isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Honest question here. I thought with AJ Green they would be decent, but they suck. Their football quality has gone down significantly in recent years. What's going on up in Cedar Falls? I only thought about them today because I realized I hadn't heard a thing about them for months. Went and looked up their record, not great Bob. Without the Big 4 game in DSM, and with the quality of their team, they are easily going to be an afterthought in central Iowa unless they can get their act together.

We can only hope.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I still think A.J. Green would have looked good in cardinal and gold.

He only has a 2.2 on Barttovik, though. Our current guards are much better.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Honest question here. I thought with AJ Green they would be decent, but they suck. Their football quality has gone down significantly in recent years. What's going on up in Cedar Falls? I only thought about them today because I realized I hadn't heard a thing about them for months. Went and looked up their record, not great Bob. Without the Big 4 game in DSM, and with the quality of their team, they are easily going to be an afterthought in central Iowa unless they can get their act together.
What happened? Iowa became UNI.

AJ Green may be their best player, but he isn’t ready for the huge role they’ve been forced to give him. And their defense is worse than Iowa’s.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Jacobson has had some serious recruiting misses also. That happens at that level. You can hit gold but sometimes you don't hit crap. I don't think the kid coming in from Osky is that good either. Obviously Jacobsen is a better talent evaluator than I am but he didn't impress me when I saw him play.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
UNI is struggling, I would have thought ,with Creighton and Wichita St leaving they were the natural team to fill that void at the top. It'll be interesting to see how DeVries at Drake impacts UNI and honestly Iowa. He has strong recruiting ties in the state, Creighton's program was built on a the backs of a lot of Iowa kids, they ended up at Creighton because of him.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I’ve tried to watch a little of their games whenever I get bored and I’m not impressed with AJ Green. Seems like he just chucks up threes and hope they go in. Maybe its because he’s forced into a role that isn’t natural and has no other help, but I’m sure glad we got the 4 freshman we did. He definitely wouldn’t be getting much, if any, PT here if he chose to attend ISU.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
UNI is struggling, I would have thought ,with Creighton and Wichita St leaving they were the natural team to fill that void at the top. It'll be interesting to see how DeVries at Drake impacts UNI and honestly Iowa. He has strong recruiting ties in the state, Creighton's program was built on a the backs of a lot of Iowa kids, they ended up at Creighton because of him.
I like DeVries a lot. It was an A+ hire for Drake.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Iowa's recruits since 2014

Dickerson - transferred to North Dakota
Uhl - barely played. Would have been better transferring
Ellingson - transferred down
Baer - UNI level player

Hutton - transferred to NW St.
Moss - ok though had a rough start.
Fleming - transferred to Lipscomb
Wagner - plays football
Jones - injured, then did nothing
C. Williams - transferred

Cook - still don't know how Iowa pulled that out. Good player
Pemsl - Heard Iowa wanted him to transfer but he stayed because he's a hawk fan? Should be at UNI
Bohannon - ok. I think with a different coach at Iowa he doesn't end up there. Should be at UNI
Kriener - UNI level
Dailey - should be at a mid major

Garza - better than I expected. Belongs in D1
McCaffrey - don't think he'd be a p5 player if not for his father. Better at baseball.
Nunge - redshirting? Mid-major player

Weiskamp - will be decent. D1 player
Frederick - had some D1 offers. Too early to judge though he'll probably be a mid major player

Lots of players not bolded that would be decent at UNI/drake level than playing in a power 5 conference .

Iowa State 14 and 15 classes look pretty similar to Iowa's 14 and 15 classes with lots of misses. That is why ISU struggled last year a lot. The last 2 classes produced Wigginton, THT, Haliburton, and Conditt (kinda early on him but I think he'll turn out good). The only ones debatable are Lewis and Griffin (more to PT for Griffin)

Last edited:
Reactions: CyDude16

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Basketball moves fast. Kids don’t want to go to Cedar Falls to get ground up sitting and playing defense for 35 seconds with getting nothing out of it except a super slow ball control offense on the other end.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Well a lot of people are wanting Farley to go away in football. Not sure who they would get if he wasn’t there.

Basketball just as other have said but also not having Fife hurts because they don’t really have any good size like they have had in the past.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I once scoffed at the idea their basketball program struggles because Iowa steals their players but I think it's 100 percent true. I'd venture to guess out of Kreiner, JBo, Pemsl, Till and dailey at least 2-3 of them would wind up at UNI.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
His supporting cast is awful

Do you think he would be playing much now considering the five guards we have?

Would he be ahead of Talley? Would he have been ahead of Lewis or Griffin to start the season when we were down so much to injury and suspension?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Do you think he would be playing much now considering the five guards we have?

Would he be ahead of Talley? Would he have been ahead of Lewis or Griffin to start the season when we were down so much to injury and suspension?

If we had him we wouldn't have Haliburton but even with Haliburton yeah he'd play for sure. He's pretty good and there's a reason his dad had a lot of opportunities to go to a bigger school including ISU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If we had him we wouldn't have Haliburton but even with Haliburton yeah he'd play for sure. He's pretty good and there's a reason his dad had a lot of opportunities to go to a bigger school including ISU

I thought the speculation after Berry left is that we would bring Green in as an assistant, make AJ a walk-on for a season, then give him a scholarship the next year. It was not like they could not afford in-state tuition for a year (or give his dad a "signing bonus" of an equal amount), and I did not think they wanted to run anybody else off their scholarship.

The "obvious" one to do that to in August would have been Haliburton for them both playing the same position, and I think we see how disastrous that would have been considering Haliburturon is one of the best freshmen of the past decade. Interesting that you think he would be playing, though. He must be really good if he could find playing time in backcourt right considering how great our five guards/wings are playing so far this season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron