Whats the best stadium you have been

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've always wanted to go to a game at Camp Randall.

I just think State Street on game day must be awesome!

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
Michie Stadium at West Point was tops for college for me. The whole atmosphere in and around the stadium before the game with the cadets marching in and parachuting in the game ball was great. Hard to beat a fall night on the Hudson River as well. Tailgating was different with it being so far away from the stadium, but they bus you back and forth and had a special lot just for visiting fans when ISU played out there. We had tickets in the Army faculty section and had a blast talking with them. Even got invited and attended the faculty keg party after the game!

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Really strange to see so many people say Kinnick.

I've been there numerous times and have never had a good experience, even the times when ISU has won there. The whole experience is just not good IMO. No parking, no space to sit with seats about 8 inches apart, not friendly at all, etc, etc.

Iowa City game days are a lot of fun when you're young, but as far as inside the stadium, I was bored (unless ISU was playing). The seating is definitely an issue. Had knees in my back every time.

I've only had one issue with Iowa fans in IC. It wasn't a big deal. Other than that, I've found them to be perfectly nice to interact with. Going to a bar in DSM is another story.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
2002 game when Seneca won in IC I had a full can of beer thrown at me leaving the stadium. Thankfully it didn't hit my head. But worse than that..... what a waste of a perfectly good full can of beer!

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
How many Georgia fans invaded South Bend a few years ago? I bet they had 45 or 50k of the total capacity.
USATSI_10271085.jpg

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Been to college games at the Rose Bowl, The OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, West Virginia, Florida, Indiana, Northwestern, Cincinnati, Toledo, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Kent State, Marshall, Go Daddy Bowl [Mobile], Military Bowl [NYC], Quick Lane Bowl [Detroit], Harvard, Brown, Bryant, Cornell, Rhode Island, Columbia, and Penn. Think I got all locations listed!

Best History: Harvard
Best Atmosphere: The OSU
Worst Stadium: Michigan - Oval Bowl dug into ground. No character at all.
Best Small D 1 Stadium: Cincinnati
Most scenic view: Rose Bowl
Hottest: Florida, about 104 degrees that day.
Best Weather: Detroit Lions field [inside...lol]

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've always wanted to go to a game at Camp Randall.

I just think State Street on game day must be awesome!

State Street's not really a tailgating type of spot...a few people here and there.

The bars down Regent street near Camp Randall have quite a bit going on though.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Been to college games at the Rose Bowl, The OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Toledo, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Akron, Ball State, Kent State, Marshall, Go Daddy Bowl, Harvard, Brown, Rhode Island, and Penn. Probably more I cant remember.

Best History: Harvard
Best Atmosphere: The OSU
Worst Stadium: Michigan - Oval Bowl dug into ground. No character at all.
Best Small D 1 Stadium: Cincinnati
Most scenic view: Rose Bowl

I've heard Michigan's is huge and it's a ton of people but it's so flat shaped that the crowd is quiet because the noise goes more up than directly toward the field.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Best I’ve been to: OU. Great stadium dead center of campus that has a great feel.

Most overrated: NU, super old, tight concourses, getting to my nosebleed seat was a labyrinth.
Michigan: build down into the ground, so no imposing exterior. Also, seats are so tightly packed you literally have to stand up facing sideways for everybody to fit.
And NU is all endzone.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I've heard Michigan's is huge and it's a ton of people but it's so flat shaped that the crowd is quiet because the noise goes more up than directly toward the field.
yep and the seats are about 10 inches wide so you are guaranteed a threesome with the people on each side of you like it or not.

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Cincinnati is a cool stadium. Very different from Jack Trice. The stadium sits right in the middle of their urban campus and the lower half of the stadium is below ground. A lot of the campus buildings sit right next to the stadium and I imagine students walk around it daily passing from one class to the next.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
The Rose Bowl, been to a couple of Rose Bowl games, who ever is in charge of the the turf is a wizard. There is not a blade of grass out of place.

Great venue...

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Very cool place. Too bad the crowd shows up about halfway through and leaves around the 3rd quarter (in my one experience but heard it's like that).

I would have loved to have been there when they were really good and especially that Black Friday in 2001 when they quite possibly broke Nebraska's program.

I was there that day. It was a great day to watch Nebraska get boat-raced.

Reactions: madguy30

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
From everything I've ever heard.... Michigan's stadium is by far the most overrated stadium in the country. It has all this reputation as being "The Big House", etc, etc.... but nobody I've ever talked to that has been there was very impressed.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
I had the opportunity to go watch #1 Bama vs #5 LSU in 2012, a night game in Death Valley. Tailgating was phenomenal. Like Ames, very friendly people ready to share their southern food and drink with strangers. The game experience was electric, over 100k in attendance, the roar of the crowd made for an emotional experience for me as I realized I was checking off a bucket list item.
The SEC football experience is another beast.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I get what you saying, a lot of Iowa fans feel that way about Kinnick, if it was not their favorite team, they would see it like many of us do. Great atmosphere, but ease of movement, parking and the rest of it are a pain in the ass.

But when its your team, its great. Arrowhead is great, its a bigger version of JTS with all the tailgating around the stadium, and every seat has a cupholder and they sell beer. The noise is so loud at times, you literally cannot hear the person beside you talking when the Chiefs are on defense.

You Nailed It my friend...I was at Kinnick for a game in 1972 and the Parking absolutely Sucked and the squawkeyes lost to Purdue...31-0...…..and the restrooms were sooo small they Sucked worse than the Parking.....

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Loudest stadium I’ve ever been in was Arrowhead when Dexter McCluster ran back a punt for a TD vs the NYG.
I went to the '03 playoff game against Indy where neither team punted. Dante Hall ran a kickoff back in the 2nd half that got KC back in the game. I've never heard anything so loud in my life.