What's the last good book you've read?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I reread Franny and Zooey by Salinger for about the 20th time, and read A Brave New World.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm always up for a good read, so I'd like to hear some ideas.

The last book I read was The Ruins, by Scott Smith. The movie sucked, but I felt the book was devastatingly haunting.

So, what have you got?

I've been all over the place, read almost half of the "True Blood" Sookie Stackhouse books. In between those I read The Road which was MIND BLOWING and read The Catcher in the Rye again today, love it more every time.

Been taking public transit to work more often... 2 hours a day to read. So refreshing to stare at a book rather than another car's bumper on my way home.

Hawkcigar

Oct 22, 2006
Awesome! I just ordered it yesterday. Three bucks? I'm just waiting for the catch. I'm actually kind of nervous. I ordered it with my credit card, thinking Abebooks would bill it, but it looks like they send the information to the seller to bill. I'll have to keep a close eye on my activity to make sure that there's nothing fishy going on. Probably should have paid for it by Paypal. Still excited to get the book. You're awesome!

Glad to hear it! I've never had a problem and have used both credit card and Paypal. Be sure and let me know how it goes.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Highly recommended to all the rest of the fantasy dorks like me out there.

I need to read this one still.

Brandon Sanderson is also completing the "Wheel of Time" series for Robert Jordan (RIP). I highly recommend this truly epic fantasy series. There are only two books left and it's still getting better.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Highly recommended to all the rest of the fantasy dorks like me out there.

Yes!!! His new book Way of Kings is great so far and i'm only halfway through it. I love how he writes Fantasy with a new look. It's not your typical lord of the rings fantasy books with elves and orcs.

Lee Child rocks. 61 hours was my least favorite of all the reacher novels, but still liked it.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Under the Dome by Stephen King...Long but pretty decent. The ending was kinda meh but the development of so many characters and handling that many characters was pretty impressive IMO.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
For years I never read 1984. I just read it last spring and freaking loved it.

My next old book that I have never read that I am going to start tomorrow: The Catcher in the Rye.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Glad to hear it! I've never had a problem and have used both credit card and Paypal. Be sure and let me know how it goes.

Just got my book today and must say that I'm incredibly happy with the services of Abebooks.com! I ordered the book Sunday night and got it today, so four days, including a mail holiday. Book is in excellent condition and the best part is that, including shipping, I paid a total of 9.99! Thank you for the reccomendation, I'll definitely be using their services again in the future.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I picked up "Paul is Undead: The British Zombie Invasion" the other day. It's a humorus "biography with interviews" with the Beatles, but as if the Beatles were zombies. I'm only 40 pages in, and it's not a groundbreaking read, but I've found it pretty funny so far. For someone who has read almost every book ever made on the Beatles, it's nice to read a fun take like this.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
"Replay" by Ken Grimwood
imgres

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
"What God Hath Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848" by Daniel Walker How.

855 pages long, but an outstanding history of the antebellum United States.

"Revolutionaries" by Jack Rakove is a nice history of key figures of the American Revolution. It's a manageable size, like 250 or so pages. Something like that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
"What God Hath Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848" by Daniel Walker How.

855 pages long, but an outstanding history of the antebellum United States.

"Revolutionaries" by Jack Rakove is a nice history of key figures of the American Revolution. It's a manageable size, like 250 or so pages. Something like that.