What are the chances of lots of staff turnover after this season?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MrMayor

Oct 2, 2013
Yes, it's another thread on a topic being beat to death. But what are the chances that we fire quite a few coaches after this season? Do you think Rhoads will keep Messingham around after this season? Do you think he will be demoted? Or do you think he will be given another shot? Personally I don't think this is all Messinghams fault, but something had to change. Let the flaming commence.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think there needs to be some changes, including Mess, but I wouldn't count on it actually happening.

I was completely shocked when Herman left and Rhoads had the opportunity to hire an up and coming OC and he didn't. He promoted his buddy. That said everything to me right there. So no, I wouldn't anticipate any changes. Rhoads seems like a pretty stubborn guy.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
How do you go from "I AM CALLING THE UPSET" to "I AM FIRING ALL THE COACHES" in one week's time?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
80% chance Mess gets fired or demoted. After that I don't really see Rhoads changing a lot else. Sturdy is the safest guy on the offensive side of the ball, IMO.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I think there needs to be some changes, including Mess, but I wouldn't count on it actually happening.

I was completely shocked when Herman left and Rhoads had the opportunity to hire an up and coming OC and he didn't. He promoted his buddy. That said everything to me right there. So no, I wouldn't anticipate any changes. Rhoads seems like a pretty stubborn guy.

I still dont think it was a good ol boy thing. Mess had some albeit not D1 experience as an OC, but the players and coaches respected him as a developmental position coach. So it wasnt like he just picked up some nobody. However, i took issue because it was a critical time in Rhoads' tenure and he needed someone who had BIGTIME experience and could hit the ground running. Instead he hired a guy who would have to learn on the job at this level as a playcaller.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Slim to none that there will be lots of staff turnover. It wouldn't surprise me if Mess is let go or at least demoted. Rhoads has to know that he's got angry fanatics teetering on the brink of madness. He knows the fan base is an important part of the foundation of creating a hostile environment for other teams to contend with. I think he's just very diplomatic in how he goes about his business. I don't think he feels like he owes it to us as fans to let us in the know about his thoughts, feelings and dealings in regards to his staff members. However, he knows the ship hasn't righted itself at all, since the season began and he'll do what he needs to do try and resolve it. Mess and Pope are the most likely to be let go of imo. Maybe Douglas.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I doubt there will be much or any staff turnover. Coach said over and over again in preseason interviews that he really likes having a consistent staff.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Is there anyone besides me that isn't sold on Klenakis at all? I understand he's only been here one year and he's had a rash of injuries on the OL, but nothing about our OL impresses me at all right now. We can't block anyone and are just getting blown up all the time.

I hope I'm wrong about him and he turns out to be exactly what we need, but I have my doubts. Sounded like Arkansas fans were happy to get him out of there.

Apr 19, 2006
Yes, it's another thread on a topic being beat to death. But what are the chances that we fire quite a few coaches after this season? Do you think Rhoads will keep Messingham around after this season? Do you think he will be demoted? Or do you think he will be given another shot? Personally I don't think this is all Messinghams fault, but something had to change. Let the flaming commence.

I'm not worried about CPR firing anybody, I'm more worried about the coaches leaving (Burnhams), recruiting class falling a part, and turmoil within the organization. I could see the Burnhams heading back south.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm not worried about CPR firing anybody, I'm more worried about the coaches leaving (Burnhams), recruiting class falling a part, and turmoil within the organization. I could see the Burnhams heading back south.

I really wouldn't be worried about anyone leaving this team. We just lost 71-7, and we are staring right at a 1-11 season. Losing anyone off of this staff will not kill us, trust me.

I'd just as soon keep the Burnham's if possible, but it certainly won't be the end of the world or anything. Even though our offense is absolutely horrible, the defense led by the Burnham's just gave almost 800 yds in one single football game. If they want to leave, so be it. It can't get much worse.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think again we are overselling burnhams value, at 72(?) this is probably his last job. Plus he just got smoked for 71 and his d isn't great just less terrible than the rest of our team.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I think again we are overselling burnhams value, at 72(?) this is probably his last job. Plus he just got smoked for 71 and his d isn't great just less terrible than the rest of our team.

I still dont see the D as the ultimate let down. We knew going into this season it was gonna have youth and inexperience. Its just increased 10x by being on the ******* field 90 percent of the game.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Not saying we shouldn't get rid of some of the staff, but what I worry about with staff turnover is the learning curve with the players, which could mean next year is another step back year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not saying we shouldn't get rid of some of the staff, but what I worry about with staff turnover is the learning curve with the players, which could mean next year is another step back year.

A step back next year? From what? A one win season? Kinda hard to take much of a step back from this year I'm afraid.

Mess has already ruined another 2 QB's probably. Do we want him getting a hold of anymore QB's?

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

Staff turnover is such a big part of the college FB world. True, a learning curve does have to be taken into account...but just like a coach/program is looking to recruit certain kinds of athletes with specific attributes, so too would a coach/program look for coach that fits within a specific system...most of the time. Klenakis is an example of where that doesn't apply...but Rhoads was looking to install a new formation anyway, so the learning curve would have existed regardless of the coach, whether old or new.