Wheel noise turning left

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
ive been to the VW dealership 4 times for this and they can’t fix it, if anyone has any idea what might be causing this please let me know.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Yep, sounds like a bad CV joint on the video but you'd think the dealership would notice that.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sounds like you’ve got a slight tick in your turn left mechanism joint casing. I’d replace the steering wheel and see what happens. If that doesn’t work you may just want to try combinations of random car features things like turning your heat on, then turning the wipers on delay, then switch your radio to Am, then put it in neutral before you turn left.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yep, sounds like a bad CV joint on the video but you'd think the dealership would notice that.

They very well could have.

I'd take it there if there's any sort of warranty.

Cars: so useful, yet so stupid.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I think its probably the emissions cheating device rubbing on something. :) Seriously though, my vote is CV as well.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Does it only make the noise when turning full left?

If so, I would a bit surprised if it was a wheel bearing... the ones I've been around that went bad always made noise turning one way vs the other, but it was more of a howl noise when going around around a curve at speed. CV joint problem seems plausible.

If AWD or there is any type of limited slip differential, it could also be something weird with that not letting the tires turn different speeds sufficiently at a certain driveline geometry. It's hard to hear the sound well enough in the video to really characterize specifics, but I have had both GM and Toyota SUVs that would make noise occasionally when turning full lock. Never seemed to affect anything, though.

I would also inspect plastic bits in the left rear inner fender / right front inner fender and make sure something isn't rubbing. Dealer should have checked that, but it might be different driving around with side forces on everything and suspension moving vs looking at it static on a lift.

• Informative
Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
AWD VW Atlas. 7000 miles.
It’s like a creaking, rubbing sound mostly heard at low speeds (5-19) in a parking lot going over bumps, or going slow on a gravel road, really noticeable when turning left even on smooth pavement , nothing when turning right.
1st time I brought it in they said they replaced some parts in the left from wheel area (some linkage or arm or something), next time I brought it in they said the strut boots were installed incorrectly and repositioned them, next time I brought it in they replaced right front strut and that took two trips. Called this morning and their computer system is down so they can’t get me scheduled to look at it.
If the noise is really noticeable when turning left vs turning right does that mean it’s something in the left wheel? Or doesn’t that really help diagnose it at all?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm never buying a VW again, especially a first year model. We've had a few small issues pop up on my wife's Tiguan and it sounds like it's common.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Sounds like you’ve got a slight tick in your turn left mechanism joint casing. I’d replace the steering wheel and see what happens. If that doesn’t work you may just want to try combinations of random car features things like turning your heat on, then turning the wipers on delay, then switch your radio to Am, then put it in neutral before you turn left.

Cars are basically computers... Power cycle?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
ive been to the VW dealership 4 times for this and they can’t fix it, if anyone has any idea what might be causing this please let me know.

Sounds like someone's trying to get out of a trunk.

What are the lemon laws these days?