What’s your Thanksgiving and Christmas going to look like?

What’s your 2020 thanksgiving and Christmas going to look like?

• Small group of family.

• All of family. Like any normal year.

• I will not be celebrating with any family this year.

• Large group of family/all of family but will require masks inside home with other safety protocols.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
No family for my wife and I (they all live half way across the country). It will probably just be us. Unsure if there will be a small gathering with friends. But I do not anticipate having a small gathering.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
My thought and my sisters thought is just our parents and us since we are all around each other pretty regularly anyway. Parents want to go to grandparents because they aren’t sure how many holidays they have left anyway. I’m torn because my sister is at Iowa State and I’m still going to work half time. I understand parents perspective but don’t want to get grandparents sick.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm looking forward to this year being just cause to taper back our Thanksgiving celebration. I'm the type that would prefer a smaller gathering with only immediate family, and maybe a few members of extended family, anyway. My wife and her family are much more in the invite everyone, 50+ people category. So frankly I'm kind of thrilled to have a reason to institute some change.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Like normal but unfortunately without any grandparents.

I have 3 grandparents all living in one building. A building that is split half nursing home and half assisted living. 100% of the patients (including my grandmother) in the nursing home have COVID. (Like 26/26) and 50% or so in the AL have it (not my grma/grpa)

Yikes. Thankfully grandma has no symptoms

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My dad has fried a couple turkeys and they turned out pretty good. He hasn't done one like that in a few years though. The turkey fryer is now mainly used to boil sweet corn so we can freeze a bunch.

We use ours for that to. Pretty handy at family gatherings to drop a dozen ears at once and put them on the table nice and hot.

• Winner
Reactions: TykeClone

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
My two years in Austin, TX taught me that the best way to do a Thanksgiving Turkey is to go to all the local BBQ joints and sample their smoked Turkey, then get a couple of pounds the day before and reheat in the oven. No mess, no fuss and better tasting bird that I am capable of making myself.

Now that I am back in Iowa, I found it a little harder to find the same quality. I enjoyed the (former) Wobbly Boots smoked turkey, but the clear winner for me is Kue’d in Waukee. They do a fantastic job brining and smoking turkey.

And now I am hungry....

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
My wife just gave birth to our 4th child last Tuesday and the experience has been bizarre. So far the baby has only been held by 3 extended family members and zero neighbors/friends. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Thanksgiving will be held at my house with the 6 of us, my mom who has been isolating herself so she can help out and probably my grandmother who hasn’t had the best track-record of social distancing.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My wife just gave birth to our 4th child last Tuesday and the experience has been bizarre. So far the baby has only been held by 3 extended family members and zero neighbors/friends. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Thanksgiving will be held at my house with the 6 of us, my mom who has been isolating herself so she can help out and probably my grandmother who hasn’t had the best track-record of social distancing.
So many stories to tell later in this little one's life!

Reactions: 3GenClone

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Thanksgiving I'll be staying where I am (I think I've gone back to see my parents on Thanksgiving once in the past 5 years). So that's not a big deal. Probably go hiking in Joshua Tree or maybe the southern Sierra's

Still trying to figure out Christmas. Don't want to spend it by myself, but due to work and whatnot (plus having to fly from LA to Omaha) it'll be a hard decision, especially since my parents are taking this entire thing very seriously. Not sure if it's worth traveling during the holidays if I have to spend the entire time there in a mask and in a separate room from my parents.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
It'll just be immediate family on both sides for both events (parents and siblings only).

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We are just zooming Thanksgiving with our out of state kids and the ISU students will be at home.

Haven’t figured out Christmas.

A woman from our church keeps telling folks to quit living in fear and do the holidays like normal. Their family of four all got the rona already and three of them, including a 20 year old son, had to be hospitalized. Of course they had been attending church maskless. Fortunately the people they spread it to while everyone sings in their pews are not elderly. The elderly simply don’t go, given the complete absence of masks, the singing from the pews and choir loft, and people receiving Communion on the tongue ahead of others.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Thanksgiving - just my wife and daughter

Christmas - Right now, my entire family is planning on getting together at my sister's here in KC. That's 8 kids with their spouses and some kids (most are grown and won't be there), mostly from different states (MN, IA, CA, AR, MO, KS). I know everyone is being extremely careful and I trust them more than anyone else, but I still think it's stupid idea. I'm pushing for everyone get tested prior to coming.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Both grandparents are part of our daycare plan so it will likely be a normal, but smaller holiday. Wife’s side will be mostly unchanged, but my side will just be my folks. 70 year old uncle with a history of stroke, aunt with diabetes, and my 93 year old grandma don’t need us around all together.

I’m going to try frying a turkey this year so that will be cool. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
I have a brother and friends who fry their bird and it's delicious. Just don't burn your house down.

Pro Tip: Fill the pot with water first and then dunk the bird. This will give you a better idea how high to fill the pot with oil to prevent overfilling.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Thanksgiving-I believe this year is my wife's side. We have been with them a few times already so not too worried. Plus I do the dishes in our house and there aint now way in hell I am doing all those dishes four the four of us.

Christmas-Again we have been with everyone we normally get together with so it is what it is. Will make a decision on going to Christmas Eve service closer to the time. Will likely be sticking with watching online until then.