What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
I have a hard time believing that CPR will ever have a career coaching record above .500

Career you may be correct, but does that necessarily mean he was a bust? He could have 3 straight 8-5 seasons and that would still make him just .500 with this season most likely. If that happened I for one would be more than happy. I can't guarantee that is going to happen, just like you can't guarantee it won't. Point being this is the first really bad season he has had, shouldn't we wait and see how he corrects it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Just wondering what your point is? Is our target head coach the one with a track record of mediocrity? I don't think so.

Pointing out that the ISU job is one of the toughest in the nation in a tough conference. Earle Bruce is the only coach with a record of above .500 in the last 75 years and he had a losing record in the conference.

I want success as much as anyone, but expectations should also reflect the challenges being faced. We are young and have had injuries and have had some bad luck in a few games as well as well as some poor play in games we should have won. IMO, patience and perspective need to be shown and let CPR do the job he was hired to do. Things will get better. As a long time fan I have been through these periods where Earle Bruce was being called to be fired after a 3rd straight 4-7 season in 1975. And Dan McCarney was being called to be fired after a 1-10 season in 1997 as well as a 2-10 season in 2003. True Cyclone fans have gone through this many times before. It is not easy being a Cyclone fan.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
No JP did it because things were trending up and excitement was at an all time high. Why not try and block that up for 10 years? Easy to criticize after the fact and really is 1 poor year enough to call it a mistake? The guy is the reason we are selling out every game, seems like from an economical stand point it was a great deal thus far. Does he have to fix somethings? Yes, but why don't we wait and see if he fixes them.
Who is saying we won't wait? Did I say CPR should be fired? No....so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Personally, I don't think ISU was that desperate at the time. Yes, ISU had come off a bad experience with Chizik, but it was also only a few years removed from a pretty good experience with DMac. Honestly, I think JP panicked a bit in thinking he was going to lose CPR to another school, so he went overboard with a 10 year contract when maybe a raise in pay on the existing one and perhaps an addition of a year or two may have sufficed. I just don't think you extend a first-time head coach with an 18-19 record after three years for 10 years.

Yes, his "success" and his passion have helped to sell tickets so far, but that fan enthusiasm has its limits, and so do those wallets. Being 1-7 and an embarrassment on the field week after week is not healthy for a 5th year program.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Rabbuk - always here, always negative. Tiresome troll.
I love how being realistic is being a troll. I say many positive things about Men's basketball. Also I never missed a football games in my 4 years and never left early. I guess it's trolling to call a spade a spade though. Feel free to ignore me idrc.

Reactions: CTTB78

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It is nice to point back at past coaches and what they have done here, but that is completely irrelevant. Coaching at Iowa State was much more difficult in the past than it is today. Today's facilities are 100x better than they used to be and they are more comparable to other programs. Recruiting has also become more of a level playing field then it was 20 years ago when teams didn't have any sort of scholarship limit. Also, the program has more money than ever being fueled into it.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And if CPR turns things around, which I believe he will do, then we will be okay. Flashback to 1997. Dan McCarney finished with a 1-10 record. In 2000, the team had a 9-3 record.
This is priceless...after all the Mac-bashing on here to distract us from the current state of affairs, it's now come to "if Mac did it, CPR can too!"

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
How do you figure that CPR is getting overpaid? He's one of the lowest, if not the lowest paid in the conference AND he's still selling out games. He might not be winning enough, but that doesn't make him overpaid.

I've always said the same thing about KF over in IC. He's not overpaid for what he brings in. He might be overpaid for his results, but not for what he brings in. Iowa is rolling in the money over there in IC. KF deserves a good sized chunk of it. It's the fans fault for paying HUGE money to watch paint dry, not KF's.

You are overpaid for one win seasons. if you win two or three, you may be worthy of an Auburn or national championship promotion.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Why does this remind me of the people at Fox News when they found out Obama won the election again. Most of the fans have bought into only what CPR and Pollard said without even facing the facts. Everybody is in complete shock!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
...for the few.

D Mac as mediocre as best and CPR is struggling to even get to that level..

Let's see. D Mac team played in the Big 12 North. CPR team plays every team in the league.

CPR is above the D Mac level by far. Some pretty big wins. Trying to think of D Mac's big wins. Please cheer for another team. How about Alabama?

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Yeah, without winning, people will start to resent that type of sideshow.

The fact that Messingham is still employed leads me to believe that he may have officially become a fat cat. I just can't think of a reason to keep him at this point.

What if Mess comes back next year. What if CPR allows that? What if Pollard allows it?

Are you... are you kidding?

Are you ******* kidding?

Please tell me you forgot the jimland and you're just giving us the business here, because otherwise... I... I couldn't process someone being that dense without it being on purpose.

I'm sorry you're not enjoying the season. I'm not enjoying it either. But this attitude, this idea....

CPR has said that he absolutely will not fire a coach mid-season. He was at Auburn when they did that, to horrible results. He's not going to be able to find a new OC in the middle of the season from outside, so, the only option is to promote from within. So, you give the reigns of the offense to someone new in the middle of the season, and give them, at most, 2 weeks to make the changes, you are almost certainly setting them up to fail. Why throw someone under the bus like that? To "make a statement" to the fans? Guess what, if he'd fired Mess and promoted Pope, by this time in the season, you'd be ******** and moaning about how the "Pope experiment" has failed. Does he promote Klenakis then? Why throw two or three guys under the bus for no result, when you can let them go with dignity at the end of the season and hire a new staff, or give the new guy a chance to actually fix the mistakes of the previous guy, if it is an internal hire.

Jeebus, folks. I think I am starting to hate cyclone fans.

ISUpadre

Aug 2, 2013
USA! USA!
Doctor, ISUPadre (IIRC), GWad and a few others don't really appear to be Cyclone fans anyway. They're just here to rile people up.

tumblr_mbwn9r4pN11qcq27j.gif