What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
She’s special, I mean really, really special. If she only has a great game, say 25 and 5, the Hawks get blown out by 20. But she had another epic game and her team won. Tip your cap.

Besides, if the Clones beat the Hawks in football and men’s basketball then who really cares how well the Iowa women’s team does? Same with wrestling.
Uh, you may want to geo back and check that score.

Reactions: tavrncy

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
She's upping her NIL value drastically.
She's going to have some absurd leverage if she seriously considers coming back for her COVID year. Like "Nike will give her a signature shoe if she comes back" level leverage. She'll get one eventually, anyway, but right now, it'd be much better for Nike to ink a deal like that while she's in school.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is women’s basketball. While entertaining to watch every now and again, it doesn’t move any sort of “needle” within the athletic department. Half the fans will forget the team exists by August.
The operator of a Cedar Rapids sports bar told me that they had standing room only for the Iowa women’s Sweet 16 game which hadn’t happened for any other sporting event ever. This place has been open since the 90s. Now, I understand we are at a point on the calendar where people don’t have much to do and that game was played on an early Friday evening, but this isn’t like Iowa wrestling. Only half the people will forget if Caitlin Clark isn’t there come August, but she still will be for at least one more year.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
It came down to playing for Bill vs Lisa. Not a hard decision unfortunately for us
Does anyone see the Cyclones beating the Hawks in WBB anytime soon? I don’t. Regardless of recruiting rankings, what are the odds of a Bill retaining this latest class all four years based on recent events?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Watching greatness is cool. I've paused to wonder if CC played for a random West Coast school how soon it'd take for me to start watching (as especially lately she's went to EVERYONE talking about her....but Iowans have know for a couple years).

My annoyance is more of a social media annoyance we see. Similar to people attaching to tragedy (you know, a tragedy happens randomly somewhere and someone posts "oh my....we drove near there on our vacation 10 years ago" or "my roommates uncle used to work at that business")

I'm seeing the same now from folks who never posted about women's bball....ISU or other....now making sure their social circles know they live in Iowa. As comedian Anthony Jeselnik would say "don't forget about me today"

Reactions: CybertGil

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Clark is a good player... but she's jacking 30+ shots per game. There's lots of players that can score high numbers shooting that many attempts per game. Fyi... she shot 31 attempts last night.

They beat the #1 team in the country. No other team could have beaten South Carolina with one player jacking up 31 shots. Clark is much more than a volume shooter.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
She's going to have some absurd leverage if she seriously considers coming back for her COVID year. Like "Nike will give her a signature shoe if she comes back" level leverage. She'll get one eventually, anyway, but right now, it'd be much better for Nike to ink a deal like that while she's in school.

Wondering if she’s better off staying in college at this point with NIL as WNBA does pay well (do they?)?

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
This is changing rapidly

Clark is a good player... but she's jacking 30+ shots per game. There's lots of players that can score high numbers shooting that many attempts per game. Fyi... she shot 31 attempts last night.
yeah it sucks she plays for the Hoks but you are in serious denial if you think her game is just about taking a bunch of shots.Iowa women's basketball is way way more popular than Iowa mens basketball. Its pretty remarkable if you think about it.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

She does that while demanding defenses attention and makes everyone around her better because of it.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames

They beat the #1 team in the country. No other team could have beaten South Carolina with one player jacking up 31 shots. Clark is much more than a volume shooter.
Exactly Cycsk. She was involved in 75% of the team scoring last night. That is insane. And she basically does this night in and night out. Plus rebounds at a decent clip. The only criticism anyone can really have about her play is she takes some strange risks at times passing that leads to some high turnover numbers. But if you watch a team like Golden State for instance that has a high powered offense...so do they.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Duly noted. The number one team in the country also was 4-20 from beyond the arc. That's the ball game right there. The ISU men's team can relate to those numbers.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Exactly Cycsk. She was involved in 75% of the team scoring last night. That is insane. And she basically does this night in and night out. Plus rebounds at a decent clip. The only criticism anyone can really have about her play is she takes some strange risks at times passing that leads to some high turnover numbers. But if you watch a team like Golden State for instance that has a high powered offense...so do they.
She literally just won the player of the year in women’s college basketball. Not sure how just a good player wins that award.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I mean, this is certainly noteworthy, regardless of whether you’re a fan of hers or not.

And her assist numbers also show she’s way more than just a scorer jacking up 30+ shots per game. She’s an outstanding passer with great court vision - those little dish passes to Czinano are almost unstoppable when the defenses are focusing on Clark.

(And I say this as someone who doesn’t have much love for things Hawkeye - I used to scoff at Caitlin’s chicken-winging her way to the basket and I was rooting for her last-second shot vs. Indiana to miss - but there’s no denying her talent and her national impact on the game right now.)

Last edited:

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I mean, this is certainly noteworthy, regardless of whether you’re a fan of hers or not.

And her assist numbers also show she’s way more than just a scorer jacking up 30+ shots per game. She’s an outstanding passer with great court vision - those little dish passes to Czinano are almost unstoppable when the defenses are focusing on Clark.

Not sure how to quote and embed tweets in posts but I liked this one…

WTF Stats

@WTFstats

Replying to
@ESPNStatsInfo
Caitlin Clark has scored more points in postseason play (235) than lowa Football scored all season (230).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Duly noted. The number one team in the country also was 4-20 from beyond the arc. That's the ball game right there. The ISU men's team can relate to those numbers.

South Carolina's best offense was their missed jump shots because of their prowess with offensive rebounding. No one stat tells the whole story, except 77-73.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
South Carolina's best offense was their missed jump shots because of their prowess with offensive rebounding. No one stat tells the whole story, except 77-73.

I’m not going to lie to you, the game plan that the iowa coaching staff came up with and executed in that game was absolutely beautiful. Defense they packed it in and made them take jump shots. Offense they ran really nice ISOs and Pick and rolls for Clark with shooters placed perfectly to spread the floor.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So, where is Gary Barta at during all of this? Getting his teeth fixed? Getting his retirement plans in order? Preparing to lose another lawsuit?

Kinda funny through all the success of the Iowa women’s team and I have yet to even hear his named mentioned in any type of media. Hmmmm……

Status
Not open for further replies.