be associated with any of the others. The version we got was like a medium cheese pizza covered with an outer crust with fat dripping from every orifice.

But the particular food item that fits the idea of the thread was the chili that I had at a restaurant in Yerevan. I don't remember the name; only that the sign out front was a seguaro cactus. I went inside and ordered a bowl of chili to allay any homesickness I might have had. It was completely alien to anything I would have recognized as chili. It had no beans, but I recognize that is the subject of passioned debate. It had no tomato base; the base was actually a broth that was akin to soy sauce with vegetables. I would never have identified it.

So, the question is "What have you had that you wish was from home?"

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Beef, pork and AE dairy products. I spent some time outside of IA during and after college and always had my parents bring out a cooler full of AE stuff (cottage cheese, party dip, milk, etc.).

I would say nothing while traveling. I like seeing how they prepare things in whatever region I'm in, even if it sucks.

Last edited:

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I agree with all of the above. I have noticed that butter seems strange to me anywhere outside the midwest.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Speaking of pizza, I lived in Chicago for a couple of years, and I still miss the deep dish pizza there. Giordanos, Gino's, Lou Malnati's, Exchequers, Pizzeria Uno... nothing in Iowa is as good.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I may be incorrect, probably are, but isn't the OP asking what food you've experienced elsewhere that you could bring back to your locale?

His story of the "chili" that wasn't very good makes me think his question was "what foreign foods have you had that made you wish for the good stuff back home". Of course my rambling about Chicago pizza was a little off topic.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
A few years ago I taught English as a Foreign Language in Lithuania (during the summer). They had some amazing food & drink - their Brats, Sauerkraut, Pear Cider and Banana & Chocolate Crepes were to die for (& better than any I have tried in the states). Yet the best thing I had was called a Cepelinai. It's stuffed potato dumplings. The dumplings are made from grated and riced potatoes and stuffed with ground meat or dry curd cheese or mushrooms. A bacon topping and/or cream sauce was sometimes added to the dish. Below is one such example: cepelinai_zpsp1uoxsfr.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Happy Joe's. Omg, I miss their taco pizza in the worst way.

No kidding. When my wife and I talk about taco pizza with our friends here in Michigan they kind of get a blank stare, the "what the **** are you talking about?" kind. It's like the concept doesn't even compute with them.

Reactions: harimad

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Speaking of pizza, I lived in Chicago for a couple of years, and I still miss the deep dish pizza there. Giordanos, Gino's, Lou Malnati's, Exchequers, Pizzeria Uno... nothing in Iowa is as good.

Just goes to show that taste is individual. All of those places are 15 or less minutes from my house. I still prefer Happy Joe's.

And as @jdoggivjc, mentioned, Whitey's Ice Cream. Wow. Oberweis is good, but it still has nothing on Whitey's.

(in my opinion)

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
You can find a good pork tenderloin at almost any restaurant in Iowa and very rarely even find one on a menu outside the midwest.

Maid-rites.

Casey's breakfast pizza.