What’s happening with Women's Basketball Nationally?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I heard Jay Bilis say that the problem with college basketball is the officials. He felt they have let the game get out of control and need to call them per the rule book.
They need to have a single officiating management organization, paying them salaries (like the NFL). The same needs to happen in CFB as well.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The biggest problem is players falling down after they shoot the ball and trying to fake contact.
Tooo the point of absurdity, I have heard several announcers state, "but the 3-point shooter needs to be able to land their feet." ....as they kick out sideways like Bruce Lee at the defender...getting that whistle.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I heard Jay Bilis say that the problem with college basketball is the officials. He felt they have let the game get out of control and need to call them per the rule book.

I agree, I think there is way too much contact that doesn't get called as a foul.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The biggest problem is players falling down after they shoot the ball and trying to fake contact.

seems a bit in both directions. Fouls that should be called aren't called, so players do more to sell the fouls that happen

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Tooo the point of absurdity, I have heard several announcers state, "but the 3-point shooter needs to be able to land their feet." ....as they kick out sideways like Bruce Lee at the defender...getting that whistle.

Sometimes they are just falling down because. High school players fall down less than some college baseball players.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I think women’s CBB will become a bigger thing - ratings, attention, and $$$ - than the WNBA. Might already be there for post season basketball but if you start getting national stars like Clark and others, you get the “root for my team” factor plus stars.

That would be disappointing for women’s basketball just like it would be disappointing if men's college baksetball became bigger than the NBA. I agree it's great to be able to "root for my team" just like it is great to be able to root for a local college baseball or soccer team, but at the same time it seems like it's better that MLB and MLS are bigger than college baseball and soccer respectively.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Story.

Outside work, my former coworker's passion was being a makeup artist. Lauren is blond, shapely about 5'5", and very quick-witted. One of her things was to do her hair (she was a natural blond), make-up, dress up, and do a very striking, and believable, Marilyn Monroe impersonation. It would bowl me over.

However, her other passion was roller derby! She finally quit after several instances of falling on her skates and bruising severely (as she put it) her "who-ha."
Way to paint a picture, my fellow Cyclone brother-in-arms. Godspeed to you, Sir!

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I agree, I think there is way too much contact that doesn't get called as a foul.
What’s happening in women’s college basketball? The top programs (South Carolina, Texas, LSU, Baylor) are collecting size and banging. Finesse teams like Iowa, ISU and Louisville get ground under by the relentless pressure of endless bigs attacking the rim and glass. Like slick Vic says, you can only call one foul at a time, and more often than not the officials swallow the whistle entirely.

I for one, do not prefer the physical game, but I’m an acknowledged dinosaur.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Let them play. Physicality is much more entertaining than a foul parade.