What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Except she will earn 10 times the $’s playing college ball another year…it would take 5 years of WNBA to match that.

And even if she can get some good national sponsorship deals as a WNBA player, right now the womens college basketball platform is larger than the WNBA one. College basketball gets the ratings. The best thing for her is spending more time in college, and building up her personal brand as much as possible while on the biggest possible platform. Whatever sponsorship deals she can get in the WNBA will probably be larger the longer she spends in college.

Reactions: tavrncy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does anyone see the Cyclones beating the Hawks in WBB anytime soon? I don’t. Regardless of recruiting rankings, what are the odds of a Bill retaining this latest class all four years based on recent events?
If Clark leaves after next year, we will have a very good class in their second year and Iowa will have a couple Covid year players leaving that year also. We will have a shot then on

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It was. But imagine an alternate universe where Staley had a clue and attempted to adjust to what Iowa was doing. If she had, I'm not sure it would have been close enough for those two critical rebounds to matter.
CC was 5 of 17 of 3s, nothing that great. She would drive and their center would literally run away from her and give her the lane. They guarded their other players very tight and didn’t have one of their taller girls pull down and rim protect. If they let their other girls shoot 3s at their 40-50% clip it’s better than 100% of layups. Made 0 sense their defense.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So, where is Gary Barta at during all of this? Getting his teeth fixed? Getting his retirement plans in order? Preparing to lose another lawsuit?

Kinda funny through all the success of the Iowa women’s team and I have yet to even hear his named mentioned in any type of media. Hmmmm……
He was backstage.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Whew! I'm not sure I could have handled Chris Hassel's FAU along with Clark & Mulkey in the championship games.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Right, but the point is still the same — the fanbases get jacked up for football and MBB. I think most ISU fans will never root for the Hawks in those 2 sports but will root for their WBB team or don’t care what they do.

I'm only disagreeing because the ISU fans I know have been wanting them to lose since the opening round of the tourney.

Reactions: clonebb

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
I’ve really come around on CC. Her passing is excellent, quick and sharp. Last night when her 3’s weren’t falling, she assisted and went to the basket. I saw her interviewed after her triple double and she said she nearly had a quadruple double because she also had nine turnovers. I liked the self deprecation. I recently saw a poem written about her that made me think of the hard work she has put in and the way she must appear to young girls. I’ve be come a fan, I guess (of her, not the hawks!).

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
And even if she can get some good national sponsorship deals as a WNBA player, right now the womens college basketball platform is larger than the WNBA one. College basketball gets the ratings. The best thing for her is spending more time in college, and building up her personal brand as much as possible while on the biggest possible platform. Whatever sponsorship deals she can get in the WNBA will probably be larger the longer she spends in college.
Staying an extra year and building her brand up even further will also help advance the WNBA when she does eventually turn pro, and I think that's a big reason why she'll eventually decide to stay for that fifth year. While she does an outstanding job of handling all of the attention she's getting and constantly lifting up her teammates in interviews, she still knows she's *that* good and she realizes the impact she's having on the sport, and seems to feel a sense of responsibility to leverage that star power while it burns at its brightest.

Reactions: tavrncy

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Staying an extra year and building her brand up even further will also help advance the WNBA when she does eventually turn pro, and I think that's a big reason why she'll eventually decide to stay for that fifth year. While she does an outstanding job of handling all of the attention she's getting and constantly lifting up her teammates in interviews, she still knows she's *that* good and she realizes the impact she's having on the sport, and seems to feel a sense of responsibility to leverage that star power while it burns at its brightest.

I see the canonization has already begun.

EDIT: Dumb it all you want tavernhawk. Caitlin is a remarkable player, but she is not some altruistic matron saint of women's college basketball like some are suggesting. She will do what makes her the most money, and I don't have any problem with that. But imbuing her with some holy sense of responsibility for the good of the game is tripe.

Last edited:

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
All I think is Kim Mulkey better not just be "in the know" tonight, she better be on the freaking warpath and beat Iowa by 30 so I don't have to listen to that miserable fan base all week.

I'll completely disagree. I'm far from a Hawkeye fan, but there's very few people I dislike more than Kim Mulkey. She's easily the most dislikable person in all of sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.