What I'm hearing about Jalen Terry

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Many on here probably know this, but some may not. Grayer and Rice were on the same HS team - Flint NW (a year apart). And, get this, Andre "Bad Moon" Rison, NFL WR, was the PG, at least during Rice's senior year, as my HS team scrimmaged them at Johnny's team BB camp. I also played (I use that term loosely; I was a so-so HS player) against Grayer the year before in Johnny's camp. Wow, the talent Grayer & Rice had was crazy. That Flint NW team that Rice came with to ISU camp was ranked ~3rd in the country...also had a guard go to USC... even the reserves were slamming in rebounds. Impressive talent. If we'd have just gotten Rice... I always wondered if Tom Schafer transferring to ISU at the time had any influence on Rice's decision too. Don't know.
Anthony Pendleton was the guard that went to USC. I remember hearing that they all wore tape on their knuckles. Something about keeping their hands in proper shooting form.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Many on here probably know this, but some may not. Grayer and Rice were on the same HS team - Flint NW (a year apart). And, get this, Andre "Bad Moon" Rison, NFL WR, was the PG, at least during Rice's senior year, as my HS team scrimmaged them at Johnny's team BB camp. I also played (I use that term loosely; I was a so-so HS player) against Grayer the year before in Johnny's camp. Wow, the talent Grayer & Rice had was crazy. That Flint NW team that Rice came with to ISU camp was ranked ~3rd in the country...also had a guard go to USC... even the reserves were slamming in rebounds. Impressive talent. If we'd have just gotten Rice... I always wondered if Tom Schafer transferring to ISU at the time had any influence on Rice's decision too. Don't know.

I doubt it.....I'd bet Rice had his heart set on Michigan, and since Frieder wasn't actively recruiting him, he went with Orr. (Orr was a legend at Ann Arbor, of course.) But Michigan has been a pretty fertile area for ISU ever since Orr came here.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
According to lore, Orr had a verbal from Rice - and then the three targets that Frieder had went to other schools (Lowell Hamilton to Illinois, Roy Marble to Iowa, and Todd Mitchell to Purdue). Supposedly Orr had asked Frieder about recruiting Rice and got the OK, but when Frieder lost all his targets, he went running after Rice and promised him the moon. The rest is history.

Can you imagine Rice and Grayer on the same team? (Only for one year, but still.....)

If you will permit an old timer to comment--- This is the way I remember the recruitment of Rice. Only the guy who went to Purdue was Melvin McCants. Frieder told Johnny he could have Rice, but when he lost out on all three preferred recruits, he went after Rice.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I was at the particular ISU mbb game in the 80's where the P.A. announcer introduced (not by name) Glen Rice & Lowell Hamilton early in the game, as they walked out of the tunnel to their seats. I was sitting up a few rows with my dad.

Despite no internet, etc., the entire crowd knew who they were and they received a rousing welcome.

Quite a coup for Orr to get them in on an official visit. They were among the top-5 HS recruits in the country

• Informative
Reactions: ca4cy

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Anthony Pendleton was the guard that went to USC. I remember hearing that they all wore tape on their knuckles. Something about keeping their hands in proper shooting form.
Yep, Pendleton. I don't recall any of the others having tape on their knuckles, but Rice always did. Never heard why.