What do you think Mangino will do on offense?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I seriously hope you're wrong about this.

I said all season long last year, and all off season this year, that we need to take a LOT more shots down the field. And now with Montgomery and Lazard coming in, to add with Bundrage, I feel like we probably can't take too many shots down the field.

For the life of me I cannot understand what is so risky about throwing really deep several times each half? For one, it keeps the defense honest. It loosens them up that at least the threat is there, and that opens up the running game and the underneath short passing game as well.

And probably 9 times out of 10 it is either caught by the offensive guy or it is an incomplete pass. And if it is intercepted, it's the equivalent of a punt basically. So the risk factor is extremely low IMO.

If Mangino doesn't utilize the likes of Bundrage, Montgomery, Lazard, Daley, PJ Harris, etc on lots of deep balls, then I guess I'll sit back and watch us win 2-3 games again while averaging 21 pts a game again.

Fairly certain that Mangino knows more about running an offense, including play-calling, than you or me or anyone on here. So don't pretend like you have some secret to winning that he doesn't know.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I seriously hope you're wrong about this.

I said all season long last year, and all off season this year, that we need to take a LOT more shots down the field. And now with Montgomery and Lazard coming in, to add with Bundrage, I feel like we probably can't take too many shots down the field.

For the life of me I cannot understand what is so risky about throwing really deep several times each half? For one, it keeps the defense honest. It loosens them up that at least the threat is there, and that opens up the running game and the underneath short passing game as well.

And probably 9 times out of 10 it is either caught by the offensive guy or it is an incomplete pass. And if it is intercepted, it's the equivalent of a punt basically. So the risk factor is extremely low IMO.

If Mangino doesn't utilize the likes of Bundrage, Montgomery, Lazard, Daley, PJ Harris, etc on lots of deep balls, then I guess I'll sit back and watch us win 2-3 games again while averaging 21 pts a game again.

What the hell did we need Mangino then, we had an offensive genius right on this site. He has a track record, and he has forgotten more than you know.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I haven't read through all of the responses to this thread, but my guess is Mangino lines up at fullback for a sweet "Refrigerator" Perry style running attack.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
As a man who was a student when Jim Walden implemented the triple option at ISU, I frown upon this sentiment.

You poor soul having been subjected to the same mediocre wishbone er broken bone according to jimmie don walden I can sure empathize with you....

No body should have to watch jimmie don walden try to win games with a broken bone- broken offense....Just for the record I saw every game walden coached in JTS.......

I was very happy to see Dan McCarney arrive from Wisconsin and to renew my season tickets that I had since 1975....

Go Cyclones Beat theee bisons

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
And we have not scored a TD at home in when the temps are below 60 on a Thursday night...Neat stat for those that enjoy piling on, but largely inconsequential.

However it happens, we need to increase our points per possession. Hopefully a little more success on keeping drives alive will increase both our scoring numbers and reduce the possessions in the game. I'd strongly consider going for it the majority of the time on 4th down if we are outside of the 23-25 yard-line.

Totally different, he had a good point and wasn't piling on, that's just a totally depressing stat.

To actually come out and have a plan and execute it, going down the field for a TD sets the tone for the rest of the game. Gets the offense a little confidence, gets the D a little confidence that they don't have to win the game, the O can pull their weight against this opponent, that's huge.

To me, that kind of sums up Messingham as a OC in a nutshell. He "gameplanned" all week for those opponents and if he's like most coaches, ran a set of scripted plays on the first drive. To not score a single TD vs anybody is not good. Not only did we not score but we pretty much just walked out there and took a dump.. For players, other coaches, and even fans, when that happens it's pretty much "here we go again..."

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What the hell did we need Mangino then, we had an offensive genius right on this site. He has a track record, and he has forgotten more than you know.

It doesn't take a genius to know that our "spread" offense was not a "spread" offense at all last year. Spread offenses force the defense to cover the ENTIRE field. Defenses against us last year put 9 guys in the box all game long and destroyed our running game and our QB. We basically NEVER made any defense pay last year for putting 8 or 9 guys in the box against us.

So if Mangino wants to come in here and run the ball and only throw short screen passes and slants all day long and attempt to move the ball in really slow chunks down the field in time consuming drives..... good luck with that. The defenses will just load the box and we'll have even more 3 and outs once again this year.

If you believe you have a lot of talented WRs, which I do believe we do, then you let them show their skills and throw the ball up to them and let them go get it IMO. Don't let the defense put everyone within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage and beat you up.

So go ahead and rip me a new one... that's your right to do. I don't really care. I'm just voicing my opinion. ISU would be VERY easy to defend IMO if we continue to only run the ball and use the short passing game.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
One thing I forgot to add is a true Air Raid system will actually keep a receiver in his designated assignment for his entire season/career.

Bundrage is our X receiver, and in Leach's Air Raid the X receiver typically stuck to on e side of the field. Why? Because Leach believed if you taught a guy he only had to run routes from one direction then he could spend more time perfecting the routes and working on fundamentals.

I'm not sure if Mangino adheres to this philosophy, but if he did don't be surprised to see a guy like Bundrage have an even bigger season than last year due to the efficiencies he'll gain from running one set of routes.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Id like to see the same formation everytime with many different plays/routes ran out of that.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
It doesn't take a genius to know that our "spread" offense was not a "spread" offense at all last year. Spread offenses force the defense to cover the ENTIRE field. Defenses against us last year put 9 guys in the box all game long and destroyed our running game and our QB. We basically NEVER made any defense pay last year for putting 8 or 9 guys in the box against us.

So if Mangino wants to come in here and run the ball and only throw short screen passes and slants all day long and attempt to move the ball in really slow chunks down the field in time consuming drives..... good luck with that. The defenses will just load the box and we'll have even more 3 and outs once again this year.

If you believe you have a lot of talented WRs, which I do believe we do, then you let them show their skills and throw the ball up to them and let them go get it IMO. Don't let the defense put everyone within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage and beat you up.

So go ahead and rip me a new one... that's your right to do. I don't really care. I'm just voicing my opinion. ISU would be VERY easy to defend IMO if we continue to only run the ball and use the short passing game.

First, we don't even know what Mangino will call so settle down, Sparky. Second, we don't know how well the players will execute it. And third, you actually have no flippin' idea how often we called a passing play greater than 15 yards last year. Unless you were in the huddle, charted the distance of every receiver's routes on every passing play, or were in practice when the QBs were learning their primary read, secondary read, etc then you are working off your perception. So quit pretending that you know more than you do.

What makes you think you have some secret knowledge about how to win in football that these coaches don't have? Mangino coached in the B12 for nearly 20 years. He was a head coach for 7 of them. He went 3-1 in bowl games at freaking Kansas, including a BCS win. He was the 2007 AP Head Coach of the Year AND won the award for Assistant Coach of the Year while the OC at Oklahoma in 2000. He knows more than you. Whatever he decides to do or not do, he will have a reason for it based on his vast experience as well as knowledge of schemes, personnel, and opponent tendencies. None of which you have (hate to break that to you).

So stop.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
First, we don't even know what Mangino will call so settle down, Sparky. Second, we don't know how well the players will execute it. And third, you actually have no flippin' idea how often we called a passing play greater than 15 yards last year. Unless you were in the huddle, charted the distance of every receiver's routes on every passing play, or were in practice when the QBs were learning their primary read, secondary read, etc then you are working off your perception. So quit pretending that you know more than you do.

What makes you think you have some secret knowledge about how to win in football that these coaches don't have? Mangino coached in the B12 for nearly 20 years. He was a head coach for 7 of them. He went 3-1 in bowl games at freaking Kansas, including a BCS win. He was the 2007 AP Head Coach of the Year AND won the award for Assistant Coach of the Year while the OC at Oklahoma in 2000. He knows more than you. Whatever he decides to do or not do, he will have a reason for it based on his vast experience as well as knowledge of schemes, personnel, and opponent tendencies. None of which you have (hate to break that to you).

So stop.
But this is the internet, we're obviously all more qualified than the actual coaches and would do better jobs

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I check into CF, open this thread, it's Friday, and people are arguing with clonedude. What the heck?

Mangino will be fine, whatever he chooses to do. It's really doubtful we have as huge as rash of injuries as we had on offense last year. And he knows what he's doing.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

So stop.

Sorry that you are the one to be singled out, but this type of response is the most annoying and deflating for me.

The guy actually made valid points, and no I'm not going to have a better resume than Mangino, which you seem to be throwing around as your own (for reasons beyond me) to inflate your own opinion, about why some poor guy that was offering his opinion for nothing more than discussion, is a total idiot for showing his face. (Yes, that was a huge run on sentence.)

I like to encourage discussion, and these type of responses completely discourage people's ability to converse and more importantly LEARN about football. There are people on here who have coached, or do currently coach. There are also people on here who played football into their college years, or have been around it their whole lives.

So let's please stop belittling people for having a discussion. Especially a hypothetical one that bares no merit on you because everyone uses anonymous user names...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Everybody in JTS said this all last year. :twitcy:

I know they did. And they were dead on correct. As I said, it doesn't take a flippin' genius to know that opposing defenses completely stacked the box against us, yet Mess did nothing to make them pay for it.

But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm just some stupid fan. Everyone in the stadium knows we don't throw deep enough, but I'm the only stupid one. Got it.

All I know is that last year we rarely ever saw our QB just throw it up deep and allow one of our WRs to make a play on it. We worry WAY too much about turnovers IMO. I understand you can't have stupid turnovers, especially on your own end of the field, but I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about, on let's say 2nd and 4 from your own 40 yd line, just throw one up down the sideline really deep to Bundrage, Montgomery, Lazard, Daley, whoever... and let them make a play on it. We did that probably 4 times a game with Todd Blythe back in the day, and look how that worked out. Pretty darn well.

That game we won at Texas A&M back in the day where Blythe had 4 TD catches, and most of them were deep balls, and we smoked them. Remember that? That could have NEVER happened if Mess would have been our OC. He would have thrown WR bubble screens to Blythe all day for 2 yd gains.

Watch Baylor play. They throw deep more often than any team I've seen. I don't think we can do it as often as they do, but we can surely do it once in a while to loosen up the defense if nothing else.

I'm going to go watch some highlights of Mangino's KU teams tonight and see if he aired it out deep much. I hope he did. If I remember correctly, I think he did with Reesing at QB and Briscoe I believe it was at WR, but I will check it out.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sorry that you are the one to be singled out, but this type of response is the most annoying and deflating for me.

The guy actually made valid points, and no I'm not going to have a better resume than Mangino, which you seem to be throwing around as your own (for reasons beyond me) to inflate your own opinion, about why some poor guy that was offering his opinion for nothing more than discussion, is a total idiot for showing his face. (Yes, that was a huge run on sentence.)

I like to encourage discussion, and these type of responses completely discourage people's ability to converse and more importantly LEARN about football. There are people on here who have coached, or do currently coach. There are also people on here who played football into their college years, or have been around it their whole lives.

So let's please stop belittling people for having a discussion. Especially a hypothetical one that bares no merit on you because everyone uses anonymous user names...

Great post! Thanks.

If only people that had offensive coordinator and head coaching resumes like Mangino were allowed to post on here, this place wouldn't exist because there would be no posts at all.

I don't claim to know everything, and I will trust whatever Mangino decides to do. But what good is a fan website for discussion purposes if we're not allowed to discuss anything?

If someone wants to just explain to me why throwing deep once in a while is a bad thing, then have at it. I welcome that. I want to know these things. But just saying.... "Shut up clonedude, you're an idiot. Don't question anything at all that we do athletically at ISU. How dare you!".... doesn't do anything to further the discussion IMO.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Great post! Thanks.

If only people that had offensive coordinator and head coaching resumes like Mangino were allowed to post on here, this place wouldn't exist because there would be no posts at all.

I don't claim to know everything, and I will trust whatever Mangino decides to do. But what good is a fan website for discussion purposes if we're not allowed to discuss anything?

If someone wants to just explain to me why throwing deep once in a while is a bad thing, then have at it. I welcome that. I want to know these things. But just saying.... "Shut up clonedude, you're an idiot. Don't question anything at all that we do athletically at ISU. How dare you!".... doesn't do anything to further the discussion IMO.

What are you talking about? Didn't you read Section 136's highly qualified opinion that the ISU offense is going to be terrible and that Mangino is clueless because he has not been coaching at a Big 6 conference school? Now that guy is an idiot.

The truth is that the offense will be better simply because there is a qualified OC on the staff, and there will be less inner fighting between coaches and players, and hopefully a lot less injuries. There should not be a deer in the headlights reaction by the OC to every 3rd down in 2014.

As far as throwing the ball down field, it absolutely did not happen often enough last year. The OL will need to do a better job of pass protection and a few of the passes are going to actually have to be caught before teams will back out of the 9 man fronts. The TE over the middle is a good way to back up the LBers, and that will happen a lot this year too. Bibbs in a stud.