West Virginia Preview

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
West Virginia Preview
This shouldn’t come as a surprise to you, but WVU plays more players on a regular basis than anyone else in the league. There are NINE players averaging at least 15 minutes per game. While that provides the starters rest and keeps them fresh (only Bussie averages close to 30 minutes per) do they actually produce?

When it comes to scoring, four of the starting five account for the preponderance of points. The sixth player, Taylor Palmer comes off the bench and averages nearly 12 points per game. That’s huge. The remainder of those that see time all chip in something…typically in the 3-4 point per game range.

What stands out to me is not the offensive production of this team. They average around 78 points per game which is pretty good (ISU averages 79). Defensively they only give up 59 as compared to the Sisters’ 57. Something will have to give here. Probably like the OSU game neither team will live up to its offensive averages. Something will have to bend here and I can only imagine that WVU is salivating over how OSU stopped the Sisters.

Defensively you can expect a lot more of what we saw versus OSU. They will defend the perimeter and will double Hal every chance they get. If the officials let them play rough they will play rough. That is exactly how they beat the ladies in Hilton last year. They let their reserves physically beat the crap out of our team and then put fresh starters in to close the game. It worked. If the officials are calling things normally (for this season) then I give a slight advantage to ISU.

The one thing that WVU isn’t known for is three point shooting. Like OSU they like to do their damage inside. Not that they won’t put it up, but outside of Holmes (35%) they haven’t shot the three particularly well this season. But even their stats far exceed the abnormal 18% that ISU shot against OSU.

Tough rebounding team and of special interest, WVU has gotten to the line far more than the Sisters have. They don’t shoot it quite as well, but they are averaging 28 free throws per game. Also of interest…most of the girls that foul out of games for WVU are reserves. Paint a picture?

All of this should point to a hard driving inside game. If ISU actually performs on offense like normal I expect a tightly fought game. If the ISU defense can also perform at a normal level (i.e. Kidd not getting 4 fouls in 11 minutes with no other production and the ladies clearing the glass and thereby limiting second chance opportunities) I would slightly favor our ladies. In either case expect a very tough one.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I never really liked to apply the term "must win" to any game but particularly at the midway mark of the season. However considering how difficult the task is to win on the road in Big 12 play. I would say losing two in a row at home is a no-no to say the least. So I guess I'm saying this is very close to a "must win". If the sisters lose to WVU they will certainly be making things much more difficult for themselves. Better get-er-done girls.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
As Cous points out, they are a fresh legs team, but unless they can hit threes, I expect ISU to pack the lane and frustrate them.

I also expect BF to have some new wrinkles, and the players to have special motivation.

I think the Cyclones rebound in this game, and have a solid 10 - 20 point win. If we had won against OSU, I think this would have been a tighter game as foes are always motivated to beat an unbeaten team, and that mark is off their back now.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I don't know why WVU hasn't gotten more attention than it has. We're 14-1 and they are 14-2. One loss was on the road to Ohio State and the other to Baylor. They beat OSU in Stillwater. Other than Hilton magic, WVU ought to be favored.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If the ladies don't come out and play Twister Sister type ball I expect WVU to win by double digits. If we play like we normally do...moving the ball, slash and burn, hit the open three, etc...State wins going away.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
One of the things I don't like about cupcake schedules, it makes it so hard to tell who is good entering conference season.

I think ISU has more match up advantages in this game. WVU defense is good, but our lowest score of the year was 62, against OSU, and it was an off/bad night. WVU comes in averaging 63.5 points in Big 12 league play.

They are struggling on offense. They have had many nights when they haven't even scored 60.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are a solid team, probably 1 of my top 4 for the conference, but sometimes people forget we usually play good defense too.

For the year, ISU with a tougher schedule(based on SOS RPI of 47 versus OSU at 89) is holding teams to an average of 57.7 points. West Virginia, 59.

WV is also averaging about .288 from 3, so I suspect ISU to pack it in.

If ISU scores more than 65, which they have done every game this year except one(OSU-62) then win this game.

IRONY - ISU's 62 points against OSU was the second highest they have given up all season - 1st most was WVU at 71.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I never really liked to apply the term "must win" to any game but particularly at the midway mark of the season. However considering how difficult the task is to win on the road in Big 12 play. I would say losing two in a row at home is a no-no to say the least. So I guess I'm saying this is very close to a "must win". If the sisters lose to WVU they will certainly be making things much more difficult for themselves. Better get-er-done girls.
I agree, for aspirations of winning the conference, this is a must win game. This is the type of team that gives us the most difficulty, I am plenty worried. Especially after OSU.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Greetings yall. Does anyone know if there is a way to watch this game other than the cyclones.tv pay per view site?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron