What Will You Spend Your $1,000 Stimulus On?

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
That's actually the point for people this would be meant to help. Wages aren't sufficient as it is, and employment is too temporary to count on.

So, yes, it's people with existing financial problems, and most often people who are working and doing the things they're "supposed" to do in order to get by.
Gonna have to do a whole lot of change in this country to make it work and make it last.

lol at “working like you’re “supposed” to” means you shouldn’t have financial problems. You have to be financially responsible as well as work. Just because you work doesn’t give you permission to act like an idiot with no accountability for the decisions you make.

I know people who came out of college with the same amount of debt, have a higher income, similar amount of kids... yet somehow my family is incredibly comfortable financially and they’re in a complete mess... What the heck happened? We’re both working like we are supposed too?

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
2,000 dollar rent is easily a kickass loft downtown Des Moines

If you are renting a place in DSM for $2000, that's your own fault. You can rent brand new townhouse style apartments in WDM, includes attached 2 car garage and laundry in unit for $1400 max. The ones by my old place rented for $1350.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
lol at “working like you’re “supposed” to” means you shouldn’t have financial problems. You have to be financially responsible as well as work. Just because you work doesn’t give you permission to act like an idiot with no accountability for the decisions you make.

I know people who came out of college with the same amount of debt, have a higher income, similar amount of kids... yet somehow my family is incredibly comfortable financially and they’re in a complete mess... What the heck happened? We’re both working like we are supposed too?

Well, ain't you special?
See, for most of them, that's not what they're doing. You won't figure that out, but you're far off the mark.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Oh, I'm aware of that.
But there are some assumptions and scenarios that will come up there in the best of times, like what will count for unemployment, how much will it be for a person/family that's already economically distressed, do you collect if one job that doesn't pay enough lays you off but another doesn't, and so on.

It's not that straightforward at the bottom of the food chain.

If you have 2 jobs and get laid off from one, them in most cases you can collect unemployment for the job that laid you off. I think I've seen that during the current crisis they have relaxed rules to make it easier to get unemployment.

Reactions: CycloneErik

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Guys, all I'm saying is that $1200 isn't as much money as they're pretending it is.

Carry on.

It'll help a little bit.

Still really think they needed to have that be step 1 with automatic payments for the next few months. So people could know it was something consistent to depend on until this thing blows over. Just a one-off really reduces its effectiveness.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The $1,200 check is not meant to rescue every household balance sheet.

Something more targeted (such as the unemployment benefits) is more like that -- giving help to households who have lost most of their income.

The $1,200 check is to try to boost consumer confidence and spending so people lock up a little less on their purchases, keeping demand up a little.

How much that is going to matter, though, when it is difficult to purchase much or produce much given social distancing, is up in the air. Probably not much.

There are not a lot of obvious fiscal and monetary policy tricks to help with such a new and unique problem as this one. But we are doing what we know.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
If I were to e-file tonight, would that be soon enough to use 2019 tax information? I claim my oldest son every other year so it’s another child on the check.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
$2000 won't get you a closet in NYC.

Yeah, I just have so many questions. That guy would need to make about $60k/year gross or so to cover the expenses he lists. And if he lost his job, he should be getting some unemployment.

I totally realize people living in high cost areas are getting screwed here, but that’s pretty much been the norm recently.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron