CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
It’s more luck than anything, and if you haven’t noticed over the last 20 years, midmajor talent can generally knock off mediocre P6s like UConn, Pitt, and Oregon, and pull off home upsets. Of course they aren’t as bad as the jokes, but that doesn’t change the UNI comparison. What games of Iowa’s would many of the past UNI tournament teams not win?

Fran is pretty lucky that his collection of Tavernhawks plus Cook and Garza mesh well on offense, and that refs fall for their flopping. He should get creditr nD getting them to find a path to competing. And he’s owned Prohm twice in Iowa City, but Fran has the benefit of it being their Super Bowl.

We'll put it this way - which of their losses wouldn't we have taken? Maybe Minnesota? Maybe one of the home ones? They aren't as terrible as some people here like to think.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We'll put it this way - which of their losses wouldn't we have taken? Maybe Minnesota? Maybe one of the home ones? They aren't as terrible as some people here like to think.

I wouldn't take a drubbing in conference play whatsoever.

They're a decent team. Have some length causes problems and some good spot up shooters. Cook is good so long as he can shove himself to the hoop.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I wouldn't take a drubbing in conference play whatsoever.

They're a decent team. Have some length causes problems and some good spot up shooters. Cook is good so long as he can shove himself to the hoop.

I guess all I'm trying to say is they're likely an NCAA tournament team and saying its a team filled with mid-major talent-level recruits is not accurate.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess all I'm trying to say is they're likely an NCAA tournament team and saying its a team filled with mid-major talent-level recruits is not accurate.

Have a lot of their players been recruited by other P6 programs?

I don't follow recruiting...I don't see a lot of variance in skills on their team but what they have seems to work well together so whatever.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Have a lot of their players been recruited by other P6 programs?

I don't follow recruiting...I don't see a lot of variance in skills on their team but what they have seems to work well together so whatever.

Tyrese wasn't highly recruited while Zion had a Kansas offer. I'd call Tyrese a P6 player despite the lack of offers.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Tyrese wasn't highly recruited while Zion had a Kansas offer. I'd call Tyrese a P6 player despite the lack of offers.

Cool.

Have a lot of Iowa's players been recruited by other major programs? And do you see a variance in skill sets among them? I don't. But it must mesh well.

Tyrese was a diamond but he can do many things, like dribble up the court without looking like it's kind of difficult for him.

• Agree
Reactions: swessball

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Well there’s Hawkeye nation.com waiting right over there for you. If you want to fluff their balls im sure they would love it there.

• Friendly

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Well there’s Hawkeye nation.com waiting right over there for you. If you want to fluff their balls im sure they would love it there.

Sweet. Cool. Anyone that follows basketball would know that Iowa has a decent team this year and it really shouldn't take much debate. Anyone denying it just chooses to ignore it. And I'd strongly prefer they go 0-34 every year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Sweet. Cool. Anyone that follows basketball would know that Iowa has a decent team this year and it really shouldn't take much debate. Anyone denying it just chooses to ignore it. And I'd strongly prefer they go 0-34 every year.

I just don’t really give a ****. If they are decent **** them. If they suck **** them. Decent or not their style of garbage ball is pathetic and their coach is a dickhole. Ask Dolph.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I just don’t really give a ****. If they are decent **** them. If they suck **** them. Decent or not their style of garbage ball is pathetic and their coach is a dickhole. Ask Dolph.

They will always suck and I wish their fans and them nothing but the worst. The world would be better off without them.

• Friendly

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've always wondered if there's something to bad losses like that.

UNI had that collapse against A&M.

Nebraska football got beat down in that Black Friday loss at Colorado.

Miami had the Fiesta Bowl loss to OSU.

Heck, our basketball program wasn't the same for a decade after the ******* loss (I know there were more factors than that affecting our program, but still).

I absolutely subscribe to that theory- You won't win every game when you're turning around a program, but a close loss sets you and the fanbase back a lot less than a blowout. 5-7 but getting blown out in a bunch of games makes it a lot harder to sell 'hope' for next year both to fans and recruits than 5-7 and 'a few plays away from 9-3'. Fans (and recruits) can convince themselves that even just a reasonable increase in talent or execution can make the difference between a down year and a magical year.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
my post said they have 4 P6 players and the rest are UNI level. What players that I didn't bold would you consider P6?

If Bohannon played like he did tonight, then sure. He doesn't usually play that well however.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
As far as basketball, everybody else has nailed it. Fran's inability to recruit is killing UNI. UNI had Pemsl and Kriener in the bag until Fran came way late and dangled being a Hawk and playing in the Big 10 in front of them. Those two front court guys alone to go with UNIs guards make them the best team in the Valley this year. Throw in Phyfe missing the year and injuries to Pickford and Goldman and that's why UNI has been inconsistent. Green is going to be the best player in UNI history and is on pace to destroy the all time scoring record but is still kind of forcing things due to not having a great supporting cast. He'll be Valley POY in the future and he would have certainly seen minutes at Iowa State or Virginia this year if he'd decided to leave Cedar Falls.

From a department wide perspective we're on our second consecutive poor AD. Troy Dannen was a disaster that tried to run the department like he was still running the Girl's Union and had absolutely no big dreams or aspirations but did get the budget under control. Now David Harris can dream big and fund raises well but he has no earthly idea what he's doing as far as running a major college athletic program on a day to day basis. Had a staff mutiny that led to every other experienced person in the department to just flat out quit.

Football is what it is. Farley is a marvelous recruiter that has some of the best talent at the FCS level but, a lot like Paul Rhodes, can't get out of the way of his staff on game day and tries to control everything. Dannen also saddled him with the toughest FCS schedule in the country year in and year out. I've been in the Fire Farley crowd but, at the same time, I'm not sure you do much better unless you're okay with revolving door of young coaches.

Well, I don't know if I'm the most visible dual ISU/UNI fan on here, but I know I've mentioned many times before that I am one, which I make no apologies for, so I almost feel obligated to answer the OP.

Can't speak much to the inner workings of the AD with me living in Colorado, so I'll defer to 1UNI2ISU on that one. I do know that Troy Dannen had more than worn out his welcome by the time he left.

For football, count me in as one of the fans who wants Farley gone; this last season I ended up paying almost no attention to the results, since we (UNI) got blown out in the very first game of the season, which follows past seasons trends of getting our a$$ kicked against a good but beatable non-conference opponent, winning a game we have no business winning, followed up by losing a game we have no business losing, which ends up in hosting a first round game in the playoffs against an overmatched team, before going on the road and losing in the second round. Rinse, repeat, recycle, season after season. It gets old, and I'm ready for a change. However, as long as he wins just enough I expect him to stay there.

As for basketball, I really can't add much more than what is written above, other than to write that the current junior class, IMO the source for most of the ills with UNI BB, was a much better class on paper than it's turned out to be so far. PG Juwan McCloud, who transferred to a Division II team, was a very good recruit who just didn't out. There goes someone that was relied upon to be the PG for three or four years. Luke McDonnell was getting some Big Ten interest, including from TOE, before he signed with UNI. He's having a decent season finally, but didn't see the floor much at all his first two years. The margin of error for MVC schools when it comes to misses in recruiting is much narrower than it is for Power 5 schools. I'm patient enough for now to want to give Ben Jacobson the chance to dig the program out of the hole it's currently in, as I do think he's the best coach in UNI history, and it's not even close, but the program is clearly trending downward, and if we 3-8 versus Division I competition in the non-conference next year the way we did this season, I think his seat will get hot and deservedly so. I'm not happy with this season, but the only senior is Wyatt Lohaus, so most of the pieces are coming back with a decent recruiting class coming in.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I was going to say the same thing. The timing obviously coincides with losing a lot of talent off that team and not replacing it to that level, but I swear that loss changed the program. Jacobson was considered one of the best tacticians in CBB until there were 60 seconds left in that game. That loss seemed to strip a lot away from him and the program. Even as a casual observer/kind of a hater due to purple hawks, that was painful to watch. It had to be an absolute soul crusher for anyone affiliated with UNI bball.

I had tears of happiness in my eyes during the final two minutes of regulation watching that game, in part because I thought it was so cool that my two favorite teams were both going to be in the Sweet 16, which quickly turned to absolute horror during the meltdown in the last 45 seconds of the game or whatever it was.

I couldn't even watch the overtimes. I had to turn off the TV. To this day, if someone offered me a million dollars to watch the last 11 minutes of the game, both regulation and the overtimes, I would turn them down flat.

And just to be clear, I would feel the same way if ISU ever lost a game that way. H*ll, after the 2001 debacle against You Know Who, I had to shut off CBS every single damn time they showed the YKW coach being carried off the floor because of the physiological reaction my body had every time I saw it.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
They haven't been the same since that soul-crushing loss to A&M in the tournament a few years ago.
I'm pretty sure I'd quit watching sports if something of that magnitude happened to one of my teams. Has to be one of the worst collapses in the history of sport.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure I'd quit watching sports if something of that magnitude happened to one of my teams. Has to be one of the worst collapses in the history of sport.

Yeah, it sucked. Big time.

On a semi-related note, I couldn't watch the rest of the first round games on the day when we lost to f*ckin' UAB back in 2015. I was so pissed off after that game that I wanted nothing to do with basketball for the rest of the day.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy and kentkel

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I had tears of happiness in my eyes during the final two minutes of regulation watching that game, in part because I thought it was so cool that my two favorite teams were both going to be in the Sweet 16, which quickly turned to absolute horror during the meltdown in the last 45 seconds of the game or whatever it was.

I couldn't even watch the overtimes. I had to turn off the TV. To this day, if someone offered me a million dollars to watch the last 11 minutes of the game, both regulation and the overtimes, I would turn them down flat.

Although I have no love lost for UNI sports, I'm empathetic for (most) fanbases that would have to experience such a collapse.

An additional layer to the situation was, only 2 days before, UNI had that half-court buzzer beater to upset Texas. To go from that to the A&M finish in roughly a 48-hour span must have been a bizarre mood-swing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron