What’s going at Casey’s?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
You hope they have guys with sharp pencils figuring all that out? LOL. They're not expanding like crazy by not knowing what works.
That Bitcoin guy looked really smart until he didn't. I don't claim to know anything about Quick Star's finances, but it's possible to do a lot of expansion on Other People's Money.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Other than gas, margins at a convenience store are HUGE.
There's no business with margins so large that it can't fail. Convenience stores also have a lot of competition and have to pay to be in high-visibility locations. It all depends on the ability to drive traffic into the store and turn inventory.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
One time driving through Elmore, I drove down Mondale avenue to see if they had his birthplace as a “historic” site but didn’t see anything. Figured it was on the street named after him so maybe it wasn’t.
His boyhood home is on E. Mondale, but it's a private residence occupied by a Republican state representative. They have a museum in the church building where his father was a pastor. My first job out of college was in Ble Earth. I remember their was a popular bar/eatery in Frost. I had a friend there who lost his license due to OWI and to stay sober he took up golf. He rode his bike from Blue Earth to Elmore to the public course.

Reactions: NWICY and BCClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That Bitcoin guy looked really smart until he didn't. I don't claim to know anything about Quick Star's finances, but it's possible to do a lot of expansion on Other People's Money.
You mean FTX? You're comparing crypto to convenience store expansion?
Bit weird.

Reactions: keepngoal

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
you are addicted to caseys my friend
When we were in CB there was a local, non-chain pizza joint close by too. Looked up recent reviews and they were all bad, including one that said they found multiple strands of hair in their one pizza. So we went with what we thought was the safer option with Casey's.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Stopped by one of the CR Casey's the morning to grab a coffee and a donut and thought of this thread while in line. Timed the person in front me starting from entering their card into the reader. Including entering their rewards info, it was just shy of 2 minutes. Crazy. No wonder the lines are always long. That and as usual there was only one person working the counter.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Went into a Casey's in Ankeny this morning to get a piece of pizza for breakfast and 2 employees walked out and put bags over all of the pump handles (both Diesel and gas) that said out of service. It must have been a major problem to close all of the pumps at once.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Went into a Casey's in Ankeny this morning to get a piece of pizza for breakfast and 2 employees walked out and put bags over all of the pump handles (both Diesel and gas) that said out of service. It must have been a major problem to close all of the pumps at once.
I've seen this several times in the past few months.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Stopped by one of the CR Casey's the morning to grab a coffee and a donut and thought of this thread while in line. Timed the person in front me starting from entering their card into the reader. Including entering their rewards info, it was just shy of 2 minutes. Crazy. No wonder the lines are always long. That and as usual there was only one person working the counter.
Speaking of Casey's coffee but I HATE the new brew by the cup coffee makers. If I want "gourmet" coffee I sure as sh!t am not going to Casey's. I want to come in and grab a cup, pay, and leave. This is just one of the many ways where Casey's forgot where they came form and have lost touch with their customers.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Speaking of Casey's coffee but I HATE the new brew by the cup coffee makers. If I want "gourmet" coffee I sure as sh!t am not going to Casey's. I want to come in and grab a cup, pay, and leave. This is just one of the many ways where Casey's forgot where they came form and have lost touch with their customers.
Makes sense to me now why Casey's teamed up with HyVee. They think the same. Wonder when they will share management too.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I agree the customer service difference between Kwik Star and Casey's is like night and day.

The credit card scanner on Casey's gas pumps doesn't work (you must insert your card), but they don't have a sign on the pump to warn you about that, so you stand there like an idiot trying to scan your card. When I went inside to let them know, the person behind the counter just said "yeah, it doesn't work".

Also, the gas price at the Ankeny Kwik Stars is always less compared to the Ankeny Casey's.

THIS!!!!

There are Casey's with "tap to pay" technology installed at the pump for 2+ years that have NEVER actually been functional! Some have a sticker to warn you, some don't. I provided feedback through my Casey's rewards once and got a canned, corporate type answer, "We'll work on that..." and nothing changed.

(If you wonder why I care, it's partly because I have a credit card that gives better rewards on Apple Pay than just inserting the card.)

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yesterday I was travelling for work in the middle of the day, and I wanted to stop and get a sub for lunch. One one side of the road was a Casey's, and on the other was a Subway.

For the first time in a decade, I took the Subway option over Casey's. Yeah, it wasn't amazing, but there was someone behind the counter, the store was clean, and they waited on me immediately. I loved Casey's subs like a member of my family, but I know that if I had gone into that store it would have been nothing but unmet expectations and frustration.

Reactions: cycloneML

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
That coffee is the only reason I ever stop there. The faster you can make the coffee after grinding the beans the better. And those machines are instant. And it's still at gas station price.

• Agree
Reactions: bos and cayin

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Casey's on 90th street in Omaha is 3.55 for 87 octane, BP up the street is 3.09

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron