What beers should I buy?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My god, the guy is asking for the best in Iowa and people are recommending Exile?

#1 What styles do you like?

#2 What cities/towns will you be in?

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
I'll be in SW Iowa, but driving I-80 most of the way. Was planning on stopping in Des Moines on the way through.

In regards to styles, I enjoy most (not sours or lambics though). While I might pick up some 6 packs, I'll probably grab single bottles if possible.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I do really like Peace Tree Blond Fatale but it will knock you on your *** if you aren't paying attention.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Well then Exile may be your best bet because there are not too many other Iowa brewers hitting that segment. Not sure if they are still producing but the Cherry and Raspberry Bohemian were both good.

If you have time, check out the Red Monk in Des Moines. Great selection of non-Iowa sours on tap.

I think mis-read his post... 'not sours or lambics though'

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
For IPA's not available in Chicago, I would get anything you can find from Toppling Goliath in a 22 oz. bottle among the following:

Pseudo Sue (just in bottles and supposedly coming out soon-cans are from Florida and not consistent)
Pompeii (my favorite)
Zeelander
SOSUS
Golden Nugget (check the date-a lot of old stuff around- again, 22 oz bottle only)

Another of my favorites is the lineup from Surly in the Twin Cities. Not sure if you can get that in Chicago, but if not, try to find Todd the Axeman or Abrasive. Both are periodic distribution, but may get lucky. Surly Furious is also very good and you can get that any time. Most likely, anything you find from Surly will be really fresh also.

IMO, many of the other beers mentioned here are OK, but certainly not something I'd go out of my way to get if I lived in Chicago.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Alluvial has been adding some solid brews to the market. You might stop in if you're headed through Ames. Avoid Olde Main at all costs.

Herkster

Feb 12, 2016
For IPA's not available in Chicago, I would get anything you can find from Toppling Goliath in a 22 oz. bottle among the following:

Pseudo Sue (just in bottles and supposedly coming out soon-cans are from Florida and not consistent)
Pompeii (my favorite)
Zeelander
SOSUS
Golden Nugget (check the date-a lot of old stuff around- again, 22 oz bottle only)

Another of my favorites is the lineup from Surly in the Twin Cities. Not sure if you can get that in Chicago, but if not, try to find Todd the Axeman or Abrasive. Both are periodic distribution, but may get lucky. Surly Furious is also very good and you can get that any time. Most likely, anything you find from Surly will be really fresh also.

IMO, many of the other beers mentioned here are OK, but certainly not something I'd go out of my way to get if I lived in Chicago.

PsuedoSue is out in cans already. 4 packs so far, at least of what I have found.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
PsuedoSue is out in cans already. 4 packs so far, at least of what I have found.
What I was saying is to just buy Pseudo Sue or Golden Nugget if he finds them in 22oz bottles. Do not buy the cans.

Help Support Us

Become a patron