What's Your Fong's?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Definitely all about the honey garlic on alfredo or the thai chicken (i love the thai peanut sauce).

I'm with Angie on the crab rangoon being overrated. I mean, its not bad, but its not the amazingness it gets talked about either.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Definitely all about the honey garlic on alfredo or the thai chicken (i love the thai peanut sauce).

I'm with Angie on the crab rangoon being overrated. I mean, its not bad, but its not the amazingness it gets talked about either.

I love thai peanut sauce as a general rule, so I was hoping that one would be pretty solidly safe. I am now 100% invested in the honey garlic on alfredo.

You described the rangoon pizza much better than I managed. It's just not mind-blowing.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Ooh, we've always gotten it there, but they definitely could have updated their menu. That would make me sad.

I am becoming increasingly convinced on this honey garlic!

My favorites are the Crab Rangoon, Mac & Cheese, Bacon Popper and Iowan.

Honey Garlic is decent too. Sometimes I think it's too sweet. Kind of depends what you're in the mood for.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Given the thread title, I thought the question was going to be Ankeny Fong's or downtown location. Never tried the Ankeny one but part of the draw for me for Fong's is the old Chinese restaurant location downtown, so I don't know if you lose something not having that atmosphere (or maybe they recreated a decent version of it)?

I'm good with slice of the the Crab Rangoon, but isn't my fav by any means. That said, I'll eat about any of them, so I'm not really a good source for narrowing down choices there.
You lose the raw sewage smell...

Minsky's in KC. Bacon Cheeseburger pizza. Thai pizza is pretty good too. Hell, they're all good.
I remember living in KC and somebody told me that Minsky's was started by the same guys that started Godfather's, but one wanted to franchise and the other didn't, so they used the same recipe going forward. After having both I believe the story.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
You lose the raw sewage smell...

I remember living in KC and somebody told me that Minsky's was started by the same guys that started Godfather's, but one wanted to franchise and the other didn't, so they used the same recipe going forward. After having both I believe the story.

How does/did that tie into the Ames Minskys?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Did you not see the quote above my post about downtown Fong's?

How does Ames and Minsky's tie together? :)

There used to be a Minsky's in Ames. Out by the West HyVee I think? My parents ate there in the 70's and I think it was there for a bit when I was there in the early 00's.

Reactions: stateofmind

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Came into thread expecting discussion on stringy women's undergarments, re-read title, left disappointed.

giphy.gif

• Funny

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There used to be a Minsky's in Ames. Out by the West HyVee I think? My parents ate there in the 70's and I think it was there for a bit when I was there in the early 00's.

The '00s edition was in the Szechuan House / Cazador building.

0.jpg

The '70s version was at 118 Hayward (where Domino's used to be).

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Our family is going to Fong's for Mother's Day. We have personally tried over the years: the crag rangoon (I don't personally love it), the bacon popper (amazing), an Asian-themed one that isn't on the menu anymore and I can't remember, General Tso's (really good), and the kids have had regular red-sauce-and-cheese.

What is your favorite Fong's pizza? There are several that look good to me to try new (see below) - are any of these your favorite? Or a totally different one? MENU

Potential options:
- Thai Chicken
- Fongolian Beef
- Sesame Chicken
- Honey and Garlic (this reads as intriguing, but not sure if it's amazing or could be terrible?)
Find a toilet when you are done.

• Informative

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron