Wes Johnson...guess he's always been a little indecisive

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I wish he would have showed a little toughness and stayed too. Would have made a world of difference for us. Heck, he was probably a draft pick after last year is he sticks around.

Reactions: cyfanatic

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I wish he would have showed a little toughness and stayed too. Would have made a world of difference for us. Heck, he was probably a draft pick after last year is he sticks around.

It probably was a maturity issue. I dont think he is a bad person at heart.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I'm not going to begrudge the kid's decision, but I think he left a good situation here at ISU.

I really can't believe Boeheim is holding his hand any more than McDermott was.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Definitely agree....we all have choices in life. Some you're ready to handle and some you're not.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not going to begrudge the kid's decision, but I think he left a good situation here at ISU.

I really can't believe Boeheim is holding his hand any more than McDermott was.

Really? I begrudge the kid's decision. Even IF the reason he left started and ended at the mean head coach (which I really doubt) he certainly choose the cowards way out by quitting in May rather than quitting in March like every other player that bolts (and Iowa State certainly knows teams bolting....).

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
It will be interesting to see how he can bang in the Big East. Its a lot more physical in that league, I wonder if Wes with a year off with be able to get off to a fast start.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
I would like nothing more than for him to get hurt again...yeah I lost TONS of repsect for him, no matter it being ISU or not. I lost the same respect for Tyler Smith at Iowa, Ben Hansborough at Miss State, and Seth Curry at Liberty. They gave you the ability to shine and you reward the school with a cloud of dust. :no:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Really? I begrudge the kid's decision. Even IF the reason he left started and ended at the mean head coach (which I really doubt) he certainly choose the cowards way out by quitting in May rather than quitting in March like every other player that bolts (and Iowa State certainly knows teams bolting....).

Eh, people have the right to do what they think is best for themselves. Would we like that to coincide with what's best for the rest of us? Yes, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Kind of like Bell and McDowell quitting the FB team...they had their reasons, and they are adults who are able to make their own decisions.

Another example...I'm in the middle of a job search, and will likely take whatever job comes my way, even if it's not ideal. If I got a better offer shortly after, I would probably bolt, because it would be better for me and my family. Would it be hard to do? Would it be selfish? Yes, but I'd do it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would like nothing more than for him to get hurt again...yeah I lost TONS of repsect for him, no matter it being ISU or not. I lost the same respect for Tyler Smith at Iowa, Ben Hansborough at Miss State, and Seth Curry at Liberty. They gave you the ability to shine and you reward the school with a cloud of dust. :no:

Tyler left to be with his Dad who subsequently died with Tyler thankfully nearby. Smith is a db. :jimlad:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Kind of an interesting story. Really puts him jumping ship at ISU in perspective.

Gotta take all of WJ's comments on leaving Iowa State with a grain of salt. Johnson jumping ship had plenty to do with a couple of SEC schools. I am sure there was a reason ISU refused to release him to Kentucky and Alabama, but was fine with Syracuse, Ohio State, etc. Something shady was definitely going on.

Reactions: cyismydog

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I know it's a dead issue, but it really came off as "life is too tough, time to try something easier"

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
Agree with Johnpkelly. Wonder what GMAC knows about this 'tenuous' relationship he mentioned.