CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Well a lot of people are wanting Farley to go away in football. Not sure who they would get if he wasn’t there.

Basketball just as other have said but also not having Fife hurts because they don’t really have any good size like they have had in the past.

I'd love to see that purple hok be humbled. Long time coming for the *******.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Iowa State has a better supporting cast, but that also means (1.) you role will be limited, such as Haliburton's role right now* and (2.) you are going to be playing against much better players and athletes in the Big 12 than you would be in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Figuring out how those all net out with each other is kind of hard without real data.

*I love Tyrese, and he is great, but he is not asked to do as much ball-handling as Nick or to create his own shot so much like Marial, Lindell, and Talen. He just has to keep the ball moving, read the defense, play good defense, and make his open threes when he has them. He is benefiting greatly from having upperclassmen around and a defined, limited role.
Case in point:
upload_2019-2-7_15-58-20.jpeg

I like Clayton and am very happy for him, but if he stays at ISU there is zero chance he is conference player of the year.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Hence, the wallflower role.

In a four guard system, being the 6th guard should see some PT though.

Not when your coach only choses to play 5 guards on a regular basis. CSP likes splitting time with his top 5 guards and it has worked out well. He is not going to pull a Fran and go 14 deep. It just doesn't work well doing that.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
That conference lost all its luster when Creighton and WSU left. It has to make it harder for the remaining schools to sell the MVC to recruits. It's like the Horizon league now.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
From a department wide perspective we're on our second consecutive poor AD. Troy Dannen was a disaster that tried to run the department like he was still running the Girl's Union and had absolutely no big dreams or aspirations but did get the budget under control. Now David Harris can dream big and fund raises well but he has no earthly idea what he's doing as far as running a major college athletic program on a day to day basis. Had a staff mutiny that led to every other experienced person in the department to just flat out quit.

That's interesting, since Harris worked under Jamie Pollard for 10 years at ISU, and Pollard seems to be pretty darn good at day-to-day operations.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU and Doc

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I once scoffed at the idea their basketball program struggles because Iowa steals their players but I think it's 100 percent true. I'd venture to guess out of Kreiner, JBo, Pemsl, Till and dailey at least 2-3 of them would wind up at UNI.

Doesn't Jacobsen require the ability to defend though and do any of those Iowa players have that ability?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Oh man, I still can’t believe they lost that. That was literally a program killing loss.

I've always wondered if there's something to bad losses like that.

UNI had that collapse against A&M.

Nebraska football got beat down in that Black Friday loss at Colorado.

Miami had the Fiesta Bowl loss to OSU.

Heck, our basketball program wasn't the same for a decade after the ******* loss (I know there were more factors than that affecting our program, but still).

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
They haven't been the same since that soul-crushing loss to A&M in the tournament a few years ago.

I was going to say the same thing. The timing obviously coincides with losing a lot of talent off that team and not replacing it to that level, but I swear that loss changed the program. Jacobson was considered one of the best tacticians in CBB until there were 60 seconds left in that game. That loss seemed to strip a lot away from him and the program. Even as a casual observer/kind of a hater due to purple hawks, that was painful to watch. It had to be an absolute soul crusher for anyone affiliated with UNI bball.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not when your coach only choses to play 5 guards on a regular basis. CSP likes splitting time with his top 5 guards and it has worked out well. He is not going to pull a Fran and go 14 deep.
Well, coaches learn and change. Nearly two years ago he chose to add two scrub forwards so that we could better play two “bigs”.

Playing 2 guards off the bench in a four guard system isn’t going 14 deep.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've always wondered if there's something to bad losses like that.

UNI had that collapse against A&M.

Nebraska football got beat down in that Black Friday loss at Colorado.

Miami had the Fiesta Bowl loss to OSU.

Heck, our basketball program wasn't the same for a decade after the ******* loss (I know there were more factors than that affecting our program, but still).

I know they've still won some bowl games and all since then, but OU getting absolutely curb stomped in the 04/05 Orange Bowl by USC left them hungover and vulnerable for a couple of seasons and they got clowned a few times in bowls.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Iowa's recruits since 2014

Dickerson - transferred to North Dakota
Uhl - barely played. Would have been better transferring
Ellingson - transferred down
Baer - UNI level player

Hutton - transferred to NW St.
Moss - ok though had a rough start.
Fleming - transferred to Lipscomb
Wagner - plays football
Jones - injured, then did nothing
C. Williams - transferred

Cook - still don't know how Iowa pulled that out. Good player
Pemsl - Heard Iowa wanted him to transfer but he stayed because he's a hawk fan? Should be at UNI
Bohannon - ok. I think with a different coach at Iowa he doesn't end up there. Should be at UNI
Kriener - UNI level
Dailey - should be at a mid major

Garza - better than I expected. Belongs in D1
McCaffrey - don't think he'd be a p5 player if not for his father. Better at baseball.
Nunge - redshirting? Mid-major player

Weiskamp - will be decent. D1 player
Frederick - had some D1 offers. Too early to judge though he'll probably be a mid major player

Lots of players not bolded that would be decent at UNI/drake level than playing in a power 5 conference .

Iowa State 14 and 15 classes look pretty similar to Iowa's 14 and 15 classes with lots of misses. That is why ISU struggled last year a lot. The last 2 classes produced Wigginton, THT, Haliburton, and Conditt (kinda early on him but I think he'll turn out good). The only ones debatable are Lewis and Griffin (more to PT for Griffin)

I find it funny that Iowa has had all these mid major players yet they are 17-5 and beat us. I hate Iowa as much as the next guy, but it either means that McCaffery is one of the best X's and O's coaches in the country to overcome his recruiting or maybe these guys are better than you're giving them credit for. Weiskamp has a chance to be a very good B1G player. Garza is already an above average 5. Bohannon is a great fit for their offense, which is a top 10 KenPom offense. If these are UNI players and went to UNI they'd win 28 games.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I find it funny that Iowa has had all these mid major players yet they are 17-5 and beat us. I hate Iowa as much as the next guy, but it either means that McCaffery is one of the best X's and O's coaches in the country to overcome his recruiting or maybe these guys are better than you're giving them credit for. Weiskamp has a chance to be a very good B1G player. Garza is already an above average 5. Bohannon is a great fit for their offense, which is a top 10 KenPom offense. If these are UNI players and went to UNI they'd win 28 games.

It’s more luck than anything, and if you haven’t noticed over the last 20 years, midmajor talent can generally knock off mediocre P6s like UConn, Pitt, and Oregon, and pull off home upsets. Of course they aren’t as bad as the jokes, but that doesn’t change the UNI comparison. What games of Iowa’s would many of the past UNI tournament teams not win?

Fran is pretty lucky that his collection of Tavernhawks plus Cook and Garza mesh well on offense, and that refs fall for their flopping. He should get creditr nD getting them to find a path to competing. And he’s owned Prohm twice in Iowa City, but Fran has the benefit of it being their Super Bowl.