What's the plan for Cy?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I know Pollard said Cy isn't going anywhere, but what exactly does that mean? Is there any chance his colors will be updated to be less ketchup and mustard? Also, will he continue to have the old word mark across his chest?

I also think it's a good idea to go with the new word mark as our primary logo. But I'm disappointed that there isn't some kind of secondary mark with an updated Cy. I'd really like to see a updated Cy logo with darker colors and not cluttered with words. Most of the time the word mark works, but it seems like certain merchandise and locations it's still fun to have Cy on it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't believe Cy will be on any officially licensed merchandise, but he'll still be around on some clothing I bet, it might just have to be at someplace like T-Galaxy. People still love Cy, and there will always be a place for him.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I bet we still see the old walking Cy as they can say it is 'throwback' plus everyone loves it... I think the twirly cy will be scaled back signifigantly though.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I agree, they should have updated cy or something. I think your avatar looks pretty darn good.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Cy will now walk around at games looking like a big "I" no more bird.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I know Pollard said Cy isn't going anywhere, but what exactly does that mean? Is there any chance his colors will be updated to be less ketchup and mustard? Also, will he continue to have the old word mark across his chest?

I also think it's a good idea to go with the new word mark as our primary logo. But I'm disappointed that there isn't some kind of secondary mark with an updated Cy. I'd really like to see a updated Cy logo with darker colors and not cluttered with words. Most of the time the word mark works, but it seems like certain merchandise and locations it's still fun to have Cy on it.

the sooner tasmanian Cy is gone the better. Cartoons are for kids and saturday mornings, not football. Cy will as always be on our sidelines.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I have to say... someone somewhere is making a killing on all the mascots we've been buying in the last few years...

I swear they've had a new costume every year I've been here... or atleast parts of a costume (Sorry Cy, I still don't like your new feet...)

Guess they're gonna need another 3 or 4 next year...

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I've heard that Cy has been set up with a real nice severence plan and Iowa State has put him up in a nice retirement community in Phoenix where he'll stay during the winters.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Walking CY is still around, heck the old skool stuff has really been making a comeback recently, so you can still buy things with the 70s logo, you could still buy the tornado cy too, not that anyone would want to buy anything with the tornado cy on it.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
One of my favorite shirts is the old school Cy bouncing a basketball. Got it at a game last year.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
From how I understood it is that Pollard meant that the actual physical cy mascot will still exist but the Cy logos will disappear from apparel.

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
Cy will now walk around at games looking like a big "I" no more bird.

Mascotcopy.jpg

:biglaugh:

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
In 10-15 years, everyone will be waxing nostalgic for the spinning Cy logo....

When spinning Cy came along, everyone was tired of walking Cy, and tired of being confused with the Louisville cardinal. After a break it has been great to see all the old school stuff...change is ok :wink:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
You guys are naive if you think Cy is going to disappear from our licensed apparel...he will not!

He is only being taken off of our FB helmet, the center court of Hilton and the mid field of JTS.

I suspect that both versions of Cy will still be available on licensed apparel...they will just not appear on our uniforms. I further suspect that the only change of the official mascot that walks the sidelines will be that the front of his uniform will now have a big I-STATE logo on it (which is actually quite similar to what was on the old (larger) Cy mascot that we used to use at games and outings).

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
In 10-15 years, everyone will be waxing nostalgic for the spinning Cy logo....

When spinning Cy came along, everyone was tired of walking Cy, and tired of being confused with the Louisville cardinal. After a break it has been great to see all the old school stuff...change is ok :wink:

I promise to never be nostalgic for tasmanian cy...I have been anti-taz since the beginning. The hawks don't have a cartoon they currently use much of, yet the kids still wear stuff with iowa logos...unless you think the tiger hawk is a cartoon...it is not.