What's the best opening track of an album?

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
I think a first track on an album is so important and there are many great examples (as listed by others) but the one that stands out for me is going to be a "cheat" in this category. In my mind, the side 2 of AC/DC's Back in Black was really side 1. The lead-in song of Back in Black is the perfect juxtaposition of introducing Brian Johnson as the new lead vocalist after the death of Bon Scott. Then that leads into 4 of the greatest rock songs of all time. I think they made a political choice to switch side 1 and side 2, but to me side 2 of Back in Black is one of the greatest sides of a vinyl album of all time and when I play the album I always start with side 2 (which in my mind is really side 1).

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think a first track on an album is so important and there are many great examples (as listed by others) but the one that stands out for me is going to be a "cheat" in this category. In my mind, the side 2 of AC/DC's Back in Black was really side 1. The lead-in song of Back in Black is the perfect juxtaposition of introducing Brian Johnson as the new lead vocalist after the death of Bon Scott. Then that leads into 4 of the greatest rock songs of all time. I think they made a political choice to switch side 1 and side 2, but to me side 2 of Back in Black is one of the greatest sides of a vinyl album of all time and when I play the album I always start with side 2 (which in my mind is really side 1).
Here you go. And you are right, side 2 is way a little better?

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
  • Friendly
Reactions: algonacy and Turn2

DavidR4isu

Nov 10, 2022
Great tune for while you’re driving. Careful you don’t get a ticket.

Technically 3 tracks but they have to be listened to together.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And listening to AC/DC some, the replacement singer, Malcolm Johnson is very good and fits well w/ the band. However, Bon Scott was a one of a kind singer and front man. He died far too young, in 1980. He had so much more to give.

Reactions: algonacy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And speaking of Bon Scott, here is a really cool background story about him, and how he became lead singer for AC/DC.