What do you think of our New Guys

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I think I would like to see Solomon post up more and Long take more shots.
Ya, he hit a 3 last night which was encouraging. Weird looking shot, it's like his release is on the way down but seems to work for him.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Things are so disjointed that it's really, really hard to tell.

Wigginton: Clearly has ability and can get by guys on the bounce.
Talley: Seems to have a really nice game. Better driving for a shot that shooting from 3
Lewis: Very long. Still learning, but gives good effort
Long: Impressed with him and want to see him more. Big, strong and quick. Has a nice outside shot. I think he lost focus on a simple pass and then fouled, which was the last time we saw him last night.
Beverly: Works hard, mixes it up. Not terribly athletic, but seemed like one of the guys that was doing what was needed last night.

Not really judging on defense, as it's always hard for me to tell who got lost on any given play.
Beverly isn't athletic at all compared to D1 athletes but maybe he can bring some good work ethic, attitude and sense of calm to the young guys.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
I liked Long's effort on D. The best description of his shot I've seen is that he looks like when you hold the shoot button too long on NBA2k. He did make one, though.

Everybody needs to just hang on the damn ball, not try anything fancy, and make crisp passes. We lost last night because of turnovers and quick shots.

....and too much dribbling, need ball movement. When you don't have guys that can create their own shot guys gotta stop focusing on getting their shot and move that ball and open things up for other guys

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I do not see anything in Talley that remotely makes me think of Hogue type impact.

Wait for the karate kick to happen. Then you will see.
cropped_hogue-kick.gif

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Probably should ask "what do you think of the old guys" as well. The new guys will struggle for a bit, but the veterans need to take the lead.

- DJ has been disappointing and has not been able to create shots. 4 for 20 shooting, 0 assists, no FT even attempted in 45 minutes of BB so far (not counting Emporia State).
- NWB has played one good half of basketball at the level we need. Does not seem to want to take the lead.
- SY has not taken a step forward in level of play compared to last year. Might even have taken a step back.
- JL is just a role player.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
You mean when he was dealing with a shoulder injury that required surgery in the offseason? And was behind 3 guards who are all playing professionally and a JUCO transfer that was a highly rated recruit? Hmm...wonder why he didn't contribute last year.
So why didn't he redshirt?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I do not see anything in Talley that remotely makes me think of Hogue type impact.
Like I said, to be optimistic you have to picture them surrounded by the players that the compared player was supported by.

Not remotely close? That’s false. Talley would look a lot better next to Kane, Morris, Ejim, and Georges. He’s not a go-to guy, but he would finish a lot of plays created by others, get fast break points, put backs, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Like I said, to be optimistic you have to picture them surrounded by the players that the compared player was supported by.

Not remotely close? That’s false. Talley would look a lot better next to Kane, Morris, Ejim, and Georges. He’s not a go-to guy, but he would finish a lot of plays created by others, get fast break points, put backs, etc.

This I agree with. Right now, I'm not sure how you could possibly tell the exact abilities or possibilities of each player, as the group as a whole is not yet functional.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think Steve Prohm has his work cut out for him. I suspected they might struggle in the noncon, but not to the extent of an 18 point loss to UW-Milwaukee at home. I guess **** me for being too optimistic but it's clear now that this has the potential to be a very trying season, at least in the first half. What I see is a lot of guys being asked to do more than they're comfortable doing, and it's chipping away at their confidence. No choice but to grow up and grow into these new roles quickly, or be prepared for losing and a lot of it. Getting Brase and Lard on the floor will help some but improvement is needed all the way around.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This I agree with. Right now, I'm not sure how you could possibly tell the exact abilities or possibilities of each player, as the group as a whole is not yet functional.
We are undoubtedly on the wrong end of a synergy effect right now. D1 guys that have played basketball for 12 years couldn’t catch a basic pass last night- a clear symptom of that.

The good news is that another offseason of development and adding just one great player could change everyone’s performance significantly, resulting in a positive impact far greater than the individual added talent. That’s also the most incriminating thing to Prohm. Not a lot was needed to make this rebuild a lot better than getting smoked at home to UWM, and he failed big time.

• Useful
Reactions: VeloClone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We are undoubtedly on the wrong end of a synergy effect right now. D1 guys that have played basketball for 12 years couldn’t catch a basic pass last night- a clear symptom of that.

The good news is that another offseason of development and adding just one great player could change everyone’s performance significantly, resulting in a positive impact far greater than the individual added talent. That’s also the most incriminating thing to Prohm. Not a lot was needed to make this rebuild a lot better than getting smoked at home to UWM, and he failed big time.

Ah, we diverge again. Two games in. Two games. TWO GAMES. :rolleyes: