What's with all the Iowa State students/grads who aren't Cyclone fans?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DMBclone

Nov 27, 2006
Kansas City, MO
I have to admit...I was "that guy" quite often during my years at ISU. But I wasn't flaunting it. You bring up pride - I was just proud to be a Hawkeye fan.

I think people that like to be "that guy" is funny. I had a friend of mine who is an Iowa fan come to the Iowa ISU game last year and he wasn't wearing any Iowa or ISU gear. I asked him why and his response was "I'm in Ames...when in Rome..." My girlfriend goes to the UofI and when I go to visit her I don't wear ISU gear. Why? Because its Iowa City.

I got nothing against "that guy" I just think its funny. I guess whatever floats your boat.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Fellow Americans....
A Sun Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Big 12 Championship game, BCS game would fix attendance. Its all about winning. What has ISU done to make fans come out in full force? They would get your hopes up and then get beat by 57 points against OU. over and over......They really need to get a win over a major program (that isn't down)
I would bet 2 male parts and my grand caravan that we would be having sellouts for every game if we had 3 seasons in a row like above. Its easy to go to a game when your team is good. As for those who wants to bring up the big12 championship game against Mizzou. 2 things.
1. it was cold as North Canada on Christmas.
2. It was as windy as rush limbaugh on meds.
3. I still believe our record was a symbol of an easy schedule and everyone in the North sucking. ISU fans have been beaten for so long its going to take a while for them to get back.

Side note. What do you think will happen to Iowa's Attendants if they win 5 or 6 games this year with their favorable schedule? Then they have the next few years with the Big dogs back on it. If they played their cards right, in 3 years they might be averaging the same as ISU. I know a few hawks from Des Moines that are not willing to keep paying that kind of money to go watch crap on saturday when it takes 90 minutes to drive there at $3.50 gallon. Its easier to just watch it on TV. They better have a decent season this year or they could be in trouble.

As far as Hawk fans going to ISU. Thats fine, but don't be that annoying guy that is at an ISU bar glued to an Iowa game against Northwestern screaming and yelling there brains out. Thats grounds for dismissal and a woodshed beating.

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Fellow Americans....
I would bet 2 male parts and my grand caravan that we would be having sellouts for every game if we had 3 seasons in a row like above.
As far as Hawk fans going to ISU. Thats fine, but don't be that annoying guy that is at an ISU bar glued to an Iowa game against Northwestern screaming and yelling there brains out. Thats grounds for dismissal and a woodshed beating.

Dude, I read your post and it makes good sense, but then you totally discredit yourself by betting your grand caravan???? That's like betting a warm open bottle of beer that has sat outside in 90 degree temps all day. :wink:

When I was at school in the late 80's early 90's there were not many people flaunting the EIU clothing and if they were around I went out of my way to harass them till they came to their senses. I grew up in a Cyclone family so I was a Cyclone coming to college but the experiences rooting on the FB ***whoopings and BB with Johnny Orr solidified my allegiance. Hawk fans coming to Ames have probably been brainwashed and have burned up brain cells from being around second hand cigarettes laced with cocaine and/or diesel fuel, pot, crank, crack, hash, dried cow manure, and bat guano smoke and probably lost use of the brain that affects common sense and learning ability so we just have to keep them in our prayers so healing can take place.....:yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I go to Iowa and am an ISU fan, really does work both ways. Granted I did graduate from ISU. At least I am not a turd that lurks the hawk boards.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Dude, I read your post and it makes good sense, but then you totally discredit yourself by betting your grand caravan???? That's like betting a warm open bottle of beer that has sat outside in 90 degree temps all day. :wink:

When I was at school in the late 80's early 90's there were not many people flaunting the EIU clothing and if they were around I went out of my way to harass them till they came to their senses. I grew up in a Cyclone family so I was a Cyclone coming to college but the experiences rooting on the FB ***whoopings and BB with Johnny Orr solidified my allegiance. Hawk fans coming to Ames have probably been brainwashed and have burned up brain cells from being around second hand cigarettes laced with cocaine and/or diesel fuel, pot, crank, crack, hash, dried cow manure, and bat guano smoke and probably lost use of the brain that affects common sense and learning ability so we just have to keep them in our prayers so healing can take place.....:yes:

after having 3 kids...I don't think I would ever go without a minivan again.. So, so, so sad I know, but its just so much easier.
Plus as any guy knows once you hit the 30 mark and have been married for 6 years. Who do I have to impress anyway. Plus I don't drive it to work so thats a plus.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
after having 3 kids...I don't think I would ever go without a minivan again.. So, so, so sad I know, but its just so much easier.
Plus as any guy knows once you hit the 30 mark and have been married for 6 years. Who do I have to impress anyway. Plus I don't drive it to work so thats a plus.

I hear you believe me. I have 3 girls and have driven a van ever since 1999. You know it's bad when brag about your 2003 Honda Odyssey instead of some sports car. Nothing else has enough room. And sometimes sharing a vehicle with 4 women, there are times when a semi and van trailer wouldn't have enough room. And I can't wait till they are all teenagers.........Yeay

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I go to Iowa and am an ISU fan, really does work both ways. Granted I did graduate from ISU. At least I am not a turd that lurks the hawk boards.

Hey, I'm an ISU alum, I have as much right as anyone to post here. And I'm not lurking either, I like to debate Hawks vs. Clones.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
Hey, I'm an ISU alum, I have as much right as anyone to post here. And I'm not lurking either, I like to debate Hawks vs. Clones.

Well this forum is 99% about Cyclone sports (minus the off topic). It's not like we sip tea and discuss class lectures we've gone to. So all that you are gonna get out of this forum is starting arguements. But hey, if that floats your boat (think it does for most EIU fans) then go right ahead.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Let's see... ISU graduates about 3,000 people per year... give or take... over 20 years that alone would fill Jack Trice.

Obviously many, many, many people who attend ISU don't care about sports... Just like many, many people in this world. I don't begrudge anyone who isn't a sports fan.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I hear you believe me. I have 3 girls and have driven a van-gina ever since 1999. You know it's bad when brag about your 2003 Honda Odyssey instead of some sports car. Nothing else has enough room. And sometimes sharing a vehicle with 4 women, there are times when a semi and van trailer wouldn't have enough room. And I can't wait till they are all teenagers.........Yeay

Dude, I used to be a pickup truck kind of guy, but now, I'm a minivan guy all the way. Frankly, they're just too flexible and useful, and they will do everything my pickup used to do, except pull the really heavy loads and extremely bulky stuff, and for that, I will use a real truck.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've been a Hawkeye fan all my life. I went to Iowa State because their design program is better than Iowa's. I'm not going to base my college education on loyalty to a certain athletic program. Hell, I knew a lot of guys going to ISU who were die-hard Hawkeye fans.

I personally think you should base your team allegiance based on where you go, or plan on going to school. It's college football. Why would you not cheer for YOUR college. Oh yeah, you jumped on a bandwagon when you were 10. Clone fans who didn't go State at least put up with cheering for a "less succesful program" so despite the fact they didn't come here, they didn't base their allegiance on w's and l's. They based it on something bigger. Most "typical" hawk fans would despise most spoiled-rich kid-from chicago-douche-UoI student. Go cheer for Duke or the Yankees. You just point out that most Hawk fans are just bandwagon ****sticks.

Last edited:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Have we ever actually technically "sold-out" the stadium? Even for kNebraska or EIU games? I'm not sure we ever have, as I don't think they list a maximum capacity for the hillsides.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I personally think you should base your team allegiance based on where you go, or plan on going to school. It's college football. Why would you not cheer for YOUR college. Oh yeah, you jumped on a bandwagon when you were 10. Clone fans who didn't go State at least put up with cheering for a "less succesful program" so despite the fact they didn't come here, they didn't base their allegiance on w's and l's. They based it on something bigger. Most "typical" hawk fans would despise most spoiled-rich kid-from chicago-douche-UoI student. Go cheer for Duke or the Yankees. You just point out that most Hawk fans are just bandwagon ****sticks.

I personally don't think it matters. There are other ways to support your school than to cheer on the athletics.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
IMO it's because in the past it has been more fashionable. (because of the winning) But let's face it - in recent years UI athletics have really struggled. We've been getting our fair share of in-state recruits. What we don't have in money, we can replace with spirit and rowdiness. Jack Trice on game days is awesome. Carver is like a morgue compared to Hilton. The louder people yell, the easier it is to recruit.

I support the Cyclones because the fans and students are less snooty. There's something about doctors and lawyers and their kids.......

I believe it originated with the underdog mentality. It's like beating the townies at the local bar with the crooked pool cue or the house darts. It makes victory all that much sweeter and yet quite insulting to the other team.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I personally don't think it matters. There are other ways to support your school than to cheer on the athletics.

Did you cheer for the neighboring town when you were in high school? Doubt it. This is the same thing x1,000. Why would you cheer for a university you have no intenion of ever attending over the one you actually attend. It makes no sense to me. One exception would be growing up in the shadow of the school you cheer for and going to the other school begrudginly because of the major...

Last edited:

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Just give it 3 years. We have some really good karma heading our way and its about damn time. Wrestling will have a national championship in the next two years as well as a few more B12 championships. Football will be ready to explode in two years and will be much improve next year. An upset over MU or KU would go a long way. Basketball just has to get some good bounces and keep the team together.

Iowa on the other hand is gonna have their hands full if Ferentz doesn't get things fixed. What happens if Iowa goes 5-7 next year? Do you fire him? What do you do? And don't kid yourself, Iowa is a lot closer to 5 wins than 8. Iowa has NO running back, a bad OL and an inept QB. Iowa Basketball will eventually get turned around but I still think they are three years away. Iowa wrestling is always gonna be good. ISU women's basketball will always own Iowa.

ISU just has to win and get ride of its "uncool" image around the state. We have been associated with losing for so long. ISU has always been closer to the blue colar people of this state (Ag college/Engineers), we just have to make people realize it.

Iowa State University - The University of the People

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
Did you cheer for the neighboring town when you were in high school? Doubt it. This is the same thing x1,000. Why would you cheer for a university you have no intenion of ever attending over the one you actually attend. It makes no sense to me. One exception would be growing up in the shadow of the school you cheer for and going to the other school begrudginly because of the major...

I went Oskaloosa and lived in Pella for half my life and never did I cheer for Pella, nor would I now.

I would bet there aren't a lot of Aggie fans at UT or vice versa. I doubt too many Duke fans attend UNC or flaunt it like Hawks. You would also never see some Navy guy wearing Army gear. You should place your allegiance for your school, no matter what. I really like the Brazillian Soccer team but I think I would cheer for the US team first.

My favorite hawkeye bashing at ISU was last year in the dining center. Rachael Pierson( women's bball) stood up at her table and started ripping this guy a new one. He was wearing a sweatshirt and she went off dropping f-bombs and every other word in the book.

Maybe being a Hawk fan at ISU should be a don't ask don't tell situation.? and how could you ever be proud to be a Hawk sports fan?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I know lots of people and MANY friends who got to Iowa and either 1) Don't like the Hawkeyes at all OR 2) Just don't give a crap about their athletic programs.

No one ever said you had to have "school spirit" or like the teams of the school you go to. I mean say you wanted to go to the best engineering school around, so you go to Iowa State, but you are already a fan of, well, idk, UCLA. I mean nowhere does it say you have to switch to liking the Cyclones.

One thing that really annoys me in this state is just because I wear I-State gear all the time, people ask me "Oh, you go to Iowa State do you?" And I hear it all the time in the main Iowa cities that I am in - Cedar Falls, Ames, Iowa City, Des Moines, and Muscatine. I mean whoever said just because you are a Cyclone fan that you AUTOMATICALLY go there? No one seems to think the same when they see someone with Hawk apparel. I know that Iowa State is very Cyclone family-oriented, but there is WAY too big of a following of their sports for every fan of theirs to have attended ISU.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
One thing that really annoys me in this state is just because I wear I-State gear all the time, people ask me "Oh, you go to Iowa State do you?" And I hear it all the time in the main Iowa cities that I am in - Cedar Falls, Ames, Iowa City, Des Moines, and Muscatine. I mean whoever said just because you are a Cyclone fan that you AUTOMATICALLY go there? No one seems to think the same when they see someone with Hawk apparel. I know that Iowa State is very Cyclone family-oriented, but there is WAY too big of a following of their sports for every fan of theirs to have attended ISU.

I think this is due to ISU having very few bandwagon fans. Your either a fan of ISU because you went there or you have family that did. There are very few people (at least that I know) that are ISU fans because its the cool thing to do. Once ISU starts winning that will change and the bandwagon fans will be out in full force.