Wesley Staten on iowa preps

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
One thing that think will/could firm up Staten's commitment would be a commitment from Harrison Barnes. I wonder if these two have talked or played together? Dykstra, Kelm, Barnes, Colvin, Kadima & Staten sounds like a pretty damn good squad! :wink:

Yea post play will be awesome with this group. :jimlad:

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Yea post play will be awesome with this group. :jimlad:

That my friend is the 100,000 dollar question under the McD era. Where are the big men?

I've been mildly impressed with the recruiting to date. We need to land some quality big men soon.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
kufan, they are both good players. You say you don't see one stat where CB is above aldrich; according to the Big 12, CB is ahead in points, but most of their stats are close. Is the differential of cole and CBs' fg % a product of the players or the team. Again, switch teams, and CB would be All-Big 12, aldrich would not.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
kufan, they are both good players. You say you don't see one stat where CB is above aldrich; according to the Big 12, CB is ahead in points, but most of their stats are close. Is the differential of cole and CBs' fg % a product of the players or the team. Again, switch teams, and CB would be All-Big 12, aldrich would not.

Points per game has to be one of the more useless stats out there when looked at alone. I think every wing player on a Steve Nash-Mike D'Antoni team proves that. Look at it this way, swarthmore, CB takes over 35% of his team's shots. Cole takes under 22% of his team's shots. (source) And really, points is the only statistic where CB stands out over Cole. Cole has a far better FG% and FT%. CB's 27% 3-point% isn't really an advantage at all because 27% 3-point% is bad (it translates to 40% 2-point%). Looking at their offensive ratings, CB is actually one of the worst in the Big 12 at each usage rate, while Cole is top 10 in the country for those using at least 20% of their team's possessions. (source)

Despite playing less minutes, Cole is outrebounding CB on both ends of the court. Assists are even, but Cole's A/T ratio is better than CB's. Cole also blocks more than 5% of every shot his opponenet takes, tops in the Big 12. CB is below 2% in the same category, #16 in the Big 12. (source)

Additionally, CA plays a premium position, which also increases his value.

I don't buy your argument that if they switched teams, it would change anything. CB would get far less shots if he was on KU, and probably wouldn't play more than 20 minutes a game until he learned how to play tough. I don't see how KU would be a better team in any way if they replaced CA with CB. I'm not sure how CB would magically be All Big 12 if he played for KU. CA would be an immediate defensive upgrade over CB at ISU. His presence would allow ISU's perimeter defense to play tighter. A good shot-blocking center can erase defensive mistakes by his teammates.

I bet GMac would trade Brackins for Cole if he could. There's no way in hell Self trades away Cole for Brackins.

Again, both are fine players, and I'm excited by the progress Brackins has made, but at this point there's no reason to think that he's better than Aldrich.

Last edited:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Points per game has to be one of the more useless stats out there when looked at alone. I think every wing player on a Steve Nash-Mike D'Antoni team proves that. Look at it this way, swarthmore, CB takes over 35% of his team's shots. Cole takes under 22% of his team's shots. (source) And really, points is the only statistic where CB stands out over Cole. Cole has a far better FG% and FT%. CB's 27% 3-point% isn't really an advantage at all because 27% 3-point% is bad (it translates to 40% 2-point%). Looking at their offensive ratings, CB is actually one of the worst in the Big 12 at each usage rate, while Cole is top 10 in the country for those using at least 20% of their team's possessions. (source)

Despite playing less minutes, Cole is outrebounding CB on both ends of the court. Assists are even, but Cole's A/T ratio is better than CB's. Cole also blocks more than 5% of every shot his opponenet takes, tops in the Big 12. CB is below 2% in the same category, #16 in the Big 12. (source)

Additionally, CA plays a premium position, which also increases his value.

I don't buy your argument that if they switched teams, it would change anything. CB would get far less shots if he was on KU, and probably wouldn't play more than 20 minutes a game until he learned how to play tough. I don't see how KU would be a better team in any way if they replaced CA with CB. I'm not sure how CB would magically be All Big 12 if he played for KU. CA would be an immediate defensive upgrade over CB at ISU. His presence would allow ISU's perimeter defense to play tighter. A good shot-blocking center can erase defensive mistakes by his teammates.

I bet GMac would trade Brackins for Cole if he could. There's no way in hell Self trades away Cole for Brackins.

Again, both are fine players, and I'm excited by the progress Brackins has made, but at this point there's no reason to think that he's better than Aldrich.

You make that statement and than follow it up w/ "I don't buy your argument that if they switched teams, it would change anything."

So having Steve Nash and co helps wing players out, but having Sharron Collins doesn't help Aldrich? Explain to me how that works please

Reactions: Clone_12

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I know this thread is meant to be about Staten but I find the Brackins vs. Alrdich comparison very intriguing.

First off, they play 2 totally different positions, so you can't truly compare them

Second, they play for 2 different teams. To say that doens't matter would be wrong. Brackins sees a lot more double teams than Aldrich see's. Main reason being is that Kansas has more guys that can make you pay for doubling down than Iowa State currently has. Therefore it is not too surprising to see that Cole has a better shooting percentage and better overall numbers even w/ less shots. Craig has to be the scorer for us to succeed and Cole does not for Kansas.

Iowa State needs a Craig Brackins more than they need a Cole Aldrich. Cole would struggle to get his shots b/c he is limited athletically and Iowa State doesn't have the guys to set him up right now. Craig is more athletic and therefore can create for himself more.

Kansas needs Cole Aldrich more than they need a Craig Brackins. They have guys similar to Craig there already and are athletic at every position thus taking a lot of pressure of Cole to do it himself. Cole provides a true center for them and is going to be the key for them when that youth develops.

They are both great players that will be AVERAGE NBA players. Aldrich would probably like to have an NBA career comparable to Chris Kaman.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Does anyone remember the difference between Fizer his sophomore and junior seasons? He was still really good his sophomore year, but when we added Tinsley and Horton he became a completely dominant player...He improved some-but the main reason for his breakout year was he had players around him, so defenses couldn't just key on him...he even took less shot attempts, but scored more, due to taking better shots, and getting the ball in better positions to score (thanks to tinsley)...if Brackins played for Kansas, he wouldn't be taking as many shots, but his fg percentage would be MUCH better.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Fizer's body went through a transformation that off-season as well.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Fizer's body went through a transformation that off-season as well.

True, no doubt he improved...but the main thing was having Jamaal and Kantrail...if teams keyed on Marcus, Jamaal, Kantrail, and Michael Nurse made them pay...therefore, he was left with MUCH better matchups then he was his sophomore year...

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Sounds like we have a good shot at Gesell too by reading that article.

"Someday, they could be teammates.

"Oh yeah, that would be big," Staten said with a smile."

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames

Ya it sounds like Gesell can really play too. That would be a nice backcourt for the future

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006

Mac coached Gessel's older brother at Wayne State, so we've got a big in with him.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Assuming it's actually his, Wesley's myspace page says that he's 17. Maybe he has a hard time in school? Who knows. It's not my business.