What happened to Martin Brothers Basketball

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Exactly. No need to be cryptic, just state the reason since it's reasonable for a kid to want to finish his baseball season.
I mean, his dad was a customer, right? Why would you want to burn that bridge when AAU is so word to mouth with parents?

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm with Tex and Curt on this one nowadays "personal reasons" has negative reactions attached to it. Dropping the kid because he wants to play BB with his HS isn't one, they could have worded it differently.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
no kidding. Why the F@@@ would they put "personal reasons"??? Makes it sound like he's in rehab or something. Just be honest and say that he's playing baseball this summer.
To be blunt, reads like something you'd post about Nick Noskowiak.

• Winner

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Cool. And that's your opinion.

The responses don't look like they're going over well, and there's got to be a reason why someone is calling the head coach "Plantation Hank" for a reason.

Well, and Kaylon Williams agreed with it who came from the program and I think played at some mid-major programs. Either way, there was a classy way to state this and an obviously trashy way to state this and he chose the trashy way.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Love when I talk to kids who are members of AAU/club programs because they get them to the next level, then you visit “alumni” pages and you see they are churning out a ton of kids to St Mary’s School for the Blind.

Sorry, unless you are a D1 prospect, AAU/club is just an organization to throw money for your kid to play a sport and you to believe it’s the only shot your kid has at playing at the “next level” when in reality all it takes is going to any non-D1 school and filling out the”recruit me form” - saves a ton of money and weekends in the long run. Your kid may not end up as talented but they’re playing at a D2 level or worse for a reason.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Love when I talk to kids who are members of AAU/club programs because they get them to the next level, then you visit “alumni” pages and you see they are churning out a ton of kids to St Mary’s School for the Blind.

Sorry, unless you are a D1 prospect, AAU/club is just an organization to throw money for your kid to play a sport and you to believe it’s the only shot your kid has at playing at the “next level” when in reality all it takes is going to any non-D1 school and filling out the”recruit me form” - saves a ton of money and weekends in the long run. Your kid may not end up as talented but they’re playing at a D2 level or worse for a reason.
Agreed. So many kids I know at the local high school play AAU all year round and the best one is going to Upper Iowa. Seems like a massive waste of runt and money

Reactions: 06_CY and CapnCy

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My 1 daughter runs track( well I guess it is a club Iowa Flyers) so yes I do get into club sports dammit. Otherwise the kids can play soccer through the City of Ames. Nuts to aau and all that travel ball schit. My BIL daughters played softball all over the country, I bet he spent half a mil between the two. Now the both played D1 softball but piss on that amount of money.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

We had a family in the district that I teach in, they open enrolled their two oldest into our district, and took the two girls up to Ankeny for years playing AAU basketball, 80 miles each way for years. They traveled all over the Midwest going to tournaments for years, once the girls got old enough to drive they drove it themselves through out high school. I am sure their two younger kids still do it.
Thousands of dollars spent, and what did they get out of it, the oldest daughter last time I heard was playing at Grandview, the middle daughter will not get a scholarship, everyone I talked too says the younger two kids a boy and girl are the best athletes, so maybe one of them will, but its a lot of time and money spent really for nothing.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Just a thought to ponder….

There might be some kids that play AAU ball for programs that don’t cost nearly as much as the top tier programs and have really no plans to play college basketball. Could be that it’s a really fun experience to travel around the country with a group of guys they really enjoy hanging out with and playing a game that’s a lot of fun. They might say the memories are pretty awesome and they’d do it again.

Is there awful components of AAU. Absolutely. Throwing every program out because they aren’t churning out D1 players is ignorant of why a lot of the kids are there.

Speaking of which anyone know what Martin Brothers charges a kid?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Why even tweet that? If a coach really wanted to know why he wasn't on the team anymore couldn't he have just called the coach?
Dude, in the AAU world, word travels fast. You most likely wouldn't need to even call a coach.

• Winner

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017

I’ll disagree- my son had three DII offers and chose a school that was full ride, $40,000 per year for 4 years. Free education, chance to play a sport he loved, and a ton of great memories from the AAU years. Now, he put a ton of work in- he is a gym rat- but he would have never had that opportunity without his AAU program (not Martin Bros or Barnstormers). He also understood those were the bulk of his vacation trips for 3 years of HS- but Vegas, Dallas, KC, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, etc with guys he still stays in touch with was what he wanted. Played WITH and competed AGAINST guys you watch on tv every night- NBA and DI. School he signed with is in one of the two best DII leagues in the country- former DI guys throughout the league. So the less than $12,000 we spent in three years were a value considering a $160,000 scholly that came from it.

Granted, some AAU programs are a money grab- his program only had one team per age level so that was not the case for us. When you see three and four teams per level, that’s what you get. And there are plenty of parents who live the false dream of scholarships. But to blanket all kids who aren’t at the DI level as wasting their $$ is inaccurate- there are a lot of kids that fall in a category of some DI interest, DII offers, and high level DIII (Platteville’s, Augustana’s)- for every Tyrese Hunter that is a Top 100 kid, there are 8-10 kids that could land in any one of those levels.

BTW, Martin Bros does not charge kids a penny- no fee, no hotel costs, team takes a bus to all tournaments- only cost is their food/spending money. That is the exception rather than the rule among AAU programs but it is a fact.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
It’s hard to believe that any AAU program would tweet something like this. They all focus on $ over kids so putting this out there potentially hurts their future revenue.
Had to be a pretty big fallout for them to go this extreme as most AAU posts only involve trophies highlighting their success in an attempt to lure in more kids/parents and their checkbook.