What can ISU do to raise money???

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Some 'o you folks is lost.

Best way to get more money?

!. Schedule better nonconference foes. I mean c'mon--Iowa?!! :wink:

2. Win more games. The immediate effect is more games on TV (resulting in piles of cash), but there's a Reaganomics-style trickledown effect across the board.

Step One, Step Two. Simple enough. And we're already on the way to Step Two.

Although I liked the idea of the cheerleaders, pom pons and etc. doing car washes. How much would the volleyball or WBB teams rake in? :wink:

Heck, get the likes of Cameron Bell and Lucca Staiger out there. Women own cars too.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
The biggest problem is the Big XII:

1. The Big XII has one of the worst TV deals of all BCS conferences; it's a joke compared to the SEC and the Big 10. The AD's and conference chairman need to negotiate better.

2. The Big XII has one of the worst deals for tie-ins to lucrative bowls of all BCS conferences. Again, far behind the SEC and Big 10. Again, the conference AD's and chairman need to negotiate better.

3. The Big XII has the most inequitable revenue sharing imaginable. Most other conferences, like the Big 10 for example, have revenue sharing. The Big XII does not. Teams get to keep TV money in proportion to their appearances. It's a great deal for Texas & Oklahoma, probably Nebraska. After all, they're on ABC or ESPN virtually every week. It's not great for everyone else. In fact ISU probably gets the rubber end of the plunger more than any other conference school with the possible exception of Baylor, since we appear on ABC once every 2 or 3 years and are lucky to get a few lower revenue games on Versus, FCS, or other networks nobody has ever heard of. The worst part is, if our game is not picked up by one of the big networks not only do we not get a share of the TV revenue from Texas or Oklahoma's game, we also cannot go sell our broadcast to someone else and get our own revenue because we would compete for viewers with the "important" conference game. Pollard needs to band together with the AD's from the other schools that are getting bent over by the Big XII TV revenue sharing and get the conference policy changed so it is more equitable.

A bake sale wouldn't hurt either. And a raffle. Everyone likes a raffle.

Duff

Feb 29, 2008
Iowa State's athletic budget and spending are rising steadily. New fan suites giving another big boost to revenue. Playing in Arrowhead Stadium will bring big money. Big donors are stepping up -- didn't you notice the huge financial boost coming from the new b-ball facility? Ticket prices are being increased. Iowa State is doing all the right things, and small - potato dorks like us on the 'puter sit around ******** about ... nothing.
As for complaints about football scheduling, doesn't everybody know that smaller-name non-conference opponents do help build our season records? Everybody but Southern Cal is doing it. Get real, folks.

kurecabinboy

Apr 22, 2008
Iowa State's athletic budget and spending are rising steadily. New fan suites giving another big boost to revenue. Playing in Arrowhead Stadium will bring big money. Big donors are stepping up -- didn't you notice the huge financial boost coming from the new b-ball facility? Ticket prices are being increased. Iowa State is doing all the right things, and small - potato dorks like us on the 'puter sit around ******** about ... nothing.
As for complaints about football scheduling, doesn't everybody know that smaller-name non-conference opponents do help build our season records? Everybody but Southern Cal is doing it. Get real, folks.

Athletic departments, like any other business, need to be in constant search and strive for improvement, or they will find themselves behind the times. I hate to break it to you, but ISU consistently ranks in the bottom 3 in AD revenue in the Big XII and that is a problem that must be fixed. I agree that we're moving in the right direction and I agree that it's not a bad thing to have some easier non-conference opponents on our schedule, but I don't agree that we can't share ideas on this site to boost revenue.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Some 'o you folks is lost.

Best way to get more money?

!. Schedule better nonconference foes. I mean c'mon--Iowa?!! :wink:

2. Win more games. The immediate effect is more games on TV (resulting in piles of cash), but there's a Reaganomics-style trickledown effect across the board.

Step One, Step Two. Simple enough. And we're already on the way to Step Two.

I can't agree with either step 1 or 2. They seem to cross each other out.

You want better opponents, but you want to win more games.

Better teams=better competition

We lost to UNI last year, Toledo, Kent State. All inferior competition. Or not great competition.

So if we schedule MN, IL, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Pittsburg we will have more fans. But are we capable of beating them?? Because winning will bring more fans..

Guys we can't have both right now. We either get some twinkies to eat up and build up the wins, or we schedule tough teams and risk losing them all. We have to get better in order to schedule the tougher teams.

Everyone is quick to jump on everything JP does, but I can't fault him yet.

The grass roots campaign is the best I have heard so far.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sharing of TV contracts within the big XII would be nice...

There is sharing - just not totally equally. Half of the television revenue for football and men's basketball is divided up equally to all the schools, and the other half is pro-rated depending on a school's # of television appearances.
ISU gets far more money from the Big XII than what we put in.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
ISU gets far more money from the Big XII than what we put in.

I think you're implying that we get more money from the Big 12 than we would get if we were in the MAC or WAC or Conference USA. We are, but that doesn't mean we're getting a fair deal. We have no control over what games the various networks choose -- and if they choose to broadcast Texas on national TV 6 times in one year and ISU zero times, Texas gets far more revenue than we do -- but it's not correct to say Texas "puts in" more money just because they're on TV more. They have no control over the TV networks' decisions, and regardless of who's on TV, we play the same number of games and have the same expenses they do. Until the Big XII gets revenue sharing like the SEC and Big Ten have, the rich will get richer and the poor will stay poorer.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
More fans=more money.
Winning==more fans

Let's be honest, there aren't a lot of ISU fans out there.

Scheduling tougher teams would be dumb right now as we're still not a good program.

Once we are, then we can start scheduling a decent non-conference team each year. To do it now would just add another loss to the season.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I see a small down side to playing in KC, but the payout, close to $2 million per game for both games, is too good to pass up.

The idea of CF members, (not just Jeremy), instituting different fund raising projects is an interesting and doable idea. People could do things locally year round if they chose to, and use annual events to initiate some larger money raising projects, (golf tourney, picnics, family outings to local or not-so-local events). To ensure better attendance and alleviate some travel for fans outside of central Iowa, you could tie the events in with things already scheduled, like the Iowa Games, the State Fair, Special Olympics. The spring football scrimmage could be an ideal time to get fans together and increase attendance at JTS for the scrimmage. There could be pre and/or post game functions on that Saturday with tickets for $10-$20. If fans couldn't, or simply didn't want to attend, they could still purchase tickets to help the program.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I would like to see the Cyclone Club give all of Cyclone Alley and the students who purchase Season Tickets to football or basketball free memberships to the Cyclone Club.

This can't cost them too much, it would get them familure with the organization and how they influence athletics by gathering donations. This would then lead to the Cyclone Club starting a database of students who will soon graduate. Hopefully this would allow them to contact these new grads and solicite donations and start to develope a young donation group that will last for a long time.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
but the payout, close to $2 million per game for both games, is too good to pass up.

No. No. No.

DMR: "The Cyclones will receive $850,000 in 2009 and $950,000 in 2010 - when Kansas State is the home team - plus a possible portion of gate receipts."

It's $1.8M TOTAL, not $1.8M per year.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
3. The Big XII has the most inequitable revenue sharing imaginable. Most other conferences, like the Big 10 for example, have revenue sharing. The Big XII does not. Teams get to keep TV money in proportion to their appearances. It's a great deal for Texas & Oklahoma, probably Nebraska. After all, they're on ABC or ESPN virtually every week. It's not great for everyone else. In fact ISU probably gets the rubber end of the plunger more than any other conference school with the possible exception of Baylor, since we appear on ABC once every 2 or 3 years and are lucky to get a few lower revenue games on Versus, FCS, or other networks nobody has ever heard of. The worst part is, if our game is not picked up by one of the big networks not only do we not get a share of the TV revenue from Texas or Oklahoma's game, we also cannot go sell our broadcast to someone else and get our own revenue because we would compete for viewers with the "important" conference game. Pollard needs to band together with the AD's from the other schools that are getting bent over by the Big XII TV revenue sharing and get the conference policy changed so it is more equitable.

Although true, this argument is made so often it gets quite boring. JP has made the plea for schools to band together before to get the revenue sharing policy changed. He can get Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Colorado to come to the table with him. Unfortunately, that leaves him one vote short as it will take a total of 9 votes to get the revenue sharing policy to change. So, who else is he going to get to come to the table with him? Texas? Oklahoma? Texas A&M? Nebraska? Those four schools are the only four schools left, and all four of them benefit most from the current revenue sharing package? Which one of those four schools is going to be generous enough to straight up give their excess revenue to Iowa State? I don't know how much plainer it can be said, but we made our bed when we went from the Big 8 to the Big 12, now we have to sleep in it.

bigB

May 30, 2008
This would then lead to the Cyclone Club starting a database of students who will soon graduate. Hopefully this would allow them to contact these new grads and solicite donations and start to develope a young donation group that will last for a long time.

Based on some emails that i have based back and forth with the AD something along these lines is in the works...i believe beginning with the class of '09 they will be giving a one year Cyclone Club membership to graduating seniors.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
This would then lead to the Cyclone Club starting a database of students who will soon graduate. Hopefully this would allow them to contact these new grads and solicite donations and start to develope a young donation group that will last for a long time.

NCC is through the ISU Foundation, so from what I understand, it is like donating to ISU and specifying where you want the money to go. Of course, there are the perks - I haven't done a specific donation to my college to get better seats in an econ class... :biglaugh: The Foundation is amazing at knowing a lot about all alumni and the NCC was marketed well to me when I graduated. The $50 Varsity level was a great way to get involved (that's gone now right? I guess $100 isn't far off...) I just get a little annoyed by the two or three extra calls every year for other ISU causes (library, band, vet med - none of which I was involved with in my time at ISU...) The last vet med one was a little hard - they called after we took a dog there to be cremated and forgot to put that in the notes. "So how was your dog's recovery?" "She was dead." Silence. OUCH! (I used to work for the Foundation in general fundrasing, so I do know that its a tough job...)

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't know how much plainer it can be said, but we made our bed when we went from the Big 8 to the Big 12, now we have to sleep in it.

Simple solution. Start playing footsie (exploratory talks) with the Big Ten/11 to become their balancing twelfth school. That'll get their attention. Who would they add to replace us, Arkansas? Nebraska would just love that. For that matter, they grab enough of UT, OU and A&M's recruits as it is without being in the conference. Who else? Maybe Rice? Houston? TCU? SMU?

And there, you've got Nebby's vote.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
A more robust corporate partner (sponsorship) program.

Now you're talkin'! Get a sponsor for the entire Iowa State Center. Anytime an event is held at JT, Hilton, CY Stephens or Scheman they get their name put on the event. Principal presents ISU vs Nebraska at Jack Trice Field. Principal presents ISU vs Kansas at Hilton, presents Phantom of the Opera at C.Y. Stephens, etc. That would be a ton of exposure to sports fans and non-sports fans and would deliver a nice chunk of change.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron