What's Happening to Missouri Football?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Also, ever since that stuff went down in 2015, they have struggled to recruit students, and rebrand their image.

I think this is the bigger issue by far. Seems as if overall enrollment is way off as well and parents and students didn't agree with the run-amok PC crap and are showing that by staying away from everything.

Politics bleeding more and more into sports will ruin sports.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Some of us recognized when they made the move to the SEC that, geographically speaking, they were voluntarily turning themselves into the Iowa State of the SEC. A remote outpost of the conference that is difficult to recruit to because of that fact. That isn't a slight to ISU....it's the truth. It's one of the reasons that our school has difficulty attracting top recruits, we just aren't close enough for them to have their friends and family attend all of their games. WVU does OK because they're still relatively close to densely populated areas with talent. Missouri has the St. Louis area and that's about it.

Missouri is now way out in the middle of nowhere compared to all of the schools. They will only get the guys who want to play in the SEC but have been picked over by the other schools. Which is just like what happens for us in the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: el tornado

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
giphy.gif

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If I were a fan of Missouri or Nebraska, I would have hated leaving the Big 12, and I think many, if not most, did.

But since when do schools care about the fans' interest? $$$$ are much more important than fan support.... or even wins I guess? Missouri is terrible, but hey, they have money!! Who cares if the stadium will be a quarter full midway through the year, right?

Just dumb.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If I were a fan of Missouri or Nebraska, I would have hated leaving the Big 12, and I think many, if not most, did.

But since when do schools care about the fans' interest? $$$$ are much more important than fan support.... or even wins I guess? Missouri is terrible, but hey, they have money!! Who cares if the stadium will be a quarter full midway through the year, right?

Just dumb.

Well as long as the players aren't paid....

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
I laugh at all of the car decals, etc here in Dallas for these teams. I personally know a couple fans that say they factored in the fact that they would get to see their team play locally a couple times a year into their decision to move to Texas. So much for that.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Talking with some at the airport and all they were saying was money and Texas ruled the Big XII. they were tired of having Texas rule the conference, no matter that they were the ones voting for unequal sharing of revenue at the start. I told them I hope you like being the b#####s of Ohio State and Michigan. They STFU then .

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Misery, just like Texas A&M, was another run of the mill Big 12 team that thought they were cool heading to the big and bad SEC. Like the Debraska Hackshirts, they overcompensated what they really were. They were a low B to high C student in high school trying to get into an Ivy League school. Everybody is finding out the frauds they really are. 1. Misery. 2. A & M. 3. Debraksa. 123 FRAUDS

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Ye$ ab$olutely they defend the deci$ion.
I love when the defectors like to state an increase in per year revenue as a reason why they are ok with the conference switch. Is the fan experience that much better? Sure you get to play Ohio State or Michigan at home once every four years, but the rest of the home slate is crap with little to no interest. I mean look at ISU and the growth that our athletic dept. has had in the last 5 years just from the increased XII revenue... The defectors could have stayed in the current XII, made nearly as much money if not more (a Nebraska network for tier 3 games and other content would make millions) and sustained rivalries (and fan interest).

Tom Osborne you short sighted, stupid ****. But hey, Nebraska fans can't get too mad at him. He was the reason that program rose to the level it did, its only appropriate he's the reason for its demise.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Or less because of the protestors and more because of people not wanting to be associated with a culture of racism that was accused there and seems to be rampant in that area (see also: St Louis police).

Millennials are much more aware of these things and things like this are likely to turn them away. Less likely to avoid a college simply for protests for equality.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don't think Nebby would be thriving in the B12 either. They were a national recruiting school with little local talent and that doesn't change by staying in B12. The decline was inevitable. Hiring the wrong coaches accelerated it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I never in a million years would've said the team that conference realignment (in terms of leaving the Big 12) helped the most was the Colorado Buffaloes.

I was wrong.

The other three teams (A&M, Mizzou, Nebby) are a combined 4 - 5 this year, and are a combined 0 - 4 against Power 5 schools.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron