What’s your Thanksgiving and Christmas going to look like?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What’s your 2020 thanksgiving and Christmas going to look like?

• Small group of family.

• All of family. Like any normal year.

• I will not be celebrating with any family this year.

• Large group of family/all of family but will require masks inside home with other safety protocols.

Results are only viewable after voting.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have a brother and friends who fry their bird and it's delicious. Just don't burn your house down.
Yes! I had a coworker who fried one in their backyard. He didn't know that his thermometer wasn't working correctly and it caught on fire. It was away from the house but they still had damage to their deck.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Can't vote in chrome but undecided. One set of parents has already had it from attending multiple large events (luckily not seriously as both have serious conditions), the rest of the family is mixed bag on taking it seriously or not. For sure wouldn't do large extended family which I hope they aren't having anyway but I wouldn't be surprised. My side is a bit more isolated by nature but we hung out once this summer, outside, when cases in that county were like, 3. Now it's much higher in the area and being contained indoors isn't ideal. I'd like to not go at all, husband is torn. If we have a known exposure, we have to keep our toddler out of daycare for two weeks which I do not want to deal with - plus obviously don't want a toddler with past lung issues getting this.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
family hasn't really discussed it yet, but will probably be my dads side of the family in CR.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It will be the same as usual. The elderly in my family (all are in their late 60's early 70's,) basically insisted we celebrate together. The last thing they want to do in their old age is celebrate the holidays away from their children and grandchildren. Can't wait.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Is a gathering of family members safer than a gathering of acquaintances or strangers?

If so, we are going to need a lot more brew.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It just doesn't make sense to pass through 2-3 airports directly to older family who are taking things very responsibly for 7 months now.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Can't vote in chrome but undecided. One set of parents has already had it from attending multiple large events (luckily not seriously as both have serious conditions), the rest of the family is mixed bag on taking it seriously or not. For sure wouldn't do large extended family which I hope they aren't having anyway but I wouldn't be surprised. My side is a bit more isolated by nature but we hung out once this summer, outside, when cases in that county were like, 3. Now it's much higher in the area and being contained indoors isn't ideal. I'd like to not go at all, husband is torn. If we have a known exposure, we have to keep our toddler out of daycare for two weeks which I do not want to deal with - plus obviously don't want a toddler with past lung issues getting this.

You can vote in chrome. You just have to click the little things that look like boxes, it doesn't show that it does anything but if you click the option you want and hit vote, itll actually work. At least it does for me.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Exact plans are up in the air but probably some form of family gathering. Had this discussion with my wife recently that life is too short to stay distant from immediate family for a prolonged time. If you can't trust your family to stay healthy and let you know they have not been feeling well lately or possibly been exposed to someone with the virus then you have another issue. I don't want to look back and feel like I wasted a year being so scared of this virus that my kids and their grand parents miss out on a year or more of time together along with us spending time with our parents who are getting older as well.

It's a little different with my family and my wife's family as my side is small and distanced geographically where my brother is 14 hours away and my aunts and uncles all about 5 to 10 hours so we only get to see them once or twice a year anyways but my parents are just 30 minutes away so we'll probably do something with them. My wife has a large family, she is youngest of 4 and between her and her 3 siblings there are 12 kids amongst them ranging from just out of college to 3 years old so even just visiting with her mom and siblings all at once there would be at least 19 of us under 1 roof and a lot of the older grand kids are playing sports or working part time jobs so they are more socially active than any in the family. I don't know if we are going to do individual family trips to her mom's or what but my wife mentioned her mom probably will have us wear masks. Health is a touchy subject since my wife's dad passed away from a battle with cancer right before the pandemic started and her mom is somewhat high risk at her age and health as well so she's a little extra protective right now.

Just ready for a vaccine and hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel soon because this social distancing and not being able to do as much with friends and family as I would like to really sucks. Everyone focuses on the infections numbers so much but as we go into the winter and holidays which even in normal years can be a depressing time for some people I hate to think about what kind of mental health or substance abuse issues this pandemic may elevate even more for people who were already struggling before having the pandemic issues weighing on them now too.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We are just zooming Thanksgiving with our out of state kids and the ISU students will be at home.

Haven’t figured out Christmas.

A woman from our church keeps telling folks to quit living in fear and do the holidays like normal. Their family of four all got the rona already and three of them, including a 20 year old son, had to be hospitalized. Of course they had been attending church maskless. Fortunately the people they spread it to while everyone sings in their pews are not elderly. The elderly simply don’t go, given the complete absence of masks, the singing from the pews and choir loft, and people receiving Communion on the tongue ahead of others.
One of my daughters-in-law has been posting multiple copy/pastes on FB about "not living in fear". We're not living in fear - we're simply taking appropriate precautions based on our age & health. They live on the east coast, and are planning on being back here for Christmas. Most likely, they will stay with her parents. That's the norm, because there are usually several sets of kids/grandkids staying in our house and they are the only ones with a local option. Her mother is a nurse/midwife, so we'll see how much caution happens there. Hopefully mom is cautious, but I'm not holding my breath.
We've already explained to them that we will not be having our annual gathering here on NYE. We have not allowed anyone inside our home except a repairman, and a neighbor girl who took care of the cats while we were camping for a few days. It's going to be interesting. I'm hoping there will be days warm enough to visit with them at a park or do some geocaching or something. or else snow on the ground to go sledding with them. That way we can visit with them without close contact. We would love to see our grandkids, but that entire family of six has NOT been practicing any safety measures at all.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Same as any year. Watch the Lions and Cowboys lose. Just this time it'll be only our direct family eating and will have to complain about the poor coaching over the phone.

Not going to commit for Christmas yet. Will depend on the situation in Iowa at that time. Cause in September I would have thought Thanksgiving would have been normal.