What do you think is the greatest moment in ISU sports history?

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
The question is greatest moment, not best ending to a season / career. I don't know how anyone can vote against the end of the OKST game. The buildup to the end, ramming it home, the radio call, pandemonium. Nothing compares.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
That's a great feat but can in no way draw in the collective emotion of the OK St game.

The thread title doesn't indicate that collective emotion has anything to do with...anything. As an accomplishment from the perspective of ISU history Cael will go down as more important and far more accomplished than the 2011 Football Cyclones.

So beating Miami of Ohio 17-13 in the Independence Bowl, or beating Minnesota 14-13 in the Insight Bowl was a bigger deal than OSU Game?

Posts like this are why hawk fans laugh at us. As a singular moment it was awesome (I was there) but to say it's better than the first Insight Bowl is kinda sad. What did the 2011 Cyclones do...really?

I'd say objectively the 2011 oSu game has been no greater than the 1992 Nebraska game.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The question is greatest moment, not best ending to a season / career. I don't know how anyone can vote against the end of the OKST game. The buildup to the end, ramming it home, the radio call, pandemonium. Nothing compares.

Good points...but in 1992 Tommy Frazier lost his only conference game. Ever. To the Cyclones in Ames.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
basketball 2014 big 12 championship?
football osu game 2011
wrestling cael sanderson going 159-0

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
basketball 2014 big 12 championship?
football osu game 2011
wrestling cael sanderson going 159-0

I dunno BDK...the 2000 Championship team was so bad ***. Fizer & Tinsley just crushed it. 2014 was good because they fought for it but 2000 was good because they kicked *** for it.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The Okie State game by itself was amazing, but to be the greatest moment of all time I think it would have needed to lead to something more. If we could look back at it now and see that as the springboard to getting the football program to new heights, that would help the case a lot. Now granted, it did basically kill the BCS, so it has some added significance there, but that doesn't really change much for ISU.

I think the case could actually be made that the invasion of KC for the Big 12 title this year followed by the Sweet 16 run could end up being right up there. I know there were the what ifs with Niang's foot, but with the way the current trajectory of the program looks I think we could look back at that run years from now and recognize it as the point where the bball program took the next step to a level it has never been at before.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Granted it's a loss. But the Elite 8 game in '00 against MSU has to be up there.

Haven't been there since. Really hadn't been that far before - at least in the modern era. Add two conference championships to the mix. And we get a fortunate call in the MSU game and nearly a sure-win for the national title.

Probably our best team ever

I'd love to see that team and this year's team in one of those time machine games. Wow - what a matchup.

Fizer would destroy everyone on the court, nobody could stay in front of Tinsley and Nurse probably would be the best shooter on the court. And they played some solid D.

But this years squad just has so much more athleticism. Kane would probably handle Horton and Ejim/Niang/Hogue would be too much for the '00 frontline.

Tinsley - Morris
Horton - Kane
Johnson - Hogue
Fizer - Ejim
Niang - Shirley/Rancik

Last edited:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
The thread title doesn't indicate that collective emotion has anything to do with...anything. As an accomplishment from the perspective of ISU history Cael will go down as more important and far more accomplished than the 2011 Football Cyclones.

Posts like this are why hawk fans laugh at us. As a singular moment it was awesome (I was there) but to say it's better than the first Insight Bowl is kinda sad. What did the 2011 Cyclones do...really?

I'd say objectively the 2011 oSu game has been no greater than the 1992 Nebraska game.

Whaat? The question is the greatest moment not the culmination of the greatest season. I understand that our Football history is ****. Why should I give have a **** what some Hawkeye fan says? Why should you? The greatest moment FOR ME in the history of ISU athletics was beating a top 2 team for the first time EVER. I was there, I witnessed the come back, rushed the field, and still get goose bumps thinking about it.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Hoiberg hire. The Oklahoma State game was thought to be a big turning point but never did much to help us gain momentum.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Hoiberg hire. The Oklahoma State game was thought to be a big turning point but never did much to help us gain momentum.

Too early to judge that. A lot of the guys who committed that next offseason were only redshirts last year.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Whaat? The question is the greatest moment not the culmination of the greatest season. I understand that our Football history is ****. Why should I give have a **** what some Hawkeye fan says? Why should you? The greatest moment FOR ME in the history of ISU athletics was beating a top 2 team for the first time EVER. I was there, I witnessed the come back, rushed the field, and still get goose bumps thinking about it.

WHHHAAAAAAA....

I think it's been well established (including by me, I was also there) that the oSu game was awesome. But I'd trade it for the 2000 Insight Bowl ten times out of ten. First Bowl win > regular season victory.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Osu game
billups return in insight.com
end the streak against Iowa in 1998
cutting the nets down in 2000
orr and Fred and Vitale and hilton magic
cael closing out his last match

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

So the greatest moment IN THE HISTORY OF ISU ATHLETICS - the pinnacle of achievement, is beating a top 2 team, at home, on a Friday night in a regular season game during the midst of a 6-6 campaign that would end up being 6-7?

I'm going to go drink now. This topic has actually become depressing - we have nothing more than a regular season victory?

I agree with weR138. The OSU win is perhaps only marginally better than the NU game in '92. They were #7, not much worse than 2. And given the relative conditions of the programs and recent success, I'd say it's safe to say that was more shocking. And they did it in regulation. But both were great.

How about the win over Wilt Chamberlain and KU in 1957?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron