What's the last good book you've read?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm always up for a good read, so I'd like to hear some ideas.

The last book I read was The Ruins, by Scott Smith. The movie sucked, but I felt the book was devastatingly haunting.

So, what have you got?

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
The Ruins? The one with the killer, Mayan plants?

I read it.

I liked it better when it was called The Happening
...or that one vignette from Creepshow
...or Little Shop of Horrors
...or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I enjoyed it because in the book, unlike in the movie, the vines weren't actually the scary part about it, it was the slow leaking into insanity, paranoia and desperation.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Nullification by Thomas Woods. Interesting historical discussion about asserting states rights in the face of federal encroachments.

Haven't read Nullification yet, but I have read Woods' Meltdown which is great.

Just reread Orwell's 1984, read Moneyball finally, and just started on Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I am a 7th Grade Literacy Teacher so I read a lot of Young Adult books. These 3 books were really well written and very hard to put down. The 3 books are Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay.

JKyleU

Apr 27, 2010
If you're into non-fiction books, I'm currently reading Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman which is a really interesting study on why we need a green, clean energy revolution in America and how it would revive the economy. Friedman is pretty full of himself but he makes great points.

Fiction-wise, Stephen King's Under the Dome was awesome, if a little long. But my favorite book i've read recently would have to be The Passage by Justin Cronin.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If you're into non-fiction books, I'm currently reading Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman which is a really interesting study on why we need a green, clean energy revolution in America and how it would revive the economy. Friedman is pretty full of himself but he makes great points.

Fiction-wise, Stephen King's Under the Dome was awesome, if a little long. But my favorite book i've read recently would have to be The Passage by Justin Cronin.

I've read some Friedman, and I respect some of his work. Not here. He recently held up China as an example to follow for protecting the environment. Really.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Haven't read Nullification yet, but I have read Woods' Meltdown which is great.

Just reread Orwell's 1984, read Moneyball finally, and just started on Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

Outstanding and fascinating insights from one of the most enlightened rulers in history. I love picking that up when I'm feeling a little negative about things...the man just has a great perspective on the world and reality. I've been re-reading The Republic these past few weeks...and wow!...its easy to forget just how brilliantly Plato can throw together arguments on the most complex subjects surrounding human nature and governance...or rather, how he portrays Socrates doing this.

For just a fun and gripping fiction read...The Pillars of the Earth is easily the best book I've read in the past 10 years. Absolute page-turner from start to finish...and its a very long book. Its about the building of a cathedral in a small town in 11th century England...which sounds a bit dry...but in reality is just incredibly exciting from start to finish.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I'm almost done with Paul Murray's 655 page Man Booker longlisted "Skippy Dies". It's been a really great read, especially if you like the bildungsroman genre. Highly recommended.

Skippy_Dies.jpg

SSSSState

Oct 29, 2007
War by Sebastian Junger. The documentary by him on the same subject called Restrepo is fantastic too.

Racer68

Dec 20, 2008
Vinton, IA
For just a fun and gripping fiction read...The Pillars of the Earth is easily the best book I've read in the past 10 years. Absolute page-turner from start to finish...and its a very long book. Its about the building of a cathedral in a small town in 11th century England...which sounds a bit dry...but in reality is just incredibly exciting from start to finish.

Excellent book...and you are so correct that it is hard to put down! It made a flight from Phoenix to Chicago a very short one...and I still ahve a long ways to go. I am kind of a history buff anyway and I have family from Wales, keeping me even more interested in the book!

Highly recommended!

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
If you can get past the **** poor editing, The Silent Gladiators is a pretty good read. However, it's more of a niche read as well.