What's your favorite 70s football memory?

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Funny, my parents found out that I was conceived previous to the Peach Bowl. Morning sickness ruined my mothers trip.

ICCLONEGAL

May 8, 2006
Iowa City
I believe it was 1974.........Playing Nebraska at home. Prior to the game - Nebraska Fan, dressed in his red and white bibs with his big red cowboy hat and the white"N" on the front of it, decides to take the LONG way to his seat and walk in front of the student section thusly getting pummeled with oranges.

I also fondly remember Clyde Williams Stadium when the crowd would really get into it. The stands would sway up and down. Great fun for a Freshman that had never experienced a college football game before.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Funny, my parents found out that I was conceived previous to the Peach Bowl. Morning sickness ruined my mothers trip.
Sounds like there was a lot of conceiving going on by Cyclone fans headed for the Peach Bowl!!!:biglaugh: No wonder we had a spike in enrollment at ISU about 18 years later!!! My son, who was born May, 1978 now works near San Diego but will be back for the Colorado game-by that time we will be bowl eligible and we'll be making plans for the bowl trip!!:yes:

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
Other memories of the 76 / 77 / 78 teams:

+ We had a front line of: Manyard & Myron Stensrud / Ron McFarland and ??
+ I saw the first game at the new stadium vs Air Force and the AF kicker set a stadium record of 63-yd FG

I want to say Rick White (from Burlington and he looked really scrawny next to the Stensrud Bro.

Stadium announcer "Folks that has to be a new stadium record."

I gotta go with the Luther Blue kickreturn for six as the most electric moment I've experienced at J.T.:smile::smile:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I was in Lincoln in 77, bought tickets there and ended up in the NU faculty seating section. The fans around me were yucking it up after Hipp's early td romp, but by the end of the game they were screaming for Osborne's head. How sweet it was and how sweet it is.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
Mine will clearly be the '72 game vs. Nebraska at Clyde Williams field. I was in high school, and Nebraska was near the top of the rankings with Johnny Rodgers as running back, Devaney as coach.

The Cyclones scored at the very end of the game to tie it at 23, then Tom Goedjen (?) missed his one and only extra point in his career. The score remained tied, and in those days, there was no overtime.

Amundsen, Ike Harris, Wille Jones, Keith Krepfle, Big Daddy Hunt and so on and so on. That game endeared me to be a Cyclone thre rest of my life.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I was in Lincoln in 77, bought tickets there and ended up in the NU faculty seating section. The fans around me were yucking it up after Hipp's early td romp, but by the end of the game they were screaming for Osborne's head. How sweet it was and how sweet it is.
The word in 1978 was that Osborne personally came to an early 1978 ISU game in Ames to scout us out for their game with us later in the year. There was no way he could stand to have us win a third game in a row over them!

jaws90us

Nov 3, 2006
The 1972 football game with Nebraska in Clyde Williams. The last drive which I think was maybe the best in Iowa State history. I think it was like 76 yards in barely over a minute. It featured a great one handed catch by Krefle. Ike Harris made several key receptions. It was capped off by George Admundson hitting Willie Jones on a out and up pattern for the touchdown. I remember you couldn't hardly see Admundson for the Nebraska white shirts around him. Just saw his arm releasing the football just before he was buried beneath all those bodies.

We all went crazy as we knotted up the score 23 to 23. All that was left was the extra point. I remember Tom Goedjen a sophmore at the time trotting out on the field. Think so much pressure on the kid. He kicked it and hit the crossbar and bounded away. I felt bad, not so much for the tie, but for him. Interesting to note that he responded by never missing another kick in his career as a Cyclone.

I lived out in the towers and many of the players were out there too. It was fun to tell them great game. I still think about that day everynow and then. It was and always will be a great day to be a Cyclone!!!!!!!!

tellmac

May 10, 2006
one of mine is all the assistant coaches we had before they were "names" Joe Avezzano '72, Joe Bugel "73, Pete Carroll "78, Larry Coyer '79, and Jackie Sherrill '72. and honorable mention Jimmy "how bout them Cowboys" Johnson '68-69. some great names there.

And a guy named Mack Brown--some staff!!

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Someone in the know who is a member here will have to confirm this, and it would have had to been in 1974 because that was the only year Earle Bruce coached against Nebraska in Clyde Williams. But it was wet that week and I heard he pulled the tarps out of Clyde Williams and let the grass grow a bit and after the game, Bob Devaney was so ****** he offered to buy Iowa State new tarps.
Those were fun times in Clyde Williams. I love Jack Trice as well..both stadiums have a ton of memories.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I just thought of another thing. This isn't an on-the-field thing, but every Monday at noon, Earle Bruce would be in the Maintainance Shop with a screen and film projector and would show the previous weeks game. It was the coaches tape, not a TV broadcast, and had no sound of course and Earle would just comment as he went along and anyone could ask questions if they wanted. No special invites, just anyone that wanted to could show up. I can't remember how many years he did this but I never heard of any other coach doing it.

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
I just thought of another thing. This isn't an on-the-field thing, but every Monday at noon, Earle Bruce would be in the Maintainance Shop with a screen and film projector and would show the previous weeks game. It was the coaches tape, not a TV broadcast, and had no sound of course and Earle would just comment as he went along and anyone could ask questions if they wanted. No special invites, just anyone that wanted to could show up. I can't remember how many years he did this but I never heard of any other coach doing it.

Yeah, that was awesome. I remember one week an offensive tackle named Cuvilier (sp) had a crushing block in the backfield on a reverse. Earl cackled like a school girl and played it over about three times.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Monday's lunch sessions at the Maint Shop were awesome. Donnie Duncan continued the tradition, but I think it eventually died there.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I had a friend that was a defensive end and a freshman in the mid 70's. I am NOT going to reveal who it was. Naturally, a freshman wasn't going to get much playing time on that defense. Anyway, one night I had a few beers in me, and I called Earle Bruce on the phone at his house (everyone was listed back then, I think it was before coaches really had celebrity status) and asked him how come my friend wasn't getting on the field.
Believe it or not, he actually talked to me about it for a couple minutes and we said our goodbyes. But...when I told my friend what I had done he about pulverized me!!!

It would be akin in this day and age of calling Paul Rhoads at home and asking him why a certain back wasn't seeing action.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
When that guy came off the bench (Okie State I think) and tackled Buddy Hardeman as he was running for a touchdown

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com
1976 Cyclones Earle Bruce era

It was the Bi-centennial, and the team finished the season with an 8–3 record and a No. 18 ranking, but was snubbed by the bowls even though their losses were to the #1, #2 and #3 teams in the country. But to be fair (if you can call it that) There weren't that many bowl games back then to go around. So even after all these years, it doesn't really matter how good we got. Coach Bruce was selected as the Big Eight Coach of the year and had four players garner all conference honors, including All-American Split End, Luther Blue. Iowa State would have tied for a share of the Big Eight title with a win over Oklahoma St. in the season finale, but they lost. They did however upset Nebraska 37–28, (their first win over Nebraska since 1960)

In 1979 I did get to shake hands with then Iowa State assistant coach, Pete Carroll. (no big deal then)

The '76 team did not lose to the top three teams it was the '71 team. They got beat pretty handily by kNU and OU but they should have beaten CU (24-14)

Anyway, my memory was 1970 against OU at Clyde Williams. Though ISU lost 29-28, that game was the turning point for good things to come.

It was homecoming weekend and after the game my folks took my brother out for supper with the other OG - Mike Terrizzi. Why Mike? Because like us, he was from NJ.

The thing that blew me away (I was 13) was how many people came up to our table and shook my brother's and Mike's hand telling them how great the game was.

It blew me away that two guys from Jersey were "famous" in Iowa...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I remember during the 79 season. I was 5 years old. I will still never forget walking into our hotel in Lincoln and they had an Iowa State casket. With candles lit around it. I had been at my great uncles funeral a few weeks earlier and saw the casket and got scared. No mind you this was like a normal holiday inn type joint. That is when I knew that these people only liked Nebraska. I was freakin 5 and I remember that.

Other than that playing football in the ditch with some other kids. Every saturday at our home games we would drive the motor home up and park right next to the ditch. Then we played football against these other kids. I remember one of them was named Lincoln. I thought it was strange.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Mine will clearly be the '72 game vs. Nebraska at Clyde Williams field. I was in high school, and Nebraska was near the top of the rankings with Johnny Rodgers as running back, Devaney as coach.

The Cyclones scored at the very end of the game to tie it at 23, then Tom Goedjen (?) missed his one and only extra point in his career. The score remained tied, and in those days, there was no overtime.

Amundsen, Ike Harris, Wille Jones, Keith Krepfle, Big Daddy Hunt and so on and so on. That game endeared me to be a Cyclone thre rest of my life.

Me, too! Wasn't at that game (my sr. year of high school) but I was glued to the radio.

One of my favorite memories was getting a sideline press pass and shooting B&W photos (for JLMC 317 photography class) the year Joe Washington and the Sooners came to town. Still have some prints and negatives of that game. Got a cool double-exposure of the Clyde Williams scoreboard and the gate I entered for games.

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
Since so there's been so much talk about our first win in Memorial Stadium since 1977, I thought it'd fun for us old guys to recall those glory players/games of the 70s. If the names Mike Strahan, Buddy Hardeman, Wayne Stanley, Dexter Green, Luther Blue, Mike or Maynard Strensrud, Tom Boskey or others bring back fond memories, let's hear 'em.

Definitely the 76 Nebraska game. As a freshman it was quite the sight to see all those NU fans in red and white head to toe. After the game, a buddy grabbed a big red stetson and ran. the old (he might have been 40, but when you're 18, that's old, right?!) guy chased him all the way to the east hall parking lot where my pal just gave it up and said enough. we stil talk about that one every year at the Neb game...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron