What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
I get it, you picked your academic program and Mommy and Daddy picked your athletic program. I cheered for my Dad's teams too when I was a little kid. I am grateful I didn't consider it a lifetime contract and that I cannot comprehend rooting for a school other than the one I attend/attended.

You gotta love "that guy". An attention ***** stirring stuff up in every school, office, bar, message board, stadium and arena. My favorite is when "that guy" is inbred with two parents that are superfans of a university that they didn't attend either.

BTW, if I was going to bandwagon, I would sure as hell pick a better program than Iowa. The excuses are easy. You see, Florida shares my high school colors and I have always cheered for those colors and blah blah blah...

I don't want to get all Dr. Phil, but you guys clinging to your autographed hayden Fry BIKE shorts are looking for hugs not (Squawk) thugs.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
I know lots of people and MANY friends who got to Iowa and either 1) Don't like the Hawkeyes at all OR 2) Just don't give a crap about their athletic programs.

Obviously it's totally different when you cheer for ISU even though they didn't attend ISU. Jeesh, I everyone knew that.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think this is due to ISU having very few bandwagon fans. Your either a fan of ISU because you went there or you have family that did. There are very few people (at least that I know) that are ISU fans because its the cool thing to do. Once ISU starts winning that will change and the bandwagon fans will be out in full force.

Agreed. Why would someone choose to be a bandwagon ISU fan?? Because you like getting your heart ripped out? Minus a few years, our bandwagon has been broken down for some time.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Did you cheer for the neighboring town when you were in high school? Doubt it. This is the same thing x1,000. Why would you cheer for a university you have no intenion of ever attending over the one you actually attend. It makes no sense to me. One exception would be growing up in the shadow of the school you cheer for and going to the other school begrudginly because of the major...

Rep to you. If you lived next to and rooted for Dowling your whole life but went to Valley, why in the world would you continue rooting for Dowling over Valley is beyond me...

I thought I was going to be a hawk fan that went to ISU but after 1 tailgate and football game, that changed immediately.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What does it matter? The few people that go to ISU who are fans of other schools aren't the ones we need to worry about. There are plenty of ISU graduates who aren't Hawkeye fans living within 2 hours of Ames that never go to games. Those are the ones we need to be looking at.

For the record a few years ago we had an Iowa grad get season tickets with us. They just had a good time with us and enjoyed the atmosphere. There is a huge portion of the student body at both ISU and Iowa that really could care less about any of the sports teams.

I was an English major and I would bet less than 5% of my classmates really cared about any of the teams.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Rep to you. If you lived next to and rooted for Dowling your whole life but went to Valley, why in the world would you continue rooting for Dowling over Valley is beyond me...

I thought I was going to be a hawk fan that went to ISU but after 1 tailgate and football game, that changed immediately.

The same thing happened with my brother. Seems like the best cure for Hawkness.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Have we ever actually technically "sold-out" the stadium? Even for kNebraska or EIU games? I'm not sure we ever have, as I don't think they list a maximum capacity for the hillsides.

I don't know if the UNI game was an "official" sellout, but it should have been. There were some really bad sightlines for some of the late comers on the hillsides.

Last edited:

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The UNI game was a record attendance of 56,795.

The official capacity of the stadium including hillsides is 55,000.

Edit: The UNI game the year before was also a sellout at 55,518.

Edit2: The Nebraska game of 1990 was attended by
54,475 but the official capacity of the stadium at the time was 50,000.

Last edited:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I went Oskaloosa and lived in Pella for half my life and never did I cheer for Pella, nor would I now.

I would bet there aren't a lot of Aggie fans at UT or vice versa. I doubt too many Duke fans attend UNC or flaunt it like Hawks. You would also never see some Navy guy wearing Army gear. You should place your allegiance for your school, no matter what. I really like the Brazillian Soccer team but I think I would cheer for the US team first.

My favorite hawkeye bashing at ISU was last year in the dining center. Rachael Pierson( women's bball) stood up at her table and started ripping this guy a new one. He was wearing a sweatshirt and she went off dropping f-bombs and every other word in the book.

Maybe being a Hawk fan at ISU should be a don't ask don't tell situation.? and how could you ever be proud to be a Hawk sports fan?

I can't speak for UT, but the city of Austin actually has a rather large contingent of Aggie fans and A&M alumni -- probably because Austin has a lot of strong engineering and technology companies. It's actually kind of funny because the A&M fans act like UT is their big rival and think that the Longhorns hate them, when in fact most UT folks I've encountered don't really bother with A&M too much. They still hate them, yes, but not the in the same kind of bloody loathing that they have for, say, OU.

This whole discussion reminds me a bit of the Mighty Ducks film. You know when Banks gets dropped from the Hawks and starts playing for District 5 because of the new districting rules? Then his dad still supports the Hawks and wears all the Hawks gear, and is sitting in the Hawks section when the Ducks play them for the championship.

I guess the point I was making was that people cling very strongly to their prior allegiances. I grew up in Ames and went to ISU, but if--God forbid--I went to Iowa, I would not be a Hawk fan. It just does not jive with everything I hold dear and every cosmic and atomic portion of my soul.

btw, I always interpreted the Hawks of the Mighty Ducks to be an allegory for the real Hawks, whom I also loathed. :wink:

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
If you are a current student or graduate of Iowa State University you need to be a Cyclone fan. You should not be able to be a fan (which is short for fanatic) of any other team. Period. End of story. To have it any other way would be the equivalent of a guy playing for the Chicago Bears but currently being a Green Bay Packers fan.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I personally think you should base your team allegiance based on where you go, or plan on going to school. It's college football. Why would you not cheer for YOUR college. Oh yeah, you jumped on a bandwagon when you were 10. Clone fans who didn't go State at least put up with cheering for a "less succesful program" so despite the fact they didn't come here, they didn't base their allegiance on w's and l's. They based it on something bigger. Most "typical" hawk fans would despise most spoiled-rich kid-from chicago-douche-UoI student. Go cheer for Duke or the Yankees. You just point out that most Hawk fans are just bandwagon ****sticks.

Jumped on the bandwagon at age 10? Ha! I've lived my entire life in Eastern Iowa and grew up in a 100% Hawkeye family. Check out any of my baby pictures and there's a good chance I'll be wearing black and gold. It's just something I grew up with and the school at which I chose to receive my college education was not going to change that.

And while we're on the subject of bandwagon fans...um, pot, meet kettle. If my 4 years at ISU taught me anything it's that ISU fans are VERY fairweather. If they're not winning, or playing Iowa/Nebraska, they simply don't care!

Did you cheer for the neighboring town when you were in high school? Doubt it. This is the same thing x1,000.

No I didn't, but then again I didn't grow up in a family that cheered for the neighboring town. Not to mention I didn't get to choose which high school I attended. So no...it's not the same thing...at all.

One exception would be growing up in the shadow of the school you cheer for and going to the other school begrudginly because of the major...

Oh, you mean like growing up 40 miles away from Iowa City and wanting to major in graphic design?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
If you are a current student or graduate of Iowa State University you need to be a Cyclone fan. You should not be able to be a fan (which is short for fanatic) of any other team. Period. End of story. To have it any other way would be the equivalent of a guy playing for the Chicago Bears but currently being a Green Bay Packers fan.

I promise you, if I ever play for ISU, I'll become an ISU fan.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
Jumped on the bandwagon at age 10? Ha! I've lived my entire life in Eastern Iowa and grew up in a 100% Hawkeye family. Check out any of my baby pictures and there's a good chance I'll be wearing black and gold. It's just something I grew up with and the school at which I chose to receive my college education was not going to change that.

And while we're on the subject of bandwagon fans...um, pot, meet kettle. If my 4 years at ISU taught me anything it's that ISU fans are VERY fairweather. If they're not winning, or playing Iowa/Nebraska, they simply don't care!

No I didn't, but then again I didn't grow up in a family that cheered for the neighboring town. Not to mention I didn't get to choose which high school I attended. So no...it's not the same thing...at all.

Oh, you mean like growing up 40 miles away from Iowa City and wanting to major in graphic design?

IRONY AT ITS BEST! irony - Definitions from Dictionary.com

You got to choose which college you attended? YOU DON'T SAY!

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Not to mention I didn't get to choose which high school I attended. So no...it's not the same thing...at all.

IRONY AT ITS BEST! irony - Definitions from Dictionary.com

You got to choose which college you attended? YOU DON'T SAY!

Wow...you totally missed the point there.
With all due respect, DJK, I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make. It sounds like you're saying you DO cheer for your high school's sports teams because you DIDN'T get to choose where you went to high school. Conversely, you DON'T cheer for your college's sports teams because you DID choose to go there. Explain to me how that makes sense? :confused:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So you are not going to pay $95 to go to their spring game. There is a fan base that wont complain about what ISU charges them for tickets. That is until we beat them.

So why do they complain about no single game tickets at Ames if they pay that much for a spring game?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
With all due respect, DJK, I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make. It sounds like you're saying you DO cheer for your high school's sports teams because you DIDN'T get to choose where you went to high school. Conversely, you DON'T cheer for your college's sports teams because you DID choose to go there. Explain to me how that makes sense? :confused:

He's a hawk fan that went to ISU. Do you really expect him to make any sense?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron