Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Football

Votes: 80 70.2%

• Total voters

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
As Vanilla pointed out we didn't have soccer in our high school. I prefer football, basketball, wrestling and track to a bunch of people running around kicking a ball. Just my opinion but I prefer what I consider to be the core sports.

I find it funny that you are opposed to people "running around kicking a ball" but you find it's okay for people to just simply run around a track. Yep, it's your opinion, just wanted to know your reasoning for your dislike of soccer.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Half of a soccer game is the team with the ball going backwards... Put in a shot clock and bigger goals and you might get a better audience in America...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Never thought about that viewpoint, yet it is similar strategy as running the football to shorten game, dribble the ball a long time, etc.

I had the chance to coach kid soccer teams for twenty years and I feel soccer is the one game that a 5-12 year old can look "semi-prrofessional" at an early age. The reasoon why the rest of the world like soccer so much is you only need a soccer ball, you can play with any number of people, or you can practice with yourself against a wall.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Half of a soccer game is the team with the ball going backwards... Put in a shot clock and bigger goals and you might get a better audience in America...

Soccer would be 10 times better if they just got rid of offsides. This rule doesn't make any sense, and it's a big reason why no one scores any goals. It's like saying you can't have a fast break layup in basketball or can't pass beyond the defensive backs in football.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Soccer would be 10 times better if they just got rid of offsides. This rule doesn't make any sense, and it's a big reason why no one scores any goals. It's like saying you can't have a fast break layup in basketball or can't pass beyond the defensive backs in football.

True. That would be very interesting to see a match without offsides.

What I don't understand is people saying the game is slow. It doesn't stop and you can't take a break or you may miss a goal (quite possibly the only one). It's a game of close calls and almosts.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I find it funny that you are opposed to people "running around kicking a ball" but you find it's okay for people to just simply run around a track. Yep, it's your opinion, just wanted to know your reasoning for your dislike of soccer.

I like track because you are in direct competition with your competitors and it is you vs. them.

Honestly and bluntly I look at socer as the sport that overprotective parents want their kids to play so they don't get hurt playing a sport like football. Its my opinion and my opinion only that this is leading to the pussification of kids these days. Like I said its just my opinion.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I like track because you are in direct competition with your competitors and it is you vs. them.

Honestly and bluntly I look at socer as the sport that overprotective parents want their kids to play so they don't get hurt playing a sport like football. Its my opinion and my opinion only that this is leading to the pussification of kids these days. Like I said its just my opinion.

Since you never have played soccer, you wouldn't know how physical soccer actually is. Granted it isn't as physical as Football, Hockey, UFC, Boxing or Rugby, but it sure is more physical than basketball, track, tennis, golf, nascar, and on and on. I've been hit harder on the soccer field than I ever did during football. The world doesn't get why we like football because football players where all those pads. They are used to their athletes playing without any protection whatsoever and find it funny we need so much for football.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
What's up with the hatred of soccer? Were you jealous of the soccer players getting all the chicks in high school?
:skeptical:

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but that sir is the funniest dang thing I have ever read! I thought all you soccer player were just keeping those chicks around so you wouldn't have to buy eggs everyday for breakfast. :wink:

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Now that I have caught up, I just cannot find soccer interesting for most of the reasons Curt stated above. I have played soccer when I was younger and just never enjoyed it, don't hate the people that do though. I do know that I can't use the argument of disliking soccer because all they do is run around kicking balls, since I wrestled and to an outsider all it looked like was us rolling around trying to grab.....

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Soccer would be better if they would stop the flopping. It is horrible to watch, someone barely gets hit and they act like someone just shot them. 20 seconds later they are fine.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
For me soccer is the most boring to watch - just IMO
As for America's True sport, I'm going with NASCAR, if nothing else just to make the NASCAR haters get upset.

P.S. In the poll I voted for Football

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
The NBA would be better if they would stop the flopping. It is horrible to watch, someone barely gets hit and they act like someone just shot them. 20 seconds later they are fine.

That would work too.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

I have a feeling you're just trying to antagonize the soccer fans, but you have to admit you have to be in a LOT better shape to play soccer than you do to play football.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Bingo that is my wife. She wants them to play soccer, they want to play hockey. I tried to explain to her that hockey is one of the safest sports. And there is very little cheapshotting going on. When there is a fight, it is done with the consent of both sides. It is really a gentlemans game :)

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
You can make any sport sound stupid if you dumb it down the way that one poster did by saying all you do is run around kicking a ball.

In basketball, all you do is try to get a ball in a hole. In golf, all you do is hit a little ball, just so you can walk up to it and do it again.

With all that said, I am not a soccer fan. I played soccer when I was a kid, but then again, didn't all kids play soccer? I respect soccer because those players have to be in terrific shape and they have more talent than I do, but I just don't like the game.

I'd rather watch baseball, football, basketball, wrestling, tennis, track, bowling, and spelling bees over soccer.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
For me soccer is the most boring to watch - just IMO
As for America's True sport, I'm going with NASCAR, if nothing else just to make the NASCAR haters get upset.

P.S. In the poll I voted for Football

You know we have not done that for a good long time. I am looking forward to the Daytona 500 this year. Gonna try to get it this year, I really am.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Bingo that is my wife. She wants them to play soccer, they want to play hockey. I tried to explain to her that hockey is one of the safest sports. And there is very little cheapshotting going on. When there is a fight, it is done with the consent of both sides. It is really a gentlemans game :)

I won't let my boys play hockey because it's so darn expensive, but as far as the contact in hockey I don't even think they let them check until they're 10 or 11.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I have a feeling you're just trying to antagonize the soccer fans, but you have to admit you have to be in a LOT better shape to play soccer than you do to play football.

I am not trying to antagonize anyone, its just my opinion.

And yes I do agree you have to be in great shape to play soccer.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am not trying to antagonize anyone, its just my opinion.

And yes I do agree you have to be in great shape to play soccer.

Ummm what? You might need more endurance, but not nearly as much strength, do not confuse endurance with being in shape. I can run for 4 hrs straight without stopping, but I am very weak anymore, I would say I am not in shape.

Help Support Us

Become a patron