What Will You Spend Your $1,000 Stimulus On?

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
More money should have went to the citizens of this country(households under $200K), small business (Less then 5000 employees) and not these corporations. A lot of these corporations have been having record years the last 4-6 years and are now getting a check from the government.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
How are they going to apply this to people who have passed away? If they use 2018 returns, I am guessing there are a lot of people deceased between 2018 and today.

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I get the point behind it.

But a one time $1200 payment isn't going to do sh*t for some people.
\

Correct, but if you still have a job and getting paid, should you still you get it?

I approve of the increased payments for the unemployed.

I do question my parents getting money when their social security and pension is still paying them.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think his point is that if someone is struggling, out of work, etc., and this thing drags on for too long then a one time payment of $1,200 is a very minimal stopgap.
Ah I read his post wrong. Thought he said that 1,200 isn't sh*t to some people. my bad.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Looks like a one time payment of 1,200 for those that make less than 75k. I wonder what happened to the potential of two rounds of payments for those who are really in need.

I get the point behind it.

But a one time $1200 payment isn't going to do sh*t for some people.

They'll have to do another one in a month. Or something similar once all the unemployment applications come in.

People also have to spend it, but spend it wisely......you know there'll be reports of someone complaining about not having enough for rent or food because they bought $1200 worth of pot to smoke in their basement during quarantine.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
\

Correct, but if you still have a job and getting paid, should you still you get it?

I do question my parents getting money when their social security and pension is still paying them.
This package isn't just to put money into the pockets of the unemployed. They are hoping it will boost the economy. This thread proves their point. Most people are either going to make large purchases or put it into the stock market. Both of which the country needs more of.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
\

I think there are merits to it. I will likely spend my $1,200 kind of frivolously which should stimulate the economy in some of the places that are hurting.

I don’t really need it but I am likely going to be much more prudent with my regular pay for the next while.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This package isn't just to put money into the pockets of the unemployed. They are hoping it will boost the economy. This thread proves their point. Most people are either going to make large purchases or put it into the stock market. Both of which the country needs more of.

Most people won't be doing that. Most people are worried about what is going to happen and will put it away or use to pay bills

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Most people won't be doing that. Most people are worried about what is going to happen and will put it away or use to pay bills
This is what has happened with rebates in the past.

And with so many stores closed, I don't see what options people really have for spending stimulus checks, outside of food and rent.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
It is a massive amount of money to others though.

I think his point is that if someone is struggling, out of work, etc., and this thing drags on for too long then a one time payment of $1,200 is a very minimal stopgap.

Right, this is what I was getting at.

I understand it's going to be a nice sum of money for some people out there. But in the grand scheme of things when you have $800 rent (cheap) 2 kids and no income.. $1200 will be gone as soon as you get it.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I saw Jeff Bezos, Amazon owner, was wanting donations for his employees. He's worth something like $110 billion dollars, and has 750,000 employees.

If he chipped in 'just' $4 billion, it would be over $5000 per employee.

We're really failing.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Right, this is what I was getting at.

I understand it's going to be a nice sum of money for some people out there. But in the grand scheme of things when you have $800 rent (cheap) 2 kids and no income.. $1200 will be gone as soon as you get it.
According to the article I found above, they'd receive $500 per dependent under 18 in this scenario. And assuming it's a married household that fully fits under the doubled individual threshold, they'd be getting $3,400.

Not saying that's going to fix problems for those severely impacted, but if the article is correct, that's definitely going to provide some aid at a time of need and should at least soften the transition.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron