• 50-70

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 70+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I think that this is an important question we need to ask ourselves. I think it is part of what is causing a lot of the vitriol between certain groups. As some others said I think we just have groups who have different views of what our program status is.

My breakdown of the groups are as follows so hopefully we are on the same page.
  • Top 10: Blue Blood
  • 10-25: consistent tourney team with occasional runs
  • 25-35: regular tourney team who regularly wins one game
  • 35-50: semi regular tourney team
  • 50-70: occasional tourney team
  • 70+: doormat
EDIT: More clarification

“Today, past seasons or future seasons? This makes no sense if its just what you WANT it to be.”

Apparently I wasn’t clear. The question is what type of program are we. AKA where are our expectations for a program.
Not sure what the numbers mean? What I hear from CF is they want to be in the NCAA's most years. 68 teams are chosen. I guess that would put us in the 50-70. ON the other hand, if this is by age group, then I choose 70+

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If you base it on high end accomplishments, Elite 8 (2018)and Regular season title (2019)then KSU is in the 10-25 range much more than we are.
The question isn’t so much about what the results have been. It is about what the expectations of the program are. KSU is on the high end of the 25-35 segment. We are on the low end of the 10-25 segment.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
Apparently I wasn’t clear. The question is what type of program are we. AKA where are our expectations for a program.

Still unclear. “What kind of program we are” seems very different than “where are our expectations for a program.” One speaks to performance, the other to aspirations.

I rate us 25-35 in performance, 10-25 in current fan expectations. The program has a good ways to go before anyone can have realistic top 10 expectations, if ever.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
IMO in recent history we have achieved like a 15-25 type program.

My expectation as a fan is to be a 20-30 type program.

In recent history (Fred and Prohm era’s) we have exceeded my expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ271

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Still unclear. “What kind of program we are” seems very different than “where are our expectations for a program.” One speaks to performance, the other to aspirations.

I rate us 25-35 in performance, 10-25 in current fan expectations. The program has a good ways to go before anyone can have realistic top 10 expectations, if ever.
The point I’m trying to make is we’ve been arguing over whether we are meeting expectations and we don’t seem to have a consensus on the expectations. Those defending Prohm seem to be in the low end of 25-35 range. Those attacking Prohm seem to think we should be expecting the 10-25 range. I think it is important to highlight that those criticizing Prohm don’t hate him. They just have higher expectations. Those defending Prohm just don’t have as high of expectations. There is a habit of talking past each other and not really debating the merits of the argument.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Serious question...do we feel KU is still a Blue Blood? Certainly not Top 5 as far as post season goes.

In terms of what their fans can reasonably expect - yes.

They go in every year expecting to be in the final four with a decent shot at a title and have the recruiting pedigree to match. They lost in the final four last year to Villanova and in the Regoinal Finals each of the preceding two years, once again to eventual champion Villanova. Only Villanova can beat that performance over the last three years. Even the three years prior to that when they didn't make it to the Elite Eight they were no lower than a two seed. They haven't lost a first round NCCA game since 2005-06.

If only we could get such mediocrity.

I would LOVE to see us replace them as the top program in the Big 12 and believe it is fair to expect us to be clearly one of the top two programs in the league every year. My mental model is Michigan State or Michigan. Always at the top of the league standings. Occasional Title aspirations. Doing so may knock Kansas down a notch, which would be awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyclonePigskin
L

LincolnWay187

We are a top 64 team. We didn't even make the dance last year. Until we go a couple rounds we are not a top 32 team.

• Dumb
Reactions: discydisc

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
A Big 12 Conference team

Now rate the Big 12 with the other conferences
1. Big 12
2. ACC
3. SEC
4. Big East
5. American Athletic
6. Atlantic 10 (basketball)
7. WCC (Gonzaga pulls them up a ton)
8. Missouri Valley (a training ground for aspiring Power-6 schools)
9. Pac 12
10. Big 10

• Optimistic
Reactions: ianoconnor and Cy$

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Going outside the lines, but I'd say a 10-35 program. With fan expectations firmly in the 10-25 range.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Serious question...do we feel KU is still a Blue Blood? Certainly not Top 5 as far as post season goes.

This was kind of a rebuilding year for Kansas to be honest. They beat Tenn and MSU, finished 3rd in the Big 12 and had a 4 seed in the NCAA.

They're a Blue Blood even though I feel dirty saying it.

These are the "Blue Bloods"

Duke
UNC
Kentucky
Kansas
UCLA

Teams like Mich St, UCONN, Villanova etc are close, but they're not Blue Bloods like those five are.