What's streaming that's good TV/movies

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Watched I Care A lot (Peter Dinklage). Interesting and different. Kept our attention, and we were glad we watched. Also watched Seven Psychopaths, which is an older movie with Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken. No idea how that one never hit our radar with that lineup, but it's a fun popcorn movie.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So the wife signed us up for Netflix for at least a month because she wants to see the new season of The Crown. Last night decided to give the show Longmire a shot as I have heard it is good and after watching the 1st two episodes am afraid if I keep watching more I might get hooked and have to keep the Netflix account a bit longer to watch all the seasons.

Quoting my own reply here as a follow up. We wound up watching all 6 seasons of Longmire some nights watching 2 or 3 episodes and became almost a nightly thing to watch at least one. Really good show! May be one of the best shows I have watched in a long time and probably will eventually watch the whole thing over again at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: LarryISU and ISUguy

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Anyone see “who killed Sara?” On Netflix? Yay or nay?
Just started season 2. It's an adjustment because it's natively shot in Spanish, but there's an option to just listen to an English dub -- that's what I do.

The show itself is alright. A little far-fetched for some things, but the story and subplots are compelling.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Billions on Showtime was good for me. I think 3 seasons.

I liked the first two seasons of Billions a lot but the end of season 2 sort of broke me, I really liked the relationship Axe had with his wife and it all fell apart too quick for me.

Reactions: Cydkar

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Agree! Which sucks because the book (it's by Tom Clancy in the Jack Ryanverse) is so good.

Without Remorse was one of my favorite Clancy books. I just went back and re-read it a couple months ago. Still a great read.

Was excited when I heard Prime as making movie based on book. After seeing trailer, not so sure as it didn't appear based on book. Still plan on giving it a watch this week.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Army of the Dead sucked so bad I was hungry for something better so gave the French sci-fi suspense film Oxygen a lookie. Thumb's up.

Netflix summary "After waking up in a cryogenic unit. Liz (Melanie Laurent) fights to survive ad remember who she is before her oxygen runs out."

Smart sci-fi with several twists, only one I guessed at and partially missed even on that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Recently read that The Wheel of Time fantasy series was coming to Amazon Prime. I read the first three books and really enjoyed them, but after finding out there were 11 more, I lost steam in favor of other reading.

Sounds like they recently finished filming, so I'm excited to hear when it will be released.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Recently read that The Wheel of Time fantasy series was coming to Amazon Prime. I read the first three books and really enjoyed them, but after finding out there were 11 more, I lost steam in favor of other reading.

Sounds like they recently finished filming, so I'm excited to hear when it will be released.

That series could have been good if it were like 5 or 6 books. I bailed after like 5 of them almost 20 years ago.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
That series could have been good if it were like 5 or 6 books. I bailed after like 5 of them almost 20 years ago.

I was drawn to them by someone on here, and by the fact that Brandon Sanderson was selected to finish the series (one of my favorite authors). I'm hoping that the TV series can draw on the interesting parts while condensing it down.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
On episode 4 of Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix. Pretty good superhero stuff not in the usual comic book vein. Has a bit of the feel of the original Watchman movie, not that dark but still a bit edgy.

Good enough that I am already annoyed that it is only eight episodes like all of the other stuff put out these days. Would it just kill the industry to do 10 or 12? I get it's not like cranking out cheap **** network series or sitcoms but damn where did this magic eight come from?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I've been watching Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime. It is quite entertaining. Also halfway through filming is when the Corona hit so we get to see that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watched the Chris Pratt scifi The Tomorrow War on Amazon tonight. It's okay if you don't think about it too much, most of the time travel movies have huge logic holes in them so you just have to go with the flow. Good popcorn movie although I did scotch and chocolate. ;)

Maybe in line with some of the Terminator sequels but IMHO not as good as Tom Cruise's Edge of Tomorrow. Chris Pratt is his usual likeable character. J.K. Simmons plays the gruff old dude, does a good job not wearing his Farmer's Insurance commercial vest or Law & Order doctor hat.

Summary: C+, fits my mantra of "Mediocre science fiction is better than no science fiction at all."

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watched half of the Liam Neeson The Ice Road on Netflix. Couple days later haven't gotten bored enough to tune in watch the second half. :rolleyes:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If you haven't watched "The Sinner" on Netflix I recommend the series. I've finished season 1 & 2. Getting ready to start season 3. Pretty clever show.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
OMG, new candidate for worst sci-fi movie ever? Maybe not worst ever but gotta be in the running for worst in the 21st century, Cosmic Sin with Bruce Willis on Netflix. I am 38 minutes in and will probably turn it off in a couple of minutes. 26th century and 2020 cars and motorcycles. On par with the worst Syfy channel shows that used oil tanker interiors as space ship interiors but with even worse acting. Not funny awful that you can laugh at, just pathetic awful. :(