What’s going at Casey’s?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I’m on the flip of this over here in NW. Casey’s is my go to. It’s always fast clean and the folks behind the counter are friendly. We do have an older Casey’s near the interstate that’s a bit rundown but the people working there have been great in my experience. We stop at the Casey’s in Early a lot too and have had a similar experience. Most of them take contactless payment at the pump anymore too which is a plus when I’m in a hurry.

Reactions: ISUguy

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
Gas station related but if you are looking for a quick 30 minute podcast….Kwik Trip (Kwik Star) has one called Kwik Cast. They just recently interviewed Charlie Berens among other famous Wisconsinites and talk how gas station logistics work.

Last edited:

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The Caseys’s in our 1400 pop small town print’s money for the corporate profit line. Only “convenience” food/gas outlet around & the door never shuts. Over 1,000 jobs here & 80% drive in from a 50 mile radius which explains the store traffic. Items off the shelves are extremely overpriced and the sandwiches and pizzas are very good. They sell a lot of food because it is fast, tastes good & not over priced. The Caseys’s in the small towns with no competition are the core of the profitability for Casey’s Corporate imo.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Went into my local Casey's yesterday and it was good news / bad news, was able to get a couple bottles of Korbel for the Thanksgiving mimosas which pleasantly surprised me but then all their coffee makers were down...how the f^ck are you supposed to be a Casey's with no coffee???

Reactions: Winchester

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Casey’s is a great example of a company that grew so fast that it forgot what made it great in the first place. With the rapid territorial expansion, quality seems to be sacrificed with so many things broken, lack of customer service, and a logo that isn’t nostalgic for the customers that grew up with a Casey’s in their hometown.

HyVee is on a similar path I’m afraid.

Casey’s still has pizza and HyVee still has Chinese food right?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Traveled across 4 states for Thanksgiving.

Every location is a **** show.

Pumps don’t work.

Credit cards not accepted.

Bathrooms out of order.

Staff clueless.

I am a shareholder so a bit dismayed.

Meanwhile the Quick Star north of Iowa City? Thst place is heavenly.
With the exception of the bathrooms, this has been most Cedar Rapids Casey's for the past 5 years. The card readers at the one in Robbins were broke for over a year. Kwik Star is cleaning their clock and rightfully so.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Casey’s is good for pizza but I try to avoid them besides that. Hyvee gas and Kwik Star are massively better experiences both pumping gas and being in the store

Kwik Trip has way better coffee and if ine wanted, they could get simple healthy options for groceries in a pinch.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have had pay at the pump bit work the last 2 times I went, and have had trouble with it reading the chip in my debit card for months. Avoid the place almost completely now.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Generally, Kwik Star customer service is elite compared to Casey's. I often leave Casey's wanting the employee fired on the spot because they seem tired, disinterested & poorly trained.
Well yeah, they work at a gas station. I worked at a gas station through high school and college. You think gas station employees are bad, try dealing with the customers.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It is. VERY cheap bananas, onions, potatoes. Eggs, milk, juice, bread, butter are all grocery store price (not gas station marked up). Decent baked goods, good selection of hot sandwiches, outstanding chicken.
I had their chicken for the first time a couple weeks ago upon prompting by a coworker. I was genuinely shocked at how good it was.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This Kwik Star place sounds enchanting...
We stopped in one at Ames on a Sunday early morning and I was very much surprised, reminded me a lot of a smaller Bucky's from Texas. Clean, decent donuts, and the employee said he liked working there.
Kind of like going from Sam's Club to a Costco.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I had their chicken for the first time a couple weeks ago upon prompting by a coworker. I was genuinely shocked at how good it was.
In the summer we’ll buy the cold packs of chicken if we have outside plans.
The tenders are very meaty/quality.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We stopped in one at Ames on a Sunday early morning and I was very much surprised, reminded me a lot of a smaller Bucky's from Texas. Clean, decent donuts, and the employee said he liked working there.
Kind of like going from Sam's Club to a Costco.
That’s a good comparison.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Haha... I think I know who you are referring to. You are not wrong.
She’s always affable, but just clearly gives 0 ***** about customer service.

Fun story about the west Casey’s in your town - this summer I was driving through late morning while out taking drone pics of our fields, and pulled in to get a wrap. I still really prefer wraps/sandwiches from Casey’s if I can get them. Anyways, I go in and the gal behind the sub counter is making sandwiches. I ask her if I can get a wrap and she just goes “no, I’m taking break in 2 minutes”.

So I just left and went to Kwik Star