***West Virginia Week Thread***

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Anyone have any tips on staying comfortable during a cold, rainy game?

I'm packing a waterproof rain jacket, waterproof pants, waterproof socks, and of course hat/gloves.
Also I picked up a cheap seat pad and have some hot hands.

Also I'm debating between a red poncho or my broomball club jersey (lightweight hockey style jersey) to have ISU colors on (versus the green/grey of the rain coat/pants).

Not sure what else there is to be done.

hand warmers in your shoes and obviously hands. Those things work. Good socks and shoes, waterproof boots if you have them. Winter gear turtleneck, sweatshirt and a down coat usually does the trick for me. A quality hood is the key though.

Reactions: nrg4isu

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
hand warmers in your shoes and obviously hands. Those things work. Good socks and shoes, waterproof boots if you have them. Winter gear turtleneck, sweatshirt and a down coat usually does the trick for me. A quality hood is the key though.

Why not just toe warmers?

Or do hand warmers in shoes actually work better (future reference for non football stuff)

Kimber45

Dec 20, 2020
I want to see ISU come out and play like a team who got knocked to the mat twice, gets up, and carries forward like there is nothing left to play for except the opportunity to play in (and win) the conference championship game.

When expectations are stratospherically high an early season loss can resound into the next game, at best, or ruin and entire season, at worst. Obviously ISU has reorganized with a great win over the No. 8 Pokes. But have we seen their ceiling yet?

How the Cyclones play on Saturday will say a lot about how the season turns out.

Trap style game but by no means against a cupcake.

24-17.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Anything can happen, but ISU has absolutely own WVU for the last few years. Not talking about just winning, but absolutely burying them. Take care of the ball and play the usually good defense and I see ISU winning by 20.

One disappointment so far in the season is that ISU has not gotten a lot of interceptions. They have been in the right place several times and just didn't make the play. Need to fix that.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
WVU had three takeaways in their road win over TCU last week. Their coaches said that was a point of emphasis. With very wet conditions this Saturday, that's the one element of this game that scares me the most. If we don't lose the turnover battle (big if), I feel very good about our chances.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I want to see ISU come out and play like a team who got knocked to the mat twice, gets up, and carries forward like there is nothing left to play for except the opportunity to play in (and win) the conference championship game.

When expectations are stratospherically high an early season loss can resound into the next game, at best, or ruin and entire season, at worst. Obviously ISU has reorganized with a great win over the No. 8 Pokes. But have we seen their ceiling yet?

How the Cyclones play on Saturday will say a lot about how the season turns out.

24-17.

We haven't really fallen prey to many trap games under Campbell as the season goes on. The beginning of seasons have plagued us more than anything.

We should fare well against WVU, but weather could always keep the game closer than we prefer. Close games magnify a dumb turnover or a fluke mistake.

I think we'll be close though the first quarter and a half and then keep their ground game under control the remainder of the game to win 31-14.

Good luck to your Ducks against the Buffalo. Injuries have been brutal for you guys. On the positive side, Thibodeaux, Sewell and McKinley have been killing it this year,

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Anything can happen, but ISU has absolutely own WVU for the last few years. Not talking about just winning, but absolutely burying them. Take care of the ball and play the usually good defense and I see ISU winning by 20.

One disappointment so far in the season is that ISU has not gotten a lot of interceptions. They have been in the right place several times and just didn't make the play. Need to fix that.
Hell, one of the INT our guys did come up with was actually a negative play on a 4th down attempt by UNI, where they threw the ball 30 yards down the field and if our guy just bats it down, we get the ball in much better field position. You really can't make up some of this stuff about luck and turnovers, it is baffling how some teams just have a nose for them, cause them, right place right time, score off of them etc. (iowa) and others seem almost allergic, dropping balls that hit them in the hands, not recovering fumbles, and turning turnovers into net negative plays (ISU).

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Looks light light rain Friday and Sat AM pre game and should end before game time. Is their field real grass?
I was thinking it is artificial turf.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Why not just toe warmers?

Or do hand warmers in shoes actually work better (future reference for non football stuff)

haha I guess I didn't know about toe warmers. I just always would put the hand warmers in my socks, and I was surprised how well it worked. I imagine the "technology" is similar.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
haha I guess I didn't know about toe warmers. I just always would put the hand warmers in my socks, and I was surprised how well it worked. I imagine the "technology" is similar.

Toe warmers have stickem so they stay in place.

My layers usually go regular sock>warmers>wool sock if room allows.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
From the WVU message board:.(always good for a laugh... )

"Rain or shine, I will be there"
Reply: "Did someone say 'shine?"

"ISU will be a tough nut to crack but unpredictability is the most predictable thing about college football because it's played by guys who are unpredictable about girls, driving cars, money, etc. They are between the boy and man stages of life".

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: aauummm and nrg4isu

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Has anyone done research for how well CMC teams play in "trap" or look ahead situations?

I would hope this super senior lead team is above let downs when you are back in contention for a title. But the scars from September, turnovers and special teams are still healing

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Hell, one of the INT our guys did come up with was actually a negative play on a 4th down attempt by UNI, where they threw the ball 30 yards down the field and if our guy just bats it down, we get the ball in much better field position. You really can't make up some of this stuff about luck and turnovers, it is baffling how some teams just have a nose for them, cause them, right place right time, score off of them etc. (iowa) and others seem almost allergic, dropping balls that hit them in the hands, not recovering fumbles, and turning turnovers into net negative plays (ISU).

This situation always bugs me, but it's gotta be hard for a CB or safety to not catch the ball when it's gift-wrapped to them.

I don't remember the exact games, but I've seen it happen several times where an interception occurs on 4th down and then they get stripped while running it back (since they really don't ever have to deal with securing the ball) and give the offense a fresh set of downs.

It has to drive a defensive coordinator crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Kimber45

Dec 20, 2020
Good luck to your Ducks against the Buffalo. Injuries have been brutal for you guys. On the positive side, Thibodeaux, Sewell and McKinley have been killing it this year,
Appreciate the well wishes. I think Oregon's ceiling is a PAC championship and a NY6 invite. Hopefully the Rose is not a playoff venue this year. But Oregon is not a complete team right now with injuries and QB play.

TBH, because 2020 CFB was such a boondoggle I'm just happy to be able to watch a full season again. I have no interest in rankings or bowl matchups right now.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Has anyone done research for how well CMC teams play in "trap" or look ahead situations?

I would hope this super senior lead team is above let downs when you are back in contention for a title. But the scars from September, turnovers and special teams are still healing

2017 @ WV (the ensuing gut wrenching losses to OSU and K State really hurt) & 2018 @ Texas (went to that game, awesome day in Austin but terrible performance by the Clones) come to mind. Hard to find many classic trap games when the weakest performances of the year have been out of the gate.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
KSU is more balanced on offense than WV. Defensively, they are probably better, and time zone changes never good. However, WV special teams are worse. Overall I think a less complete and competitive team than KSU, and a more favorable matchup for ISU.

That said, have to play clean or anything can happen. Won't score tons of points on them at their place; can't help them with turnovers.

Hopefully, WV will have a letdown after a win on the road. If they Doege would throw a couple picks, that'd be appreciated.
Have to watch out for the random pot shots from the south endzone.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

24-17.
I definitely remember the first two. Who is McKinley?

Help Support Us

Become a patron