What was your first experience with Iowa State sports?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Wasn’t sure where to put this, so mods feel free to move wherever you see fit.

What was your first experience with Iowa State sports? For me, I started going to football games when I was a year old, maybe younger. However, The first game I can really remember was the Shaggy game in 2007. What was yours?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
1996 or 1997 I believe...Baylor visiting Jack Trice and it was effing miserable. You could walk in and take whatever seats you wanted outside the family section.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Little Amish boy sitting in the back of the hired driver's pickup. Every morning we'd stop & buy a paper (remember papers?) and I'd read the sports section. All my mouth breathing hok uncles would tell me how bad the Cyclones were going to be and how the hoks were the real team from our state....
But Tim Floyd's team kept winning. And winning. Cato, Willoughby, Pratt, Bankhead & company. Glorious!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
football 02 vs UCONN

basketball 03-04 vs Iowa

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Mom was an ISU grad and dad became a fan when Johnny Orr started coaching so the Cyclones were always the team in our household.

My first experience I can kinda remember was in the late 90s when the team would do a summer tour. Mom and dad brought me to see the team in Creston. I wanted to see Cato so bad but he wasn't there and I was disappointed. Dedric Willoughby was a really cool guy though. Mom has some pictures of little 101 with several of the guys somewhere.

My first super vivid memory isn't until '04 (??) when a top 25 Texas team came to Hilton and the crowd blew the roof off the place while Brian Boddicker tried to make a couple free throws to win the game with just a few seconds left. He was like an 80% shooter and missed them both. That game definitely ranks way up there on my list of loudest moments inside Hilton.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
First experiences were before my memory. First vivid memories:

Basketball--Fred's 41 point game against Colorado. The bottom portion of the scoreboard with the player stats was malfunctioning so they announced his point total towards the end of the game when he subbed out.

Football--Watching Troy Davis and tracking his yardage totals (aided by the yard-o-meter on the front of the upper deck). When he broke 2,000 yards one of the seasons I remember racing home after the game to turn on one of the nation college football studio highlight shows to see if they would mention Troy. They didn't show any highlights, but at the very end the studio host congratulated Troy Davis of Iowa State for breaking 2,000 rushing yards on the season. At that point it was the first time I had ever heard Iowa State football mentioned on any national coverage for something we did (not just part of some Nebraska, Colorado, or Oklahoma highlights).

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The basketball season of 1987/1988 Iowa State men’s basketball played a scrimmage against each other at Hellyer student life center Indian hills community college ottumwa Iowa and afterwards had a autograph signing. The players sat at tables while fans waited in line to get autographs, I shook Johnnies hand as he headed to the locker room. Amazing, since that day at being ten years old been cardinal and gold since, I’ve been a fan for 30 years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Moved to Ames in 2003 and daughter joined Cardinal Gymnastics. She was coached by KJ, Lou, and members of the team. Couldn't believe that she was being helped by All-Americans Janet Anson and Erin Dethloff. Loved watching Iowa State compete as a Top 10 team back then.

Yes, women's gymnastics was my Cyclone entry drug!

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Not my first experience but probably most memorable as a kid was watching Lafester drop 54 as a 12 or 13 year old in my aunt's basement with my dad's bothers and sisters and their families.

Reactions: ISU85

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was technically going to ISU FB games while waiting to be born. Mom starting taking me to games when I was young. My first real recollection of ISU memories was right around 90-91 when I was about 10 years old. Remember watching Allen's Dad, basketball players like Fred, Bayless and Thigpen backcourt. Women's basketball I go back to 1993.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
As a freshman in Fall of 76. My roommate was a football fan. I liked basketball but really not a football fan. Didn't even really understand the rules of the game so much. He convinced me to get student tickets (I think it was $2 per game) and I thought it would be something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I think the first game was Drake.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
As a freshman in Fall of 76. My roommate was a football fan. I liked basketball but really not a football fan. Didn't even really understand the rules of the game so much. He convinced me to get student tickets (I think it was $2 per game) and I thought it would be something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I think the first game was Drake.
Yes it was Drake.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
First football game was freshman yr 1980. First BB game was borrowed tickets when ISU beat Missouri, that game set the hook for me season tickets ever since. Picked up WBB tickets back in 95 and have kept them. Try to make a few VB games every yr.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
September 19, 1981. Cyclones 23 - hawkeyes 12! Camped out the night before at south end zone gates. Sat on east side on 50 yd line! Loyal son ever since! (Seats were general admission for students.)

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
First basketball game I remember that got me really following was when I was in 6th grade (2004) and we played Kansas on a Saturday afternoon and Jake Sullivan was raining 3s.

First football memory I remember well was same year with NIU comeback at home.

Went to games before that as a young kid, but that year was when I really got locked in as a fan.

IowaStateFam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2017
Right around 1990. 7 years old and listening to Pete Taylor call games on the radio. I'll never forget that first experience, listening to him describe "Big Vic" Alexander and describing Justus Thigpen's pull up jumpers with his classic, "Thigpen stops, pops, and drops." .I was hooked on the boys from Ames.

Reactions: cyowan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron