What clubs do I need

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I have been using friends golf clubs for a few years and decided that I will buy some of my own. I am not very good so prob dont need that great of clubs as I doubt it will make a difference. My questions are below, let me know anything else I might need to know.

What clubs are must haves?

What clubs are nice to have?

What clubs do I not need at all?

Cheaper to buy entire set or individual clubs?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have been using friends golf clubs for a few years and decided that I will buy some of my own. I am not very good so prob dont need that great of clubs as I doubt it will make a difference. My questions are below, let me know anything else I might need to know.

What clubs are must haves?

What clubs are nice to have?

What clubs do I not need at all?

Cheaper to buy entire set or individual clubs?

Depends on how much you want to spend.

If you're looking to spend just a couple of hundred dollars to get you going, buy the complete set.

If you're looking to spend a little bit more money, you'll have to put the set together.

- buy a set of irons, which usually consists of the 3-9 irons as well as the pitching wedge (although TaylorMade sometimes does the 4-9 irons, pitching wedge, and and alternate wedge). Steel shafts are best.

- buy a driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood.

- buy a putter.

- if you want, you can replace your 3, 4, and 5 irons with 3, 4, and 5 hybrids. They swing like woods, but are more forgiving like irons.

Ping, TaylorMade, Callaway, and Nike are all good brands

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
1. Driver, 3 and 5 wood. 3, 5, 7, 9 irons, pitching wedge, and putter
2. sand wedge, fairway wood/7 wood, lob wedge
3. fairway wood/7 wood, lob wedge
4. set is cheaper

tiberius

Sep 20, 2006
I would add foot wedge to the list. I use it a lot, works good around trees and getting back on the fairway.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
How much money do you want to spend is the key question. I assume not much. If you were in the market to spend a lot of money on golf clubs you wouldn't be asking us for advice on what to get.

The basic set, and what I'd recommend:
Driver, 3 Wood, 3-9 irons, wedge, putter.

Until you figure out your game, I wouldn't bother with any more/different. No 5 wood, hybrids, or extra wedges. As someone else mentioned, you could even go with only odd numbered irons (3, 5, 7, 9) but getting a complete set (3-9 + wedge) is going to be a least cost option. If you walk you may want to start only carrying the odds.

Steel shafts are going to be less expensive, but they are not necessarily better.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
How much money do you want to spend is the key question. I assume not much. If you were in the market to spend a lot of money on golf clubs you wouldn't be asking us for advice on what to get.

The basic set, and what I'd recommend:
Driver, 3 Wood, 3-9 irons, wedge, putter.

Until you figure out your game, I wouldn't bother with any more/different. No 5 wood, hybrids, or extra wedges. As someone else mentioned, you could even go with only odd numbered irons (3, 5, 7, 9) but getting a complete set (3-9 + wedge) is going to be a least cost option. If you walk you may want to start only carrying the odds.

Steel shafts are going to be less expensive, but they are not necessarily better.

I second this post. For a beginner, I think Wilson makes a pretty good set. Honestly,you'l do far better spending money on lessons rather than clubs.

Must-have clubs, IMO, are Driver, 3 Wood (or a 4 or 5 wood for starters ,to be honest - you really just need some sort of fairway wood), preferably a 3 or 4 hybrid, 5-9 irons (a 4 iron if you don't get a hybrid), a pitching wedge and a putter. I know that leaves you with yardage gaps, but starting out you're going to be so inconsistent it doesn't matter that much.

I'd buy the 5-PW as a set, firstly because it's cheaper,and secondly because you'll have consistent lofts between clubs that way (the 5 iron in some sets is lofted roughly the same as a 4 in others). Mix and match the woods/hybrids and use a putter you feel comfortable with.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Look on eBay. You can actually get really good, name brand clubs on there for relatively cheap. I bought a full set of King Cobra (then those were stolen while at the Lake of the Ozarks) and loved them. After that fiasco, I bought a full set of Titleist and love those also. I believe, with all clubs and bag, it came out to around $800-1,000.

If you take your time though and wait out a lot of the auctions, you can find almost anything cheap and good on eBay.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
irons - nike slingshot oss are considered to be one of the most forgiving set of clubs that you can buy but they are priced around $400 or so 4-AW. the best thing to do is to test clubs in a store. most ****'s sporting goods have a place to swing clubs as well as a pga pro to help you decide what to buy within your price range.

driver - buying a driver is a different story, you really need to know what you are looking for. i bought a taylor made burner draw and absolutely love it, i went with a 9.5 degree loft to counter my high ball flight and added about twenty feet and much more accuracy to my drive. dont buy what is trendy and priced high, buy something that you can hit well and consistent. A club i really fell in love with was the hippo hex2, but i couldnt find one to demo for a full round.

wedges- cleveland wedges are the best out there and pretty reasonably priced. if you work with a pga pro while buying the clubs they will be able to tell you what loft and bounce to buy. plus cleveland makes many models for many different skill levels.

putter - most important club in your bag. the only club that you use every hole. most courses will let you demo a club if you ask so i did this for one full season before i found a putter that i fell in love with.

the biggest thing is not to rush into any decision on buying a particular club or iron set, and never buy it with out swinging it. you have at least three months before the season really gets going so try some different things out and find what is best for you.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
irons - nike slingshot oss are considered to be one of the most forgiving set of clubs that you can buy but they are priced around $400 or so 4-AW. the best thing to do is to test clubs in a store. most ****'s sporting goods have a place to swing clubs as well as a pga pro to help you decide what to buy within your price range.

driver - buying a driver is a different story, you really need to know what you are looking for. i bought a taylor made burner draw and absolutely love it, i went with a 9.5 degree loft to counter my high ball flight and added about twenty feet and much more accuracy to my drive. dont buy what is trendy and priced high, buy something that you can hit well and consistent. A club i really fell in love with was the hippo hex2, but i couldnt find one to demo for a full round.

wedges- cleveland wedges are the best out there and pretty reasonably priced. if you work with a pga pro while buying the clubs they will be able to tell you what loft and bounce to buy. plus cleveland makes many models for many different skill levels.

putter - most important club in your bag. the only club that you use every hole. most courses will let you demo a club if you ask so i did this for one full season before i found a putter that i fell in love with.

the biggest thing is not to rush into any decision on buying a particular club or iron set, and never buy it with out swinging it. you have at least three months before the season really gets going so try some different things out and find what is best for you.

Well, not "every" hole.. assuming you get a hole in one. :wink:

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
If you take your time though and wait out a lot of the auctions, you can find almost anything cheap and good on eBay.
I would advise against this. A very large percentage of the clubs sold on ebay are knock-offs.

As you have just been borrowing clubs, I would say to buy something cheap or find something used. At the early stages of your game, (or the later stages for that matter) the clubs are way less important than skill level. If you wanted to spend a lot of money, get some lessons first, then have clubs custom fit later.

For used clubs, shop locally, such as craigslist, or use a reputable online dealer. I would recommend: Used Golf Clubs, Pre-Owned Drivers, Irons, Putters, Wedges: Callaway Golf Pre-Owned

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
I would advise against this. A very large percentage of the clubs sold on ebay are knock-offs.

As you have just been borrowing clubs, I would say to buy something cheap or find something used. At the early stages of your game, (or the later stages for that matter) the clubs are way less important than skill level. If you wanted to spend a lot of money, get some lessons first, then have clubs custom fit later.

For used clubs, shop locally, such as craigslist, or use a reputable online dealer. I would recommend: Used Golf Clubs, Pre-Owned Drivers, Irons, Putters, Wedges: Callaway Golf Pre-Owned

If you were to use eBay, have somebody who knows what they are looking at and reading about take a look at the clubs you are possibly going to bid on. Both of the sets I have bought off of eBay were not knock-offs and I got them at about 1/2 of the actual cost b/c I took my time and only paid what I was willing to pay on them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron