What music are you listening to right now?

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I loved Reflektor but I'm also a huge fan of reggae. Definately an upgrade over their last album which was kind of a turd.

Really disappointed with the tour schedule. Their shows at Starlight were/are amazing but they don't have KC on the intitial schedule (I think they add dates in the spring or next summer). Of the venues they added most are arenas (which suck) or the venues themselves suck. The lone exception is the Armory, which is probably where I will end up going to.
I caught them on the Reflektor tour at the Target center in the Twin Cities. I was impressed with the scope of their live show.
Agree that more Midwest dates would be welcome.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Lately it's been lots and lots of early punk. Bad Brains, Fugazi, Circle Jerks, Descendents, GG Allin, X, including MC5 because they were REALLY early punk.
As if I couldn't like you anymore, you go and post a list like this.....................

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
As if I couldn't like you anymore, you go and post a list like this.....................

I know it's weird, but it is great music to listen to when I'm trying to get some work done quickly! Or exercising, it pushes you to keep up!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm in a musical rut. Give me some new bands to check out that have summer, happy vibes. (or really anything)

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've been listening to Kendrick Lamar's new album on repeat.

Reactions: Entropy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What are your thoughts/favorite songs?

It's more personal than anything he's ever done before. He still shares his life view, but we get more of who he is as a person, his origin story. It's interesting from a guy who tends to be really guarded.

"Count Me Out" is probably the catchiest. There's part of me that doesn't want to like "We Cry Together" as preachy, but it strikes me each time I listen to it. It reminds me of Eminem's "Kim" and him and Rihanna in "Love the Way You Lie," but I think it does it a little more bluntly? Which is probably necessary to ugly up volatile relationships and see them for what they are.

In contrast, though - "Auntie Diaries" sort of tries to do what Jay-Z did with "Smile." But Jay's was about his mom and was more touching, so I feel like that one could have been excluded, if that makes sense. Although it is good to be a contrite example.

The one song that I keep listening to in order to try and make out the denouement is "Mother I Sober." Obviously it's gutting and soul-baring to him, and his fiance (I thinks he's still his fiance?) talk about how he came through and is better - but I guess I don't really understand how the story ends, how he lifted the generational curse. By not accusing his cousin? Or not raping a female family member? I don't entirely understand - when it's included with his confession about sex addiction, I think that's part of why I find it so confusing, because he DID use sex to hurt someone and himself. I feel a little bit like a failure for not fully getting that one - and am assuming it's because I do not have the cultural background he does where this is generational, so maybe I'm not meant to understand.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron