What's in your liquor cabinet?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Question for you seasoned guys. I got a taste of glenlivet 12 and loved it. I'm looking for some single malt scotch that isn't super expensive. Recommendations?

Have you ever tried the GL18? It's twice as expensive, but if you haven't tried it's just unbelievable the difference 6 years makes. For me, I would never by a GL12, it's too pricy for what you're getting, if choosing in the GL12 price bracket I'd go with a good whiskey instead. (Also just to clarify if you buy a GL18 you just drink it straight up with a few ice cubes maybe, you don't mix it with anything, otherwise you're just wasting money)

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Went a little single malt sample crazy over the last year:

Glenmorangie 10yr Single Malt Scotch
Glenmorangie 12 yr Single Malt Scotch Quinta Ruban
Highland Park 12 yr Single Malt Scotch
Aberlour 12yr Single Malt Scotch
Aberlour A’Bunadh Cask Single Malt Scotch
Caol Ila 12yr Single Malt Scotch
Old Pulteney 12 yr Single Malt Scotch
Monkey Shoulders Single Malt Scotch Blend
Glenrothes Vintage 1992 Single Malt Scotch (empty as of this spring, RIP)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Fireball.

Read this a while back:

http://www.businessinsider.com/fireball-whiskey-success-story-2014-4

In 2011, Fireball sold $1.9 million worth of whisky in gas stations, convenience [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]stores[/FONT][/FONT], and supermarkets, writes Devin Leonard at Bloomberg Businessweek. By 2013, sales had leapt to $61 million, putting Fireball ahead of Jameson Irish Whiskey and Patrón tequila.

For those not that good at math-y things, that's a 3200% increase in sales in 2 years.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
2 25 mg Dixie Elixir Rolls
1 50(?)mg Incredibles Peanut Budda Buddha Bar
2g Jedi Kush
2g Durban Berry
1L Spring 44 Gin
3x 750ml Maker's Mark (they were on sale for $20 each!)
1L Jameson
1L Green Chartreuse
750 mL Dark Cafe Patron
6 assorted bottles of wine (mostly reds)

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yeah, WTF did Fireball come from anyway? I didn't know it existed in 2011, but by last year everybody & their brother has some stashed somewhere (for shots, usually). I'm not opposed, it is a good easy shot, but it is kind of crazy how quick it blew up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireball_Cinnamon_Whisky

Highlights:

Developed in Canada in the '80's, supposedly,

Sazerac bought the rights in early 2000's

Social media marketing made it asplode in those years.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Crown Royal Black
Jack Daniels Honey
Captain Morgan
Sauza Hornitos Tequila
Baileys Irish Cream
Absolut Vodka
Bacardi Rum

Got the tequila in Mexico specifically to infuse it with something but still haven't gotten around to doing it. That was 7 years ago......

Wife likes to use the Baileys in cooking- she makes killer Baileys french toast and Baileys cheesecake!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Crown Royal Black
Jack Daniels Honey
Captain Morgan
Sauza Hornitos Tequila
Baileys Irish Cream
Absolut Vodka
Bacardi Rum

Got the tequila in Mexico specifically to infuse it with something but still haven't gotten around to doing it. That was 7 years ago......

Wife likes to use the Baileys in cooking- she makes killer Baileys french toast and Baileys cheesecake!

What are the chances she'd share the recipe?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Guess I'm low class. Just have BV, captain, Bacardi and a bottle of rumchata.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yeah, WTF did Fireball come from anyway? I didn't know it existed in 2011, but by last year everybody & their brother has some stashed somewhere (for shots, usually). I'm not opposed, it is a good easy shot, but it is kind of crazy how quick it blew up.

It is liquid, alcoholic candy. I'm kind of amazed it took so long to blow up. It's been for sale in Ames for at least a decade. The only bad thing about it is the terrible hangover that results from so much sugar.