When is a permit required?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I'm currently in the middle of remodeling a home I bought last year, and so far most of the improvements we've made have been cosmetic: new carpet, paint, counters, fixtures, doors, you get the idea. However, the plan for this spring is to start on the exterior of the house by replacing/expanding an existing deck.

Although I haven't inspected the foundation of the existing deck yet, I doubt I'd be reusing the footings because the shape of the deck itself is less than optimal, so the plan would be to demolish and start over with a larger deck.

My question is will the new deck require a permit, and if so, from the county or city or both? Any idea on ballpark costs for a permit in this scenario? Somewhat complicating the situation is that my address is Ankeny, but I believe I'm technically outside of city limits on the southwest side of town by Saylorville.

If you start from scratch, yes. And the county handles permitting in the unincorporated areas. If you were only replacing the top boards and not changing the dimensions, I'd say you could probably get away without one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron