What is everyone expecting? (in the long run)

What do you expect?

• Total voters

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When you're losing an argument and your point was rendered mute then resort to attacking the other posters "right to post here"....

Nice try.

1. I'm not trolling. I'm participating in the conversation by sharing my opinion. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it trolling.

2. I enjoy this board. Lots of good conversation. I don't just post in the football and rivalry forums. I've posted in threads involving off topic discussions like VEISHEA and stocks.

3. There's plenty of people who post on here that aren't Cyclone fans. Which means, like it or not, as long as I remain respectful I'm welcome. I show respect as long as it's shown to me. Which it is for the most part. Plus I have thick skin so I can deal with all the BS that comes with posting on a rivals forum. Maybe you should thicken yours up a little if all it takes is a "negative" perspective to bother you. Additionally, I don't need your permission to post here.

4. Yes, that's right.... I said RIVALS forum ^. I don't know what Hawk fans you're referring to who don't consider ISU a rival. Maybe there are some who make that claim, but I'm not one of them. We're in the same state and fans of both teams take the outcome of CyHawk game very seriously because we share our state together. It's about bragging rights. Don't confuse the fact a lot of Hawk fans wouldn't mind seeing the series ended with Hawk fans saying it isn't a rivalry. I'm a Hawk fan who is okay with the series ending (because in reality it's probably going to sooner than later), but as long as it's being played I certainly consider it a rivalry game.

You have consistently bad mouthed Cyclone athletics. Point out the positive things you have posted about ISU.

WHY would you want the series to end if you truly consider ISU to be a Rival? And what would be a good reason for it to end? To play another MAC or Sun Belt team?

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
It does show that a previous year's record does not mean that a team is doomed to have the same results. Iowa won 4 games in 2012. Going into 2013 the DL was perceived to be inexperienced and very weak. Sound familiar? We really have no idea how 2014 will play out for the Cyclones. Mangino has said that it is important for a young team to have a positive attitude going into the season. So let's keep things positive. Pretty obvious that you do not care about what is best for the ISU Cyclones.

Under KF, Iowa has a well known rep of having good lines on both sides of the ball so he improvement made by the d line from 2012 to 2013 wasn't that much of a surprise.

The same can't be said for ISU....but hey, at least you guys have a bunch of WR's with good measurables.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Under KF, Iowa has a well known rep of having good lines on both sides of the ball so he improvement made by the d line from 2012 to 2013 wasn't that much of a surprise.

The same can't be said for ISU....but hey, at least you guys have a bunch of WR's with good measurables.

What does this have to do with this thread? Can't hawktard start a thread about this in ISR?

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
What does this have to do with this thread? Can't hawktard start a thread about this in ISR?

Your boy, Stormin, brought Iowa into this thread. He said ISU could make a similar jump in win total as the 2013 Iowa team did. He compared the inexperienced Iowa d line in 2012 that turned into a strength in 2013 and said it looks familiar to the 2013 ISU d line.

I just simply said that comparison doesn't really work.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Your boy, Stormin, brought Iowa into this thread. He said ISU could make a similar jump in win total as the 2013 Iowa team did. He compared the inexperienced Iowa d line in 2012 that turned into a strength in 2013 and said it looks familiar to the 2013 ISU d line.

It doesn't work because the level of competition in the Big 12 is far superior. Stats on the strength of the conferences show the Big 12 being 2 slots higher than the Big 10 since 2004. That in itself makes the comparison moot. We might get better and be better, but that may not be reflected in the W/L column.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
It doesn't work because the level of competition in the Big 12 is far superior. Stats on the strength of the conferences show the Big 12 being 2 slots higher than the Big 10 since 2004. That in itself makes the comparison moot. We might get better and be better, but that may not be reflected in the W/L column.

Yeah, ok. That is the reason.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

I asked you to point out all the positive things you have said about ISU cyclone football. what positive things have you posted?

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
I asked you to point out all the positive things you have said about ISU cyclone football. what positive things have you posted?

Oh I apologize.

I have said ISU's WR's have some good measurables.

There isn't a ton of positives right now for the ISU football program, do you want me to just lie to you?

Here is what I can come up with:

Bibbs should be a monster.

If the OL can stay healthy they can be good this year.

That is about it.

Tell me what I missed.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
I think the big 12 dropped to a close 3rd behind the PAC-12. In the long run I don't expect to see ISU win any titles but I do expect ISU to go bowling every year, or at least most. Also, I expect to see more than 6 regular season wins in the near future.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Oh I apologize.

I have said ISU's WR's have some good measurables.

There isn't a ton of positives right now for the ISU football program, do you want me to just lie to you?

Here is what I can come up with:

Bibbs should be a monster.

If the OL can stay healthy they can be good this year.

That is about it.

Tell me what I missed.

This about sums it up. I might add that Mangino SHOULD be an upgrade at the OC position. However, I'll wait to see what happens before I expect anything there. Seems as if a lot of Cyclone fans are already expecting him to make a major impact, and when you consider the fact he hasn't coached a single live play while receiving a paycheck from ISU I'd say it's a bit premature to anoint him "Mangenius" as so many already have. After the past couple seasons I would think Cyclone fans would learn their lesson about getting their hopes up too much.

Couple other things that come to mind...

Morrissey should be an above average defensive end, and Tribune an above average CB. That's the only positives I can come up with on the defensive side without inserting hope into the equation. If Jensen is supposed to be a big help at DT then that tells you a lot about the caliber of athlete at that position because well he just is not very good. I did love that interview that the dbacks coach gave (can't remember his name right now). He seems like a damn good coach.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This about sums it up. I might add that Mangino SHOULD be an upgrade at the OC position. However, I'll wait to see what happens before I expect anything there. Seems as if a lot of Cyclone fans are already expecting him to make a major impact, and when you consider the fact he hasn't coached a single live play while receiving a paycheck from ISU I'd say it's a bit premature to anoint him "Mangenius" as so many already have. After the past couple seasons I would think Cyclone fans would learn their lesson about getting their hopes up too much.

Couple other things that come to mind...

Morrissey should be an above average defensive end, and Tribune an above average CB. That's the only positives I can come up with on the defensive side without inserting hope into the equation. If Jensen is supposed to be a big help at DT then that tells you a lot about the caliber of athlete at that position because well he just is not very good. I did love that interview that the dbacks coach gave (can't remember his name right now). He seems like a damn good coach.

Mangino is called Mangenius because of his track record as a long time OC and also as a HC at Kansas. Art Briles considers him to be an Offensive Genius. The hiring of Mangino as OC has been labeled to be the best coaching hire of the off season. Discount that if you wish. But contrast it with the OC we had last year. And then look at the other coaches we brought in along with Mangino.

Enthused and optimistic? Damn right.......and with good reason. Anyone in their right mind would be enthused.

As far as Jensen is concerned, he is very average, but did start last year. And that adds greatly to experience and depth. As a 5th year senior I expect him to be better than last year. Morrissey was Honorable Mention All Big 12 last year........which makes him an above average Defensive End already......and the word is that he has improved a lot.

Three CB's started games last year. Tribune, Richardson, and Lynn. Young but we do have starting experience for the 2 CB positions with 3 CB's who have started.

At LB, everyone is back except for Jeremiah George. 3 LB's have started at the two outside LB positions. We are looking at 3 candidates to fill MLB. The leading Juco tackler is currently behind Meeks, a promising RS Freshman, along with Seeley who has played Special Teams and is a RS Sophomore.

On offense we return pretty much everyone. Bundrage is good. West is shifty. Montgomery Redshirted last year after transferring and is a big physical receiver with speed who saw action in every game as a True Freshman at South Florida.

We return our starting RB in Wimberly. And return two QB's who started games last year. And Bibbs is not just a good TE. Bibbs is a great TE. Possibly the best in the nation.

So there are a whole lot of reasons to be enthused about the possibilities for this next season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What I would like to see is for us to be where Iowa is under Kurt (minus the boring playing style and delusional fans); they consistently win 6-8 games and every few years when they have a veteran team break out for 9-10 wins and end up in a more prestigious bowl. I think it's realistic for us to reach this point, and I think we have one of the best staffs assembled to do this. We would likely suffer the occasional 2013-esque year (record-wise); being Iowa State we still would have to rebuild every now and then.

I get this line of thinking, but given the schedule disparity I'd adjust one win backward. Average 5-7 wins per year and have a breakout team for 8-9 wins. If we won 10 games with this schedule for example (huge hypothetical) it would be a more impressive year than Iowa winning 10 games with that schedule.

If ISU can ever turn the corner, the Big 12 could be an advantage over Iowa and Nebraska. Training/practice facilities are effectively second to none as of this year (it's hard to imagine pro teams having much better training facilities), with the SEZ the stadium size/look gap won't be as drastic as it once was...so if we can win we're left with a conference footprint that is loaded with talent much deeper than Texas, OU and A&M could ever deplete. Where as Nebraska is left being 5th fiddle at best if they try to recruit the Big Ten rust belt which doesn't yield talent as deep as Texas anyway. Iowa has devised an incredible recruiting/development system to counteract this, Neb will soon be hitting a brick wall and should copy Iowa.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Mangino is called Mangenius because of his track record as a long time OC and also as a HC at Kansas. Art Briles considers him to be an Offensive Genius. The hiring of Mangino as OC has been labeled to be the best coaching hire of the off season. Discount that if you wish. But contrast it with the OC we had last year. And then look at the other coaches we brought in along with Mangino.

Enthused and optimistic? Damn right.......and with good reason. Anyone in their right mind would be enthused.

As far as Jensen is concerned, he is very average, but did start last year. And that adds greatly to experience and depth. As a 5th year senior I expect him to be better than last year. Morrissey was Honorable Mention All Big 12 last year........which makes him an above average Defensive End already......and the word is that he has improved a lot.

Three CB's started games last year. Tribune, Richardson, and Lynn. Young but we do have starting experience for the 2 CB positions with 3 CB's who have started.

At LB, everyone is back except for Jeremiah George. 3 LB's have started at the two outside LB positions. We are looking at 3 candidates to fill MLB. The leading Juco tackler is currently behind Meeks, a promising RS Freshman, along with Seeley who has played Special Teams and is a RS Sophomore.

On offense we return pretty much everyone. Bundrage is good. West is shifty. Montgomery Redshirted last year after transferring and is a big physical receiver with speed who saw action in every game as a True Freshman at South Florida.

We return our starting RB in Wimberly. And return two QB's who started games last year. And Bibbs is not just a good TE. Bibbs is a great TE. Possibly the best in the nation.

So there are a whole lot of reasons to be enthused about the possibilities for this next season.

The thing that you don't mention when you are talking about the players who are back is the fact these guys contributed to a 3-9 season last year. The defense was atrocious and the offense was arguably worse. Yes, most of the offense is back and with Mangino and a healthy offensive line I understand the reasons one could be optimistic about that side of the ball. However, a QB still needs to step up and play consistently well. It's been a long time since a QB in Ames has played consistently well.

The biggest ? for me though is and always has been the defense. I just don't see any hope on the defensive side because the weakest spot last year very well could be even worse this year. It certainly isn't going to be any better. I understand what you're going to say. You're going to argue the whole addition by subtraction theme that a few of you have been saying this offseason just to make yourselves feel better about the situation at DT, but I think it's a bunch of BS quite frankly. A better offense will help the defense, but it remains to be seen how much the offense will improve and it would take a pretty big offensive jolt to swing the overall momentum enough to win games considering the other side of the ball isn't going to be stopping anyone on a regular basis.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

If someone can't look at our WR/TE group and the Mangino hire and not be optimistic there's something wrong with them, if it doesn't click this year it will next year. Those WRs and QBs at KU were good but they didn't go on to light up the NFL or anything, our group of skill players just as talented. We're fortunate he's starting with some good tools because hasn't always been the case.

Reesing was the best QB KU ever had, cut from CFL, no NFL
Briscoe and Meier were their best two WRs ever, didn't pan out in NFL despite looking the part
Sharp was one of their best best RBs ever, no pro career that I'm aware of

Mangino was a step ahead of the Big 12 and most of the country with that team. ISU already has equal or better talent at several positions on offense. I'd say at least two or three of our WR/TE have similar or better NFL prospects.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The thing that you don't mention when you are talking about the players who are back is the fact these guys contributed to a 3-9 season last year. The defense was atrocious and the offense was arguably worse. Yes, most of the offense is back and with Mangino and a healthy offensive line I understand the reasons one could be optimistic about that side of the ball. However, a QB still needs to step up and play consistently well. It's been a long time since a QB in Ames has played consistently well.

The biggest ? for me though is and always has been the defense. I just don't see any hope on the defensive side because the weakest spot last year very well could be even worse this year. It certainly isn't going to be any better. I understand what you're going to say. You're going to argue the whole addition by subtraction theme that a few of you have been saying this offseason just to make yourselves feel better about the situation at DT, but I think it's a bunch of BS quite frankly. A better offense will help the defense, but it remains to be seen how much the offense will improve and it would take a pretty big offensive jolt to swing the overall momentum enough to win games considering the other side of the ball isn't going to be stopping anyone on a regular basis.

Using your logic.......a young player is as good as he will ever get. A RS Freshman will not improve. A RS Sophomore will not improve. They are what they were. A Freshman starter won't get any better. And a team that started young people all over have no hope of ever getting better. Injuries are irrelevant. And the fact that the OL NEVER started the same starting lineup for 2 consecutive games until the 10th game of the season should just be ignored.

The fact that Chris Williams and others have actually stated they expect the Defense to be improved over last year should be ignored as well.

Young players improve. And call me enthused that we have younger people actually beating out older team members. Evidence that we are recruiting better players.

And the Cyclone Nation is enthused as well. Consider that we are sold out of virtually ALL tickets for the first 3 games..........and have not even had to entice our fanbase with Free Gas and Free Tuition to coax them into buying tickets. LOL.:twitcy::twitcy:

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines
With top coaching talent on our team, there is no reason we can't win a BCS bowl game. Mangino did at KU, he can do it here. May take a three or four years, but once we see the 2014/2015 classes mature and develop we should be solid.

For 2014 I fully expect this schedule, any less and I will be disappointed (KOOL AID INCLUDED).

vs NDSU - W
vs KSU - L
@ IOWA - L
vs Baylor - L
@ OSU - L
vs TOL - W
@ TX - L
vs OU - L
@ KU - W
vs TTU - W
vs WVU - W
@ TCU - W

5-7 worst case scenario (losing at TX and TCU)
6-6 content with scenario (losing at TX, W at TCU or vice versa)
7-5 better case scenario (winning at TCU and TX)
8-4 best case scenario (winning at TX, TCU, and OSU)

TCU, TX, and OSU are toss ups imo. I also think KSU and Iowa will be, but history shows we tend to lose to them.

(EDIT: REALISTICALLY WE ARE ISU, WE ALWAYS GET HIT IN THE NUTS SO THAT IS WHAT I EXPECT).

Last edited:

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
Seriously, 40% of you are disappointed with less than 8 wins each season? I hope I'm just missing the joke here. We've had 8+ wins 1 time in the last 35 years...let's keep the expectations realistic if you're going to be an Iowa State fan.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Seriously, 40% of you are disappointed with less than 8 wins each season? I hope I'm just missing the joke here. We've had 8+ wins 1 time in the last 35 years...let's keep the expectations realistic if you're going to be an Iowa State fan.

They are Chicago Cubs Fans as well. Only a World Series Championship Team is acceptable.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

How many of those seasons were 11 games or less though, or in times when 7 win teams didn't get bowls? Winning 8 games from a 12 game schedule (13 if you get to six wins) is historically probably comparable to 7 or 6 wins. Granted our schedule likely has the highest % of quality opponents ever too, but strictly speaking in terms of games played per season.

I really hate the 'all-time' stats broadcasters throw out about teams getting to 10 or 11 wins. For a lot of college football history 10 wins meant undefeated. They shouldn't compare 10-0 from a previous era to going 10-3 now, it should be compared to going 8-2 in a previous era. But they love dramatizing stats.