What are they building?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I spend my money at Dyvig's Pet Shoppe in Ames. A place that actually takes care of everything they have for sale. Hell at least Petco will be clean.
How is that place? I've seen people picket it before so I've been afraid to go in. I think they were unhappy that puppies are sold there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Last edited:

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
How is that place? I've seen people picket it before so I've been afraid to go in. I think they were unhappy that puppies are sold there.

I like the place personally. I get the whole "puppy mill" thing, but if it isn't illegal I don't know why you would try to hurt a small, local business that really loves animals. Most of the workers there are vet students that truly love and take good care of all the pets. I prefer shopping there over any other pet store.

Puppy mills are going to be a thing until it is illegal and I'd rather have the animals be in a store like this than somewhere else.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ames doesn't have any good sports equipment stores, Sports Page barely counts, Jax has some but not a lot.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
Brekke's on 30 east of town is my favorite pet/farm feed supply store in the area. High quality, reasonable prices, and great people!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Great treasures? Even in the new location The Ark is a horrible pet store. I've never been in there without the tanks just full of dead fish. Meanwhile all the employees are sitting behind the front counter.

Don't get me wrong I hate box pet stores too, but calling The Ark a treasure is something else. I spend my money at Dyvig's Pet Shoppe in Ames. A place that actually takes care of everything they have for sale. Hell at least Petco will be clean.

My 2 cents.

agreed on the Ark. Heard some straight up awful stories about their treatment of animals from people who used to work there.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
Great treasures? Even in the new location The Ark is a horrible pet store. I've never been in there without the tanks just full of dead fish. Meanwhile all the employees are sitting behind the front counter.

Don't get me wrong I hate box pet stores too, but calling The Ark a treasure is something else. I spend my money at Dyvig's Pet Shoppe in Ames. A place that actually takes care of everything they have for sale. Hell at least Petco will be clean.

My 2 cents.

IIRC Dyvig's was selling puppy mill puppies. I only went in there once and wasn't very impressed.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I like being able to wear a cup, accentuates my package. Like yoga pants for men.
When you get holes in the knees, then you can cut them off, realllll short. Just like coaches shorts from the 80s. I'd link a picture, but I'd worry about copy write infringement.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I get great service from The Ark and it seems like the staff really care.

The last time I went into the Ark I watched the employees take rats/mice out of a cart, hold them by the tail, and whack them on the floor to "stun/kill" them before they put them in with the snakes. I realize they are going to die, but there has to be a better way than that. Didn't seem to bother them that the store was full of customers watching them in amazement.

The Ark has always just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Help Support Us

Become a patron