What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Because he took us from 5-19 to:

Bowl game in 3 out of 4 years
Biggest win in school history over OSU
First win over Texas
First win at Nebraska since 78

And he was being offered a job by other/bigger BCS schools.

Even with all that, one season above .500, his rookie campaign.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Haven't read anything, giving my honest opinion here. Because consensus said, "wrap him up, whatever it takes." Don't act like you were the one guy saying, "Oh no, he hasn't done squat. The majority of fans wanted CPR here and here for a while. I still do, he needs to shore things up, get in some new coaches, but I do believe he is a guy who can be very successful here.

I'm kind of PO'd at posts like this though, as there wasn't some kind of huge majority that loved CPR. I'd like to know the guys who saw this coming. Show me your posts from before the season started and I'll give you the gripe. Everyone else needs to STFU. Last year the smart money was on keeping CPR here.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
This isn't going to continue without wins. Fans aren't going to clinch on to watching us get beat by 4+ tds and our coach being so proud.

Yeah, without winning, people will start to resent that type of sideshow.

The fact that Messingham is still employed leads me to believe that he may have officially become a fat cat. I just can't think of a reason to keep him at this point.

What if Mess comes back next year. What if CPR allows that? What if Pollard allows it?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I think--No I KNOW--that CPR could retool the entire offensive staff with some young, hungry, driven, midwestern-minded, achieving young coaches from a High School level and get a better product. I want CPR to stay. I want him to love ISU more than his good 'ol boy club card and he needs to terminate O-staff. All of this should have happened prior to Jan. 1 2013, but I am willing to still be a CPR guy....I guess.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Even with all that, one season above .500, his rookie campaign.

When he got the 10 year contract he was in his 3rd year. The question is why CPR got the contract he did. Remember where we were. Remember where we had been before him. He was a hot name in the coaching community with offers and interest(despite Doc's thoughts). We had just beat OSU. Fans loved him. We were going to another bowl game. We were selling tickets. At the time it was a no brainer.

The OP asked a question. I answered it. Hindsight is great, isn't it?

Reactions: aauummm

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Just a couple of notes here. At the time of the new 10 year contract (before the bowl game in his 3rd year) CPR's record was 18-19. He had had one winning season......his first year. Don't forget, most of those players were from the McCarney/Chizik years. At the time, he had taken ISU to 2 bowls in 3 years. He had not won more than 3 games in conference.

So, the question in the thread title is pretty valid. How many other schools if any would have done the same thing? I'm not sure I can think of one.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Just a couple of notes here. At the time of the new 10 year contract (before the bowl game in his 3rd year) CPR's record was 18-19. He had had one winning season......his first year. Don't forget, most of those players were from the McCarney/Chizik years. At the time, he had taken ISU to 2 bowls in 3 years. He had not won more than 3 games in conference.

So, the question in the thread title is pretty valid. How many other schools if any would have done the same thing? I'm not sure I can think of one.

3 conference wins as the high water mark is still the most disturbing thing to me.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
So, you're saying he was "offered" another BCS job?

I'd say you're completely full of it. That would not stay quiet.

No way to know if he was offered a job or not and what does it matter. The buy out next year, if he flames out, will be 5.25M. Flaming out next year would be his 5th losing season in a row. Fact.

I doubt anyone can keep a BCS job with that record, even at ISU. We can afford 5.25M if we must. Besides if he gets hired during the length of the contract it's actually less (subtract new salary) and if he goes DC in the SEC it could be substantially less.

But another year like this and the CPR experiment will be over.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
How many other schools if any would have done the same thing? I'm not sure I can think of one.

Off the top of my head, Mike Stoops - Arizona, Danny Hope - Purdue, Jim Grobe - Wake Forest, Steve Sarkisian - Washington.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Bah, responded to troll thread, damn you whiskey for clouding my vision.

Last edited:

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia

How many schools have as poor of a history as we do? Not comparing apples to apples with most BCS schools.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Off the top of my head, Mike Stoops - Arizona, Danny Hope - Purdue, Jim Grobe - Wake Forest, Steve Sarkisian - Washington.

Not sure what you are saying. CPR got a 10 year contract after his 3rd year. Stoops......was fired in his 8th season. Got his extension after his fifth season, interestingly enough when he was rumored as a candidate for ISU's open job before PR was hired.

Hope was fired after his 4th year. No extension. Grobe was not extended after 3 years. In 6th year, won ACC title, was ACC Coach of the Year, and went to a BCS bowl game. Sarkisian was given a 5 year extension after his 2nd year, after beating USC both of his first 2 years, one winning record and a bowl win.

I don't see how any of those compare to a 10 year extension after an 18-19 record in 3 years.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
So JP did it because ISU was just desperate then?

No JP did it because things were trending up and excitement was at an all time high. Why not try and block that up for 10 years? Easy to criticize after the fact and really is 1 poor year enough to call it a mistake? The guy is the reason we are selling out every game, seems like from an economical stand point it was a great deal thus far. Does he have to fix somethings? Yes, but why don't we wait and see if he fixes them.

Apr 19, 2006
I bet he's kicking himself right now for not listening to more offers....

This. Not many coaches would even want this job. There is s reason ISU is often referred to as a coaches graveyard.

The problem is CPR did good things too early. If he wouldn't have created higher expectations then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We don't have the greatest facilities, Ames isn't Austin, we don't have the budget to pay the coaches or attract the girl with the curl. We will never have the top recruits period.

So we will always have to do more with less. Do we need to settle no, but there isn't a quick fix either.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
This. Not many coaches would even want this job. There is s reason ISU is often referred to as a coaches graveyard.

The problem is CPR did good things too early. If he wouldn't have created higher expectations then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We don't have the greatest facilities, Ames isn't Austin, we don't have the budget to pay the coaches or attract the girl with the curl. We will never have the top recruits period.

So we will always have to do more with less. Do we need to settle no, but there isn't a quick fix either.
I am so sick of hearing this crap.

Some of the top coaches in the country right now WANTED the ISU job (Briles, Harbaugh, etc.).
We could hire Northern Illinois or North Dakota State's entire staff at a fraction of the cost of our current staff. We could hire coaching has beens like Petrino or Mangino (or even Tressel in a few years). We could most likely hire someone like Scott Frost or Baylor's OC if we wanted. There are plenty of great coaches that are begging for a shot to be a division one football coach in a premier conference.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I am sorry, but no coach ever deserves a contract extension like what Rhoads and ferentz got among others. Should be performance base like our jobs are. Just because some seasons go well doesn't mean there will be three more.